5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'19 Multi-Functional Tailgate

RamLTD+

Reaction score
Received an update from local dealer...seems like the new Tailgate is avail to order on the 2500's. No updates on the 1500 at this time. Need to have my new Ram by Memorial Day weekend. Anyone have any additional intel?? Thx

alangsam

Reaction score
Received an update from local dealer...seems like the new Tailgate is avail to order on the 2500's. No updates on the 1500 at this time. Need to have my new Ram by Memorial Day weekend. Anyone have any additional intel?? Thx

If you look at the website it has said “late availability “ and 2Q. I have since heard from a dealer that it will be june. Now supposedly you can’t order a 2019 after this month and The 2020 Oder books open up after that and then it won’t be delivered until July. So I am not sure how this will work. My bet is that it’s a 2020 feature for the 1500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rancidlunchmeat

Reaction score
This is veryinteresting, as they said the multifunction tailgate wouldn't be available for the 2500 since it still uses the 4th Gen bed.

Anxious to hear this to be true...but it is news to me.

Agreed, this sounds like the exact opposite of everything we've heard up until this point.

alangsam

Reaction score
Agreed, this sounds like the exact opposite of everything we've heard up until this point.

The more I think about this the more it doesn’t make sense on the 2500. They just started allowing orders. Why would they not do it at the same time? Makes no sense.

I think the dealer may have it confused with the 1500. My experience with the dealers in south Florida is not good on questions about the product or ordering. They all claim to know nothing and ram tells them nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clotagames

Reaction score
New tailgate is for 1500 only at this time. New 2500 has older shorter side box on it. Ram blew it on that one. should have used new cab and box.

Wannabee

Reaction score
I checked with my dealer yesterday and I still can't order my truck at this time. I've been waiting on the tailgate. I'm beginning to wonder if it's worth the wait.

alangsam

Reaction score
New tailgate is a 2020 option. You can order when they open the 2020 order books. At this point it’s better to wait a month or two and get the 2020. The 2019 has had a lot of first year issues that should be resolved with the new model year.

Wannabee

Reaction score
New tailgate is a 2020 option. You can order when they open the 2020 order books. At this point it’s better to wait a month or two and get the 2020. The 2019 has had a lot of first year issues that should be resolved with the new model year.
Thanks I was thunking that as well.

Lize

Reaction score
The 2019 has had a lot of first year issues that should be resolved with the new model year.
Just trying to understand how different other than new features and additions will the 2020 model be, when problems with the 2019 have been diagnosed and fixed then isn't the manufacturing process/parts/quality control changed? Doesn't FCA undertake changes in production on a rolling basis to reduce unhappy owners and warranty claims? Certainly reading on here a lot of the early problems don't seem to occur on later 19 trucks.

alangsam

Reaction score
You would think however it does not seem to be the case with some of the issues.

Well there also seems to be an as of yet unresolved issue with the AC on our trucks regardless of build date especially in hot climates.

Lize

Reaction score
You would think however it does not seem to be the case with some of the issues.

Well there also seems to be an as of yet unresolved issue with the AC on our trucks regardless of build date especially in hot climates.
I hope so, getting anything fixed will be a bit of a pain but then that's part and parcel of an import and the usefulness of a good forum such as this.
AC - a good job it doesn't often get very hot here!

Wannabee

Reaction score
I saw that the trucks with the new tailgates are finally on the car lots. I also read that there were people on a forum that have them. I assumed it was on this Ram forum. Does anyone here have one? How did you find them? I am in contact with 4 dealers and haven't heard from any of them.

Lize

Reaction score
I saw that the trucks with the new tailgates are finally on the car lots. I also read that there were people on a forum that have them. I assumed it was on this Ram forum. Does anyone here have one? How did you find them? I am in contact with 4 dealers and haven't heard from any of them.
Yes - see this thread:

saxapl

Reaction score

Indeed they are here. I went in on the last Monday in June to pick a truck with big rebates. Chose a limited on the lot and told the dealer I would do the paperwork Saturday. On Thursday I saw they had a truck with a dual function tailgate on the website. Stopped in and it had just been unloaded. Dealer said FCA offered a limited number of 19s to some of the top Ram selling dealers. Changed trucks and bought it on the last Saturday of June. It qualified for the huge discounts, which I was surprised.

I was buying in June regardless to get the huge discount. Timing was fortunate as dealer said only 7 were shipped to the entire state. I do not know what that means nationwide, but several people on the forum got a great deal last week.

Attachments

• 56B0DD84-A015-45CC-AF42-120C130FF81A.jpeg
    56B0DD84-A015-45CC-AF42-120C130FF81A.jpeg
    146.9 KB · Views: 35

colegar

Reaction score
Indeed they are here. I went in on the last Monday in June to pick a truck with big rebates. Chose a limited on the lot and told the dealer I would do the paperwork Saturday. On Thursday I saw they had a truck with a dual function tailgate on the website. Stopped in and it had just been unloaded. Dealer said FCA offered a limited number of 19s to some of the top Ram selling dealers. Changed trucks and bought it on the last Saturday of June. It qualified for the huge discounts, which I was surprised.

I was buying in June regardless to get the huge discount. Timing was fortunate as dealer said only 7 were shipped to the entire state. I do not know what that means nationwide, but several people on the forum got a great deal last week.
My story is virtually the same as yours. I bugged every dealer in my region (South Carolina) to get me a loaded 2019 Limited 1500 with the eTorque Hemi and Multi-functional Tailgate with RamBoxes. Ironically, I had just left the dealer disappointed that they did not know if or when they might receive one. On my way home, I received a call from the salesman telling me he had walked down to the back lot and one exactly like I was looking for had just arrived. I returned to the dealer and made the purchase that evening, which was the first day of July. Like you, I was able to get it just before the huge discount offer expired. I bought it for 20% below MSRP. I absolutely love the split tailgate! However, I am disappointed that there is an open space between the hinge-posts and the bed on both sides that allows some water to drain into the rear of the bed. I have the BAKFlip Revolver X4 cover installed, which is gorgeous and is very practical. I managed to plug the open spaces with some foam/rubber materials and two-sided tape and it is not noticeable to anyone that is not aware of it. But, ... Ram has obviously released this new tailgate before they came up with a proper solution to the open space behind each hinge-post. If I can create a foam/rubber solution, they could obviously engineer a vinyl piece that matches the top of the RamBoxes to fill the open spaces. One other SNAFU they made on my truck is the kick-down rear step. Instead of the new one they featured on the videos when they introduced the split tailgate, which was mounted just to the left of the trailer-hitch receiver, they installed the old version of step on my truck which is mounted under the left rear corner of the bed for use with a traditional tailgate. It is not functional when you open the tailgate barn door-style.

saxapl

Reaction score
I thought the center kick down step was included with the tailgate...that is how I thought it was announced. No one I know has the center step. Mine has no kick down step at all. It does not matter to me as I have a topper, so I will never be climbing into the bed.

I just think FCA is proving that they are going to keep you guessing. Active air dams on air suspension trucks, corner brackets on MFT trucks which were never addressed in the promotions, air conditioning suited for Antarctic summers.

The fun in the journey of learning.

Users who are viewing this thread