5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2" Spacer Lift Question

Nick54

Reaction score
I have seen 2 approaches to leveling front with back end, dissemble strut, insert spacer and reassemble/reinstall. The other is to add the spacer to the top of the strut and reinstall. I am interested to hear the pro's and con's and why one may be preferred over the other.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have seen 2 approaches to leveling front with back end, dissemble strut, insert spacer and reassemble/reinstall. The other is to add the spacer to the top of the strut and reinstall. I am interested to hear the pro's and con's and why one may be preferred over the other.
The top hat spacer is the preferred way to go. It keeps the ride closer to stock, but does reduce up travel for the strut. The in strut spacer results in a slightly bumpier ride because it changes the spring rate and stretches the strut out. As a result you lose down travel for the strut and it will bottom out quicker. After having both, I can say the top hat spacer results in a smoother ride.

Nick54

Reaction score
The top hat spacer is the preferred way to go. It keeps the ride closer to stock, but does reduce up travel for the strut. The in strut spacer results in a slightly bumpier ride because it changes the spring rate and stretches the strut out. As a result you lose down travel for the strut and it will bottom out quicker. After having both, I can say the top hat spacer results in a smoother ride.
What vehicle do you have the top hat installed on? How big is the spacer?

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What vehicle do you have the top hat installed on? How big is the spacer?
I've got the top hat on my 2019. I went with the Readylift kit with new control arms. The spacer is maybe 1.5" thick. Installed it myself in about 3 hours time.
I had the spring spacer on my 2013 and it was rougher after adding it. The top hat on my 2019 you wouldn't even know is there.

Nick54

Reaction score
I've got the top hat on my 2019. I went with the Readylift kit with new control arms. The spacer is maybe 1.5" thick. Installed it myself in about 3 hours time.
I had the spring spacer on my 2013 and it was rougher after adding it. The top hat on my 2019 you wouldn't even know is there.
I live in Northeast Ohio and also own a 2010 Tacoma that has been lifted and modified for off road. It seems that every suspension part I installed has rusted or oxidized. I think most of this stuff is manufactured on the west coast. All that to ask, what part of the country do you live in and how are the UCA's holding up with regard to rust?

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I live in Northeast Ohio and also own a 2010 Tacoma that has been lifted and modified for off road. It seems that every suspension part I installed has rusted or oxidized. I think most of this stuff is manufactured on the west coast. All that to ask, what part of the country do you live in and how are the UCA's holding up with regard to rust?
I live in central Texas, so very little snow and never by the beach. Rust won't be an issue for me. That being said the Readylift spacers are made out of billet aluminum and I think would hold up pretty good anywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread