5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1500 Laramie to Wrangler

Ramjeep

Reaction score
Thank you guys for all the replies. I took my RAM out for a drive yesterday and there is no way I could get rid of it yet lol . I just like it so much , there really is no comparison. its the interior space for me. That was the issue I had with the grand Cherokee it was just to small inside and I know the wrangler would be even smaller. I still might see what my dealer has to say, if he offers me a out of this world deal (I’m talking huge savings ) I might consider it . It’s not like he can work some magic if the numbers don’t work.

RunsWithBeer

Reaction score
A fella I work with sold his F-150 platinum for a Wrangler. He likes it for 10 of the 60 miles round trip he has daily for his work commute.

he let me drive it one day for about 8 miles to a lunch location, he drove back to work.
I could not believe how much steering input was needed to keep the dang thing on the road.
Driving the RAM is so easy and effortless, compared to the Wrangler, and probably many other vehicles out there.

Driving a Wrangler requires a different driving style. The solid front axle that gives it the off road prowess means that every little bump to one wheel affects the opposite wheel as well. It continuously wanders in the lane a bit. If you try and drive it like an independent suspension vehicle it will wear you out. My wife used to equate it to "wrestling with a bear". But if you relax and let it wander a bit it tends to average out in the wandering and remain more or less straight.

Compared to a Ram they will be unrefined, noisy, underpowered, uncomfortable, floppy doored, terrible stereo sound, and difficult to see out the back, BUT they're probably the most fun you can have on 4 wheels once you get it off-road.

You either will love it or hate it. You also instantly have a brotherhood of other Jeep drivers willing to go places with you and help you.

The church of Jeep

Techguy2000

Reaction score
Also to note, I had a 2019 june purchase on the highest level of rebates (30%+) so a month ago I checked dealer trade in and third party offers and found that carvana would pay me more for a 2wd 2019 with over 10k miles than what a new 4x4 with more options was at the dealer. All trade in values I got from dealers were 5 to 8k less than carvana at the time.

So just throwing it out there that dealers (here in Texas atleast) had inventory and were not willing to give the awesome value that third parties were.

AmericanRebelution

Reaction score
Lots of good thoughts here so far. I have a 2009 Wrangler Sahara 4 door that I purchased new and my wife has a 2014 2 door. I drove mine as my primary vehicle for a couple of years and I really liked it. Wranglers have come a long, long way in regards to on road driveability and comfort. By no means is it as comfy, smooth, or spacious as our RAMs, but today's Wranglers are perfectly capable of being a usable daily driver. They don't have the power of the Hemi, but power is adequate now. The 4 door models do have quite a bit of room and cargo space (obviously not like a truck). I've hauled quite a bit of gear in mine. If you are into off-roading at all, it is night and day. I have had some off-road situations where my Rebel performed great - and better than my Wrangler would have. But, my Wrangler has been places I wouldn't dream of taking my truck. Wranglers are extremely maneuverable and the high level of traction is just not comparable to any truck. The lighter weight of Wranglers gives them a who different feel and level of capability off-road.

rlc2020

Reaction score
I'm confused here. I have $9500 left on my lease and my buy option at end of lease is $27,200. so I would have to get $36,700 as a trade in to break even, plus there is a tax hit that has to be paid to buy out the truck as well. Considering you just started your lease, you would owe at least $45k plus I would think. how are you going to make money on this deal and buying a new wrangler sahara which costs at least 45k to begin with? I may have to consider a trade in for a 2021 1500 if that's the case...

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'm confused here. I have $9500 left on my lease and my buy option at end of lease is $27,200. so I would have to get $36,700 as a trade in to break even, plus there is a tax hit that has to be paid to buy out the truck as well. Considering you just started your lease, you would owe at least $45k plus I would think. how are you going to make money on this deal and buying a new wrangler sahara which costs at least 45k to begin with? I may have to consider a trade in for a 2021 1500 if that's the case...

That would depend on what price he negotiated on the lease term, you can negotiate that before you take on the lease.

Ramjeep

Reaction score

Yea I just got a Carvanna quote on my truck of 38k when the MSRP was 62k just nine months ago. This is not going to happen at all. I thought there was crazy resale value on these trucks. I guess not ! I 'm glad I leased so it's not really my concern my goal now is to purchase at the end of my lease and just drive it until the wheels fall off I suppose.

Techguy2000

Reaction score
Wow I got thousands more than that for my 2019 2wd laramie level 1 that had an msrp of 53k or so.. Supply and demand I guess, they sold mine in under a week from what I could tell.

U

User_3336

HIGHLY DOUBTFUL. Lease companies usually have those residual values figured out to a tee. There are variations more towards the end of the lease, but not after 1 payment..

Not typical is correct.

No way this is happening without incurring huge penalty, or if the OP adds those payments into his trade. Regardless, that money due for 35 more payments isn't going away. Guess he could default on the lease, but then no way he's gonna get another FCA vehicle with any kind of financing.

Technically, if the value of the vehicle is higher then the 35 payments plus buyout he could get out...maybe even with some cash in his pocket.

Obviously that is not typical, but we are living in some strange times.

AZHUND

Reaction score
Unsure if this thread is about leases, resale, or jeeps... but I have both (Jeep intended as the weekend toy) and they are vastly different. But current model (JL) are much more refined and I could easily use it - and enjoy it - as a daily driver. But I also like my truck. So I am glad I don’t have to choose just one.

rlc2020

Reaction score
Well, I just got an offer of $39k for my truck from a dealer and $36k from carvana. I guess you can get out from under these leases, I'd actually make a few bucks too. But I can't figure out what I would replace it with so no reason to sell it really....

U

User_3336

YOU STILL OWE THE REMAINING LEASE PAYMENTS, THEY DON'T JUST GO AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Even if a dealer offered you $39K for the truck, you would have to still pay ALL REMIANING LEASE PAYMENTS to "get rid of the truck/trade it". The dealer would buy it for the residual value, but you'd be paying what was still owed on the lease.

who is giving you this information?

Last edited by a moderator:

rlc2020

Reaction score
YOU STILL OWE THE REMAINING LEASE PAYMENTS, THEY DON'T JUST GO AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Even if a dealer offered you $39K for the truck, you would have to still pay ALL REMIANING LEASE PAYMENTS to "get rid of the truck/trade it". The dealer would buy it for the residual value, but you'd be paying what was still owed on the lease.

YEAH, WELL AWARE OF THIS, NO NEED TO SHOUT LIKE A MORON.

I have $8500 in lease payments left plus my buyout of $27k plus the sales tax and lease fee = $37k total owed to buy it out. The dealer would only buy it for "residual value" at the END of the lease term, but they ALMOST NEVER do that because in normal times they can get them cheaper from auction then residual would cost them. The residual value is really just a buy option for the consumer, generally at full retail value, except when demand soars like it has recently. I've already sold 2 lease vehicles in the past, I know what I'm talking about.

They offered me $39k. Do I need to do the math for you here? Calm down man...

moparleo51

Reaction score

this is not a 100% true, as i have done this 2twice in the last2 yrs, one was coming out of a lease from my jeep trailhawk into my new ram. i had the jeep 8months and they gave me the remaning payments and the residual amount and i still had about $1200 to the positive to put on my ram. it all depends on who your leasing it from, this one was from chrysler capitol. the dealer just has choices to buy it out from them or to pay the remaining payments from your trade offer and then pay the return fee as if you had went to term on the lease. then usually chrysler would then either take it back to put into the auction market,or the dealer gets abreak on just purchasing it out right. and it usually better than the residual amount. or the last option is the dealer would pay your remaining payments and then you trade it in. of course what the dealer pays in remaining payments goes towards your new purchase, as a negative,but with the dealer discounts and rebates to offset is usually greater than the balence on the payments. i also traded in my 2018 charger scat pack on my wife leased gmc for a 2019 jeep compass and i made almost $2000 on the positive from this to apply to her car. that one was ally at the time.

U

User_3336

That was the point I was trying to make, any remaining payments on a lease if you terminate it early just don't magically disappear. TYPICALLY, like you said yourself, those payments are somehow rolled into what ever you traded into, so its negative equity (payments remaining) going into a new deal. there really isn't any "equity" in a lease unless you buy it at the end of the lease term, of perhaps some other complicated deal/scenario.

or the last option is the dealer would pay your remaining payments and then you trade it in. of course what the dealer pays in remaining payments goes towards your new purchase, as a negative,

Users who are viewing this thread