5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1st Oil Change Questions - Warranty voiding...

TangoFoxtrot

Reaction score
All I can add, is that in my Jeep Wrangler, I always did my own oil changes. At 81k my lifters started getting noisy and Jeep/FCA replaced the lifters, rockers and cam free of charge under warranty and never asked me anything about oil changes. I suspect if they found the heads to be gunked up or in poor condition from bad oil they would have asked, but as long as you are using the recommended oil and and change intervals you won't have a warranty issue. I do keep my oil receipts and log the changes in the owners manual, but have never been asked for them. They can only deny the warranty if they can link the failure to you not following the recommended maintenance protocols. My brother in law had a transmission failure 100miles from being out of warranty, showed the receipt of the last fluid and change and they covered a replacement tranny even though it wasn't done by the dealership. So just keep your receipts and log the changes and you will be fine, otherwise find a different stealership for the repair work, if ever needed.

TangoFoxtrot

Reaction score
When I worked for Hyundai, they would void the warranty if it wasn't a Hyundai brand filter. It could be the exact same filter from the parts store, but if it didn't say "Hyundai" on it..you were out of luck.

I'd heard enough horror stories from FCA techs to know FCA warranty work is just as bad. It also hurts your resale value if you do not show oil changes.

For the toy or anything outside of warranty, I do all my own work. Anything that'd be questionable, it's going in to be done and tracked. Call it the CYA approach.
Kinda funny, I've never got a bad trade in price and I always do my own. On a previous post I mentioned that Jeep replaced my cam, lifter and rockers, guess what the carfax said? Routine maintenance performed or something like that. Whoever got that Jeep probably has no clue that the engine was worked on and torn apart, didn't even mention they changed the sparkplugs. I take those carfaxes with a grain of salt, seen numerous that didn't mention accidents but the seam line was visible upon inspection from replacement parts being painted and not properly blended. Carfax also never showed that my Jeeps's transmission had been rebuilt either.

bwsRam19

Reaction score
Some people have way too much free time on their hands. Why on earth anyone would want to rotate their own tires is beyond me. Discount Tire does it for free. I'm in & out of there in 30 minutes. Oil changes at the dealership. Semi synthetic is fine. I also use 87 octane gas which some people spaz out about on this forum. It's just a truck. I also go to a car wash with brushes. 🤪
I have the tools to do it, and I'm not lazy. Just did 4 oil changes this weekend, which was all of my vehicles except 1. The ram timed out just a few days under a year, about 4,000 miles.

brotherGood

Reaction score
Sorry, but I call BS on this statement above!
You can call BS all day, but not only did I get that info from multiple desk folk while working at the dealership, but also from the two techs who were most trained in Hyundai/Kia. As someone who worked on their own vehicle..I wanted to know what I could and couldn't do, so I could better relay in case the question was asked to me.

Per the Moss-Magnusson act, if the OEM requires you to use an exact specific product, they must provide it for free.

I understand the act prevents this from being an issue, but 98% of people know nothing about it, nor are even willing to fight it.

I have to say, I've traded in 4 vehicles in the last 10 years, and not one of them asked to see any oil change receipts or records. My 2015 F150 was traded in on my RAM, and I got more money for it than I thought possible, while getting 25% off my new Rebel. Not one mention of oil changes, which were done by me.

I guess if you sell it to someone in a private sale, they want to see maintenance receipts. Which I have my own logs and receipts for my oil changes, I will have the dealership do the "major services" should I still have it when I get to that point.

Most oil changes done at a facility will show via Carfax-even the instant oil change places. When vehicle history is unknown, the Carfax is the only trustworthy thing to go off of for dealer/trade in sake. We never brought up that we pulled the Carfax, but it was part of the trade-in appraisal packet. Personally, I think that's crap..but I was flat out lied to multiple times as a sales rep when getting trade-in information so I can see both sides.

Private sale, if someone jumps me about records and Carfax, I'll tell em to pound sand. As someone who has worked at a dealership though, I know what ways they'll try to screw me so I plan on doing everything I can to prevent that.

brotherGood

Reaction score
Kinda funny, I've never got a bad trade in price and I always do my own. On a previous post I mentioned that Jeep replaced my cam, lifter and rockers, guess what the carfax said? Routine maintenance performed or something like that. Whoever got that Jeep probably has no clue that the engine was worked on and torn apart, didn't even mention they changed the sparkplugs. I take those carfaxes with a grain of salt, seen numerous that didn't mention accidents but the seam line was visible upon inspection from replacement parts being painted and not properly blended. Carfax also never showed that my Jeeps's transmission had been rebuilt either.
Can I guess the Jeep you're referring to was a Wrangler? Only guessing because the appraiser we had didn't even dive deep into Wranglers due to value and marker desire. We would have 10yr old Wranglers brought in and put back out to sell with zero maintenance done since trade in and ask tip top dollar. They'd last maybe 3 days and make bank.

Beyond that, I don't disagree with what you're saying from a consumer standpoint. As someone who has worked as a salesperson though, I know (at least where I worked) it matters big time. The ironic thing about the need for Carfax where I worked, was the body shop gave you the option to report damage to Carfax or not.

I get it's probably different all over, but I'm providing feedback based on my experience "on the inside"

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
You can call BS all day, but not only did I get that info from multiple desk folk while working at the dealership, but also from the two techs who were most trained in Hyundai/Kia. As someone who worked on their own vehicle..I wanted to know what I could and couldn't do, so I could better relay in case the question was asked to me.
Still BS. No "desk folk" or Super Duper trained techs can deny a warranty claim because you used a quality filter that didn't say Hyundai on it. Biggest crock of $hit I've read on this forum in quite some time. It is VERY rare to see an engine failure due to an oil filter unless you just fail to ever replace it. However, if one did occur, any dealership, regardless of brand, must have pretty compelling reasons to deny a warranty claim. You believe what you want, but I'll call BS all day long on crap like this and bet if I called Hyundai Corporate they would laugh at this 🤣

brotherGood

Reaction score
Still BS. No "desk folk" or Super Duper trained techs can deny a warranty claim because you used a quality filter that didn't say Hyundai on it. Biggest crock of $hit I've read on this forum in quite some time. It is VERY rare to see an engine failure due to an oil filter unless you just fail to ever replace it. However, if one did occur, any dealership, regardless of brand, must have pretty compelling reasons to deny a warranty claim. You believe what you want, but I'll call BS all day long on crap like this and bet if I called Hyundai Corporate they would laugh at this 🤣
Okay bud. You're right..the time I worked there was a complete illusion and you know more about what conversations I had.

Per the act, you are correct..they cannot. But get over your density and read my statement about the act. "98% of people either know nothing about it, or aren't willing to fight the dealership over it"

I have seen FCA techs and dealerships try the warranty denied claim first on multiple instances because FCA warranties don't pay hardly anything. Hyundai/Kia are no different. The service dept (techs/writers/etc) are going to try to make as much as they can in an instance where warranty is gray. Sure, they (OEM) may accept the warranty claim, but when they pay 3 hours labor only on a job that takes 8 hours of labor..why not charge the customer 8 hours of labor plus parts?

..but again, you know more than I do of conversations I was personally involved in. So go on warrior.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Okay bud. You're right..the time I worked there was a complete illusion and you know more about what conversations I had.

Per the act, you are correct..they cannot. But get over your density and read my statement about the act. "98% of people either know nothing about it, or aren't willing to fight the dealership over it"

I have seen FCA techs and dealerships try the warranty denied claim first on multiple instances because FCA warranties don't pay hardly anything. Hyundai/Kia are no different. The service dept (techs/writers/etc) are going to try to make as much as they can in an instance where warranty is gray. Sure, they (OEM) may accept the warranty claim, but when they pay 3 hours labor only on a job that takes 8 hours of labor..why not charge the customer 8 hours of labor plus parts?

..but again, you know more than I do of conversations I was personally involved in. So go on warrior.
Okay "bud". I know BS when I see it and I doubt that there is a single member of this forum that believes what you have stated above is reality. Let's just agree to disagree and you can continue to believe what a bunch of dealership morons have told you while you worked there. That may have been YOUR stealerships policy, but it certainly is not a Hyundai policy!

Last edited:

brotherGood

Reaction score
Okay "bud". I know BS when I see it and I doubt that there is a single member of this forum that believes what you have stated above is reality. Let's just agree to disagree and you can continue to believe what a bunch of dealership morons have told you while you worked there. That may have been YOUR stealerships policy, but it certainly is not a Hyundai policy!
I never said their policy wasn't BS. There's a reason I don't work there anymore.

As I said previously, I know what some will do because I've seen and heard first hand..so I'm giving all info out there to allow OP and others to make the decision based on what they want to risk. I know I will be covering my own self because I know how they'll screw people.

Discredit me all you want, but until you understand the fact that I'm agreeing with your statement that how they (dealership) do things is garbage vs. the OEM policy..you're turning this into a pissing match over nothing.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I never said their policy wasn't BS. There's a reason I don't work there anymore.

As I said previously, I know what some will do because I've seen and heard first hand..so I'm giving all info out there to allow OP and others to make the decision based on what they want to risk. I know I will be covering my own self because I know how they'll screw people.

Discredit me all you want, but until you understand the fact that I'm agreeing with your statement that how they (dealership) do things is garbage vs. the OEM policy..you're turning this into a pissing match over nothing.
I'm all done pissing my friend...

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yea while CF shows “some” of the reported maintenance it’s so vague as to be basically worthless (other than oil changes). AutoCheck doesn’t show any services at all, and both firms can get spoofed on wrecks, flooding, title washing. At least you can tell what states it has been in and appx mileage driven annually.

When I am looking up used vehicles and see a CF available that’s a “small” plus but sometimes doesn’t say anything worthwhile.

That’s unfortunate that your Jeep’s repairs were not even noted in any realistic way. Makes their service not worth bothering to buy, which isn’t good for them.

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wrong. I believe there are dealerships out their that try and do get away with this.
its not right, but I’m sure it happens. Hopefully they don’t get away with it ver y often.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Wrong. I believe there are dealerships out their that try and do get away with this.
its not right, but I’m sure it happens. Hopefully they don’t get away with it ver y often.
I am not "wrong". You, my friend, have misunderstood my response. I am not saying that dealers don't do this. I am saying that Hyundai Corporate does not share in what the dealer is doing or telling customers. Yes, it does happen as dishonest dealers lie to consumers all the time. What I have been referencing all along is that "Hyundai" has no corporate policy whereby warranties are null and void because someone doesn't use a Hyundai labelled oil filter.

I'm done replying to this. My point has been made and should be crystal clear now ;)

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am not "wrong". You, my friend, have misunderstood my response. I am not saying that dealers don't do this. I am saying that Hyundai Corporate does not share in what the dealer is doing or telling customers. Yes, it does happen as dishonest dealers lie to consumers all the time. What I have been referencing all along is that "Hyundai" has no corporate policy whereby warranties are null and void because someone doesn't use a Hyundai labelled oil filter.

I'm done replying to this. My point has been made and should be crystal clear now ;)
Yup, that cleared it up. Feel better now? Was it worth it?
We all now perfectly understand all we need to know...

Users who are viewing this thread