5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1500 truck bed liner

mtt582

Reaction score
Hey what’s up my fellow Ram owners! Just bought my first truck last week, 1500 Big Horn with the 5’7 bed, and I was wondering if you guys had any advice on liners for the bed and tailgate. I’ve been looking online at a few different one. But all the reviews are so mixed I figured I would ask here. Any suggestions? Also if there is already a thread about this drop the link. I looked for awhile but didn’t see what I was looking for.

Slippy's Dad

Reaction score
Congrats on your purchase! My first truck had a factory drop-in and it rusted out the bed underneath it....never again. My last 2 trucks (24 years now) have had a standard Line-X spray-in and they have been the greatest thing ever and I cannot speak negatively about them. I just had top soil and mulch in the truck bed in back to back weekends and it handles shovels with no problem. I have seen some complain about the textured surface being hard...but I feel that is the exact purpose of the liner. I'm not typically crawling around on my knees in the bed. It handles everything that I have ever thrown at it and I use my truck as a truck; not a fancy show piece that never hauls anything. I have a tonneau cover, so the UV protection of the Premium line was not needed. Pressure wash it clean at a drive-in wash bay and it shines like new. There are competitors in my area (Rhino liner), but the Line-X has never let me down....and it has a lifetime warranty if it was to have a problem.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Factory bedliner is best.

Since you don't have that you can get a spray in done properly so it doesn't overspray or cover important things like lights.

People also really like the carpet mats, they say stuff doesn't slide on it (the spray on liners are very rough, durabale, but still can slide over.
It's very easy to damage whatever you are moving if it slides around on the spray in liner but the carpet helps stuff not move and doesn't damage anything.

Peebs1021

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of the Rhino liner, it's a little softer and grippier than the Line-X so things don't slide around as much.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am a huge fan of the bedrug, especially if you run a topper or tonneau and if you like to camp in the bed. My original truck had a full bedrug with no sray-in and the bed still looked new when I removed the bedrug after 5 years (this was under a topper the whole time as well). My last 2 trucks have had a spray-in liner with a bedrug mat which is really nice as well and allows me to occasionally remove the topper and bedrug if desired. If you don't use a topper or tonneau cover and mostly just haul materials I would do a line-x or rhino and if you want to haul luggae, boxes, hunting gear etc I would add the bedrug mat with tailgate liner.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Any professionally installed spray in bed liner will be good. Name brand really doesn't matter as they are all about the same thing anymore. Even rhinoliner has thinned out their application so it's not as rough as it used to be. The dealer I bought my truck from had Armadillo brand spray in liner done and it's been good, but I do have a roll up tonneau that stays closed 99% of the time.

If you won't be hauling a lot of dirty stuff, a BedRug is an excellent choice. I have one in my Dakota, and will be buying one for my Ram. Fills in the ribs in bed, so if you crawl in your bed it's nice and afot and doesn't hurt the knees. Plus things stay in place better, but will still slide around. No need for a topper, it's marine grade foam and carpet.

Threesuns1

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I put a Rugged bed liner with a rubber mat in my 2022, and the fit is not as "tight" as the ram liner, and I lost almost 2 inches in length. Now I have a 6'2" bed. If I decide to replace it, I think I might just go with the bed carpet route, since I run a cap most of the time. I went with the bed liner rather than spray in because it protects the inside of the bed when throwing firewood, brick and rocks in bed.
Rugged BedLiner.jpg

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Depends on what you plan to haul. I just have a rubber bed mat in mine. The sides are still the original paint and I do have a scratch here or there, but it is a truck bed and having a roll up cover, you can't see it anyway. So, bed mat for me due to the type of stuff I haul.

TripleB

Reaction score
Hey what’s up my fellow Ram owners! Just bought my first truck last week, 1500 Big Horn with the 5’7 bed, and I was wondering if you guys had any advice on liners for the bed and tailgate. I’ve been looking online at a few different one. But all the reviews are so mixed I figured I would ask here. Any suggestions? Also if there is already a thread about this drop the link. I looked for awhile but didn’t see what I was looking for.
I don’t really use my bed for major work. I carry my golf clubs and mulch, small house projects so I’m trying whats called the Bed RugI really like it.

Attachments

• IMG_3524.jpeg
    IMG_3524.jpeg
    230.8 KB · Views: 25

Av1

Reaction score
I'm another Bedrug fan. Mine is installed under a bedcover.

The Bedrug is not carpet. It's chemical and oil resistant and seems to be very durable.

I love mine.

mtt582

Reaction score
I appreciate all the replies from you guys. It will probably help if I’m more specific. I don’t plan on hauling and kind of dirt. Mostly tools and rigid pipe when I need to, maybe the occasional furniture set when my family needs me too but for the most part I’m just looking to keep it clean back there. I am planning to put a tonneau cover on before the summers over but for now it will be open. From what I am reading so far spray on is the way to go. Though I do like the carpet idea once I get a cover on it.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have an OEM spray-in liner with an inexpensive rubber mat to take abuse and prevent slippage. Sounds like you could get away with a mat only. A spray-in would provide a lot of additional protection, but obviously at a higher cost.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

This is the one I used for the tailgate . Hard polypropylene (I believe) install is into OEM screw holes.

If you are putting a tonneau cover on and not using the bed extensively a rubber mat will give plenty of protection, I have done plenty of work with my 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 and the bed is still in great shape. I use an old pool cover as a liner when moving dirt, gravel, concrete and such.

Last edited:

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Bed rug in mines. Love it. Actually cheaper than having the bed sprayed locally, and that was shipped! I also have the rubber bed mat on it. All of this sits under a trifold cover. Still looks brand new. 20210810_225739.jpg 20210810_230338.jpg

22Silver

Reaction score
Hi, I went a drop-in Duraliner which I believe is OEM. Had similar in my 2013 for 10 years and when checked box before trading in paint was scuffed but nothing bad. This one I put some foam tape down on the the raised ridges to help, doesn’t shift much now, will see? I can pull it in and out myself easily for cleaning as well. I think spray-in are great but wanted shock protection for loading bricks etc. $350cad vs $800 plus a mat $ also factor.
Just got to weigh out best for you

mtt582

Reaction score
Just got a quote from lineX. It’s gunna be 660 for the premium. I park outside so I’ll probably need that uv protection. Anyone had any good or bad experiences with their lifetime warranty?

Users who are viewing this thread