5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1st Oil/Lube

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Does no one punch a hole in the filter to drain it before removing it? This has always helped keep things clean for me on my vehicles.
Nope, never done that, and it was never needed. But if you do it on the Ram, the oil will still get all over the steering rack. Have you not changed the oil in the DT Ram?

BrandonSmith

Reaction score
Nope, never done that, and it was never needed. But if you do it on the Ram, the oil will still get all over the steering rack. Have you not changed the oil in the DT Ram?
I haven't change my oil as I'm still within the Ram Care period of free oil changes. Just asking if someone has done this. Looking at the oil filter placement, it seems like punching a hole in the side of the filter would greatly reduce the amount of oil that gets on the steering rack as it would likely squirt out the punched hole away from the steering rack. Sure, you would get some dribbling at the end of the flow, but much less than just cracking the oil filter open.

vincentw56

Reaction score
I haven't change my oil as I'm still within the Ram Care period of free oil changes. Just asking if someone has done this. Looking at the oil filter placement, it seems like punching a hole in the side of the filter would greatly reduce the amount of oil that gets on the steering rack as it would likely squirt out the punched hole away from the steering rack. Sure, you would get some dribbling at the end of the flow, but much less than just cracking the oil filter open.
Cracking the oil filter open doesn't create the mess, bring it down and through the limited space does. I don't see how putting a hole in it would change anything. But report back once you have done your own oil change and let us know.

BrandonSmith

Reaction score
Cracking the oil filter open doesn't create the mess, bring it down and through the limited space does. I don't see how putting a hole in it would change anything. But report back once you have done your own oil change and let us know.
The idea is to empty the filter in a more controlled/predictable manner prior to removal. It's something I learned on another vehicle and implemented on other vehicles. Has been a big help for me, especially for the horizontal oil filter stashed behind the frame on my Harley.

It's an idea. I haven't seen that discussed on the DT forums. Throwing an idea out there. Maybe someone will expand on it.

vincentw56

Reaction score
The idea is to empty the filter in a more controlled/predictable manner prior to removal. It's something I learned on another vehicle and implemented on other vehicles. Has been a big help for me, especially for the horizontal oil filter stashed behind the frame on my Harley.

It's an idea. I haven't seen that discussed on the DT forums. Throwing an idea out there. Maybe someone will expand on it.
Well, that's why I said once you do it, let us know. That way, we can all learn.

Jmac509

Reaction score
I loosen the filter then wrap a Zip lock bag around before unscrewing it the rest of the way to try to avoid the mess.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I bought a filter cap that screws in to the top of the filter once removed but I am not sure if there is enough room to put it on the filter without spilling it anyway.

Attachments

• Cap Plug.jpg
    Cap Plug.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 3

Dewey

Reaction score
Oil Udder with a hose attached into a drain pan or jug. Easiest way I have found to remove the filter. Last two times I didn’t spill a drop.

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
It's always been "full synthetic". The only thing that changed was the "official" definition of what a synthetic oil was. It used to mean a true group 4 synthetic, like Amsoil, made from PAO or other man made sources. Then Castrol started selling group 3 hydro cracked oil marketing it as synthetic because it had the same properties as the PAO based synthetic. Mobil1 sued Castrol and lost. So now most of the synthetic oil you buy from major brands in any local store is a group 3 hydrocrcked synthetic, including Mobil1. Even Amsoil sells a cheaper group 3 oil now. Mobil1 use to be a PAO oil before the Castrol lawsuit.

I believe that's what I was thinking of. I know many years ago I had been using Mobil 1 religiously thinking it was full synthetic but then being really disappointed when I realized it was not.

Well if it is a tick, look up "HEMI tick" and you might realize it is a broken bolt on the exhaust manifold (typically passenger side, rear bolt) allowing exhaust gas to escape/leak. Just did mine this weekend and if you're "lucky" is very obvious as the sheared off stud under the bolt head you can identify if that is the case by simply pushing on the heat shield and it will readily move indicating the underside of the stud snapped. Mine was the rear stud on the passenger side of the exhaust manifold. The entire cast iron manifold was warped pretty bad (1/8" from front to back) and likely would recur. Assuming the warping was thermally set in, used angle grinder to smooth out the difference (from about 1/8" down to maybe a 1/32" to 1/16" and with new gasket is performing well again. Alternatively consider new headers as this is an overall bad design if that warped. My truck has 75,500 miles on it so out of warranty.

This is good info. I'm keeping an eye on it just for the simple fact its a common known issue. The dealer has diagnosed mine as the hemi-tick. It's very intermittent and I believe it is the hemi tick because it does it after sitting overnight or long periods. This is when the oil drains down I suppose.

There are two different things known as "Hemi tick". One is the exhaust, and the other is the ticking of the lifters, on cold start, from them leaking down. The second goes away as soon as the oil has pressure, and is considered normal.

So both can actually be louder when cold which makes things tricky. In the beginning, with the broken manifold bolts, sometimes the leak is so small it makes a tick only when the truck is cold. As it gets hot, things expand and seal a little more. The most apparent broken manifold sounds you hear seem to be on a lot of the 4th gens. I've heard a couple going down the road and they make quite the racket.

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
Oil Udder with a hose attached into a drain pan or jug. Easiest way I have found to remove the filter. Last two times I didn’t spill a drop.

I find it super funny that the pic/video on their site is actually of them using it on a 5.7L. You can see the steering rack. Thanks Mopar lol.

I might have to get one of these.

Dewey

Reaction score
I find it super funny that the pic/video on their site is actually of them using it on a 5.7L. You can see the steering rack. Thanks Mopar lol.

I might have to get one of these.
Make sure you get the XL. The extra space around the filter is nice. I’m assuming those who say it doesn’t work are using the smaller one.

DeanM2

Reaction score
Just ordered one. Thank you!
Do you happen to know what size hose you added to it?

Dewey

Reaction score
Just ordered one. Thank you!
Do you happen to know what size hose you added to it?
Not sure on the size and not home to measure. I ordered my hose with the Udder.

IMG_9128.jpeg

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
great find. I ordered a combo set to use at the shop. The ramp thing that we use is about to die LOL

Jako

Reaction score
Does no one punch a hole in the side of the filter to drain it before removing it? This has always helped keep things clean for me on my vehicles.
I believe somewhere in the oil threads is something manufactured for that method and comes from the air line industry.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does no one punch a hole in the side of the filter to drain it before removing it? This has always helped keep things clean for me on my vehicles.
i do that when changing filter on FJ Cruiser, BRZ/ 86/ FRS, and some other cars that have filter mounted on top before draining the oil.
We are required to punch a hole on used filter in commiefailnia.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That is what we used @ work for oil changes on our log shovels. Made life a whole lot easier !
currently i just use one of those flexible aluminum thing as a ramp to guide the oil down. But if my arm accidentally brush it while it's dripping it's all hell break loose kind of situation...

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
i do that when changing filter on FJ Cruiser, BRZ/ 86/ FRS, and some other cars that have filter mounted on top before draining the oil.
We are required to punch a hole on used filter in commiefailnia.
I punch a hole in all my filters after removing to get all the oil drained out. Then after a few weeks in oil pan, they get tossed in trash

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online