5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

$20/month to use mobile start or unlock!?

MarvinK

Reaction score
My free first year of uConnect recently ran out, and I am shocked and disappointed to discover basic mobile app functions like remote start or remote unlock require a minimum $20/month service. These features were totally free on my 2014 Silverado, and Ford also offers them for free.

Totally disgusted at the cost, and disappointed I didn’t pick this up until a year after I bought the truck. Raising the visibility here for those researching new trucks, or those still in the one year honeymoon phase.

Biscuitz23

Reaction score
It's probably not worth it to be honest. I mean it would be a nice convenience for me but it always take like 5 mins before it actually gets the signal and start the engine. I rather just use the remote start from my key fob.

Zinger

Reaction score
It's probably not worth it to be honest. I mean it would be a nice convenience for me but it always take like 5 mins before it actually gets the signal and start the engine. I rather just use the remote start from my key fob.

I tried remote start exactly once. As I was stepping off a train I sent the remote start request. About 4 minutes later I arrived at the truck and it still had not started. At that point I declared XM Guardian services as useless and haven't tried any since.

If you're going to charge money for something it needs to work, period. I do like my SXM radio though.

Zeeya

Reaction score
I tried remote start exactly once. As I was stepping off a train I sent the remote start request. About 4 minutes later I arrived at the truck and it still had not started. At that point I declared XM Guardian services as useless and haven't tried any since.

If you're going to charge money for something it needs to work, period. I do like my SXM radio though.
I’d had the truck for 5 weeks and set up everything with the dealer when I picked her up. I have tried the remote start with my iPhone 4 times and I have received 4 fail responses. Will go back by stealer when I get home

Hunts99

Reaction score
I have been trying to cost justify this myself. I use the application to start my truck to try to make it cooler / warmer when I get to it (I live in MN). I have only had a few hiccups with the application and use it quite a bit, but $20/month is really kind of gouging all of us. If it was $100/yr, to me that may be more palatable.

However, the application is the only way I am actually putting addresses into my navigation to store them or find other locations. The native navigation hardly finds addresses at all. I have to use the "Send N Go" feature from the application to actually get the native navigation to find an address which is more of an issue with the navigation (12" screen) than the application.

Additionally, if you re-up with Sirius Radio, that is another few hundred dollars per year. So to keep it status quo after the first year, that is extremely costly.

Last edited:

Str8Cracker

Reaction score
Disappointed here also, as I use the app in the winter to start my truck regularly. Unfortunately parking at one of my offices can be about a block away. Previously I had a Sierra Denali and like the previous statement, it worked at no extra cost until the day I traded it in. No way I would pay $20 a month for that feature. I rarely use the XM to help balance the fee.

W13NY

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Its funny how even Hyundai even offers this for free with all their cars

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My subscription to Guardian ended yesterday and I received an email from them asking me to come back with a promotion of $60 for 6 months.
Still a pass for me at that $ amount. With it being hit and miss with it working for me I won't pay a dime once my free subscription ends.

RAMpage

Reaction score
They really need to start from scratch with their packages. No one is going to buy the top package just to get the remote start/lock/unlock features... especially when it takes minutes to work.
I might consider $10-12/m for using the remote start over the winter months (since I park far from the office) but that's about it.
And the fact the 12" UConnect users get FEWER features in the App compared to the 8.4" users isn't helping convince me to keep it...

Firepower2010

Reaction score
The U connect is USELESS GARBAGE.... They need to take a lesson from Tesla, their app controls the car INSTANTLY. U Connect on the other hand, press button, wait, wait...oh wait, screw it, I am already within FOB distance, COMPLETELY USELESS

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The U connect is USELESS GARBAGE.... They need to take a lesson from Tesla, their app controls the car INSTANTLY. U Connect on the other hand, press button, wait, wait...oh wait, screw it, I am already within FOB distance, COMPLETELY USELESS
It does take a long time for sure. My Volvos start much much faster. It is still a nice feature though but not for the price they want.

Viper67

Reaction score
Get the viper smartstart. Costs $95 a year and does unlock, remote start from either the factory fob or the app. You can add on the alarm module and have a great alarm also and get a discount on insurance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BostonBLS

Reaction score
Get the viper smartstart. Costs $95 a year and does unlock, remote start from either the factory fob or the app. You can add on the alarm module and have a great alarm also and get a discount on insurance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Please tell us more...

Users who are viewing this thread