5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1st oil change was a PITA!

ldoh

Reaction score
Ditto, I refuse to let the lowest form of auto tech touch my vehicles. Letting others do my maintenance is a slippery slope where I lose touch and stop lifting the hood. It's part of the experience until the cybertruck comes out. :)

Like most, I experienced two problems with the first change - getting the initial filter off and the close quarters. Not sure if 4wd makes it worse but they really positioned the engine far back I replaced the filter with correct hand tightening and hope the new installed fumoto valve helps to better control the oil flow direction.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Ditto, I refuse to let the lowest form of auto tech touch my vehicles. Letting others do my maintenance is a slippery slope where I lose touch and stop lifting the hood. It's part of the experience until the cybertruck comes out. :)

Like most, I experienced two problems with the first change - getting the initial filter off and the close quarters. Not sure if 4wd makes it worse but they really positioned the engine far back I replaced the filter with correct hand tightening and hope the new installed fumoto valve helps to better control the oil flow direction.
Sounds good.

I feel the same but I have two years of free oil changes. If they screw something up, they will have to pay for it.
After that, I will let my independent mechanic that takes care of our other vehicle do it (I could do it myself, but spilling oil on my pristine driveway is a non-starter for me).

Cheers,

Barney556180

Reaction score
I’ve used an oil extraction pump on many vehicles with god results. I can drain a motor without getting under the vehicle.

Of course the oil filter is still an issue, but not having to remove the drain plug is less messy, saves the washer, and avoids torque questions.

41magmag41

Reaction score
My dealer offers coupons for oil changes and tire rotations. $54.00 for oil filter, 7 quarts of synthetic oil and tire rotation. In and out in about 45 min. No mess no bother. Even has a three change special for $152.00

ldoh

Reaction score
Sounds good.

I feel the same but I have two years of free oil changes. If they screw something up, they will have to pay for it.
After that, I will let my independent mechanic that takes care of our other vehicle do it (I could do it myself, but spilling oil on my pristine driveway is a non-starter for me).

Cheers,
I agree, I avoid oil/filter changes on the driveway. Epoxy coated garage floors are much more forgiving.

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I didn't change my oil yet, cluster gauge is only 1/4 of the way to the recommended change time interval and only at 1600 or so miles, I changed the filter with WIX 57060XP and added a half a quart of 5W20 synthetic. That will hold me until full oil filter change when the computer tells me it's time. I did this for peace of mind to catch all the break-in period metallic fragments coming off things during that time period.
When buying the quart of oil & filter from Oriley's, I bought an oil filter wrench that worked pretty well to get the factory installed (by a gorilla) filter off and figured I'de share for someone looking...Performance Tool #W54310.

Last edited:

Ken Robbins

Reaction score
My dealer offers coupons for oil changes and tire rotations. $54.00 for oil filter, 7 quarts of synthetic oil and tire rotation. In and out in about 45 min. No mess no bother. Even has a three change special for $152.00

There's times you think they rotated your tires, but they never did. The oil at that price isn't full synthetic, I can do my own at that price using full synthetic. My issue with having the dealer do the oil changes and tire rotations is they have the lowest tier mechanic, more like a lube technician doing the services. If they do rotate the tires, the majority of the time they over torque the lug nuts. I trust myself more than someone working on my truck like it's on a production line.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Additional info on the below thread:

Similar wrench for the Amazon Prime folks from above post.

Jako

Reaction score
There's times you think they rotated your tires, but they never did. The oil at that price isn't full synthetic, I can do my own at that price using full synthetic. My issue with having the dealer do the oil changes and tire rotations is they have the lowest tier mechanic, more like a lube technician doing the services. If they do rotate the tires, the majority of the time they over torque the lug nuts. I trust myself more than someone working on my truck like it's on a production line.
Lug nuts torqued to specs. at 130 ft/lbs are tough to get off period, I don't want to think beyond. 2006 Honda accord is only 80.

Ken Robbins

Reaction score
Lug nuts torqued to specs. at 130 ft/lbs are tough to get off period, I don't want to think beyond. 2006 Honda accord is only 80.
I'm not worried about getting the lug nuts off, that's the easy part. The problem is damaging and stretching the threads on the wheel studs. I have a small Makita 1/2 inch compact impact that doesn't usually break a sweat taking lug nuts off, even at the 130 ft lbs of torque. I have the bigger brother with about 1200 ft lbs of torque that I shouldn't ever have to use on lug nuts. The bigger one is for big trucks/heavy equipment.
Makita XWT11Z 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Brushless Cordless 3-Speed 1/2" Sq. Drive Impact Wrench, Tool Only https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NCJQH1I/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_Up7jEbEDABHFK

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200121-212931_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200121-212931_Gallery.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My air impact takes them right off, put them back on with the same driver to 100 pound feet, finish the job with a torque wrench.
And I know the tires got rotated.

41magmag41

Reaction score
my dealer uses full synthetic, I watch the tech come get it and the filter. I mark one tire on each side and they do get rotated, I have a good dealer and he works with the customer all the time.

Jako

Reaction score
My air impact takes them right off, put them back on with the same driver to 100 pound feet, finish the job with a torque wrench.
And I know the tires got rotated.
What impact are you using? Just purchased a Dewalt DCF894B and worked as per your description. Great addition to the tire change. Should have done it sooner.

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Since this thread is alive again - anyone considered an oil filter relocation kit?

Yes, there's another thread out there, but it's been dead long enough not to resurrect it, thought i'd see if anyone in this group has considered/done it

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have changed the oil on my 2020 Laramie once so far. Didn't have an issue with the sway bar, so no oil was spilled from that. Maybe because I used ramps. I could have done it without ramps, but I prefer to use a creeper, and couldn't fit with it at stock height. The filter was on tight, but it wasn't really a problem using the slip joint pliers that Jako provided earlier. I use a quart size ziploc bag, and spilled only a few drops.

Since this thread is alive again - anyone considered an oil filter relocation kit?

Yes, there's another thread out there, but it's been dead long enough not to resurrect it, thought i'd see if anyone in this group has considered/done it
I'm planning to add one on my current truck. I installed one on my 2017 Rebel at the first oil change (@ 1000 miles), and it worked very well for me.

Pallman

Reaction score

Pallman

Reaction score
The ONLY oil filter removal tool that will work on the 2019 New Ram 1500 (without having reoccurring Migraines, and oil spilled everywhere) is a short handled, pivot handle, expandable Strap Wrench.
The filter can only drop ~3/4" vertically, before bottoming out on the frame.
Trust me on this point, people!

Stevenc150

Reaction score
I never use a wrench, my filters all break loose by hand. when installing new one: drop or so of clean oil on filter gasket face, screw on until gasket touches the engine, then tighten 1full turn by hand and STOP. Never, ever had a filter loosen after this; and ive always done my/our oil changes

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
my experience is just the opposite....i have no problem catching all of the oil from the drain pan even when it hits the sway bar, but that f..in oil filter pisses with me everytime. i just can't catch the oil using the ziplock bag method..
Stuff the whole area under the filter with paper towels. it catches most of it when you drain the oil first.

Users who are viewing this thread