5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1500 Laramie to Wrangler

Ramjeep

Reaction score
Am I crazy thinking about moving to a Wrangler. I finally got my dream truck last January and then COVID happened, so know I'm looking at my finances and I'm paying all of this money for truck just to sit in the garage. I'm leasing the RAM so I was thinking if it didn't cost me anything to move to the wrangler since the ram has awesome resale value right now I could lower my monthly payment by moving into a wrangler Sahara . I would severely miss my truck but I know my back account would be a lot happier lol. Should I just wait out the 35 months remaining and get the wrangler then or see what my options are now ?

Moparian

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Am I crazy thinking about moving to a Wrangler. I finally got my dream truck last January and then COVID happened, so know I'm looking at my finances and I'm paying all of this money for truck just to sit in the garage. I'm leasing the RAM so I was thinking if it didn't cost me anything to move to the wrangler since the ram has awesome resale value right now I could lower my monthly payment by moving into a wrangler Sahara . I would severely miss my truck but I know my back account would be a lot happier lol. Should I just wait out the 35 months remaining and get the wrangler then or see what my options are now ?
I mean if you arent using it and its going to save you money..... I've debated getting a Wrangler too because I've always wanted one but Im buying a house and I know I will need my truck. That being said given how much they are giving for used trucks right now and interest rates are really low you might even be able to get a new truck and lower your payments.

CPenn1086

Reaction score
I was cross shopping my 1500 vs. the Gladiator before I made a decision. The differences between the 2 vehicles are night and day. Say goodbye to the power and the quiet/smooth ride you get in the Ram. Also, storage is a joke. Don't get me wrong, the Jeeps are cool vehicles but I just don't see how anyone can survive with one of those as a daily. Just my 0.02...

Ramjeep

Reaction score
I was cross shopping my 1500 vs. the Gladiator before I made a decision. The differences between the 2 vehicles are night and day. Say goodbye to the power and the quiet/smooth ride you get in the Ram. Also, storage is a joke. Don't get me wrong, the Jeeps are cool vehicles but I just don't see how anyone can survive with one of those as a daily. Just my 0.02...

I agree ! I would miss the storage and the Hemi. I'm just not ready to leave the tuck yet but maybe I could get into another one even cheaper.

highgear2005

Reaction score
Jeeps are a lot of fun, if your 20 something and have no family. Speaking from experience. I wouldn’t mind having another Jeep as a third auto. Something to play with. But if it’s your every day driver, your better off with your truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Yep. You're crazy. :p

tyresmoker

Reaction score
I do not see how you are going to get out of a lease with 35 months left without a pretty serious penalty. You do not own the vehicle, the leasing company does. Any recognized equity (or not) in the vehicle is theirs, not yours.

Ramjeep

Reaction score
I do not see how you are going to get out of a lease with 35 months left without a pretty serious penalty. You do not own the vehicle, the leasing company does. Any recognized equity (or not) in the vehicle is theirs, not yours.

Yea I thought about that too but as long as I don't bring any negative equity into the new car it shouldn't be an issue. as long as the dealer give me what I owe on the lease (loan pay off) it's just like trading in a regular financed car. I was also thinking about buying it out at the end of my lease but I'm just all over the map with it at this point I'm just going to keep it and enjoy it .

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I drove a Wrangler for 6 years before I got my truck. Wranglers are neat vehicles; but I could never imagine going back to one as my primary vehicle. I'm spoiled by the comfort of the RAM interior and ride....a Wrangler can't touch that.

TheMadDutchDude

Reaction score
I wouldn’t go either. Look at the bigger picture. Once this all blows over... you’re back to wanting a truck and will end up getting one again. Stick with it and let her put a smile on your face when you drive. :)

RunsWithBeer

Reaction score
My Wrangler was my fun toy for 9 years, but be prepared for a horrible ride and handling compared to your truck.

Jeeps have their place... off-road... where you'd never take a truck.

1602200523198.png 1602200610307.png

Sometimes the Jeep should have stayed home as well...

1602200938897.png

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’d like a Wrangler for a toy but I don’t think I could have one for my do everything daily. The Ram is great for that.

U

User_3336

WHAT???????????? What do you mean "the dealer will at least give you what you owe on the RAM?" You don't own the vehicle, Its not like you can just trade it in.
There is NO trade-in value. You are still obligated to that lease.

Even if the dealer wanted to purchase the vehicle for its end of lease value, you'd still owe those 35 payments, or the dealer is going to roll ALL those 35 payments over into your next vehicle.

Is this your first lease?????????????????????????

Yea I thought about that too but as long as I don't bring any negative equity into the new car it shouldn't be an issue. as long as the dealer give me what I owe on the lease (loan pay off) it's just like trading in a regular financed car. I was also thinking about buying it out at the end of my lease but I'm just all over the map with it at this point I'm just going to keep it and enjoy it .

U

User_3336

CORRECT !

CPenn1086

Reaction score
Technically, if the value of the vehicle is higher then the 35 payments plus buyout he could get out...maybe even with some cash in his pocket.

Obviously that is not typical, but we are living in some strange times.

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A fella I work with sold his F-150 platinum for a Wrangler. He likes it for 10 of the 60 miles round trip he has daily for his work commute.

he let me drive it one day for about 8 miles to a lunch location, he drove back to work.
I could not believe how much steering input was needed to keep the dang thing on the road.
Driving the RAM is so easy and effortless, compared to the Wrangler, and probably many other vehicles out there.

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
In a word, yes.
seriously, will the Wrangler sit in the garage less?
put on a mask, and go do something. Camping is safe, pull a trailer, throw bikes in the bed; social distance and wash your hands, but don’t lock yourself away...

Now if you not comfortable with the payments, and that’s the priority, buy something that’s cheap and has great resale, as you’re gonna want that truck again in a couple years...

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As a guy who's had several Jeep Wranglers, and who just bought his grandson one for his birthday, I will tell you: keep the truck. Jeeps are fun but they are crude and kind of like Harleys - you spend a lot of time wrenching on them. The best thing about a Wrangler is that it keeps a pretty good resale value, although that is much more so for the older models than the newer stuff. Don't get me wrong - they can be fun - but it's kind of like dating a stripper or prostitute. You get your jollies for a little while and then you realize this is not what you want to be doing with your life. Look at the chain of title on any used Jeep more than 4 or 5 years old - there's usually 3 or 4 owners in 6 or 7 years. People keep them about 2 or 3 years, have fun in them year 1, tool around in them year 2, and hate them year 3, then trade them in.

No way would I go from a Ram to a Wrangler in any universe, having had both. The Ram rides like a Cadillac; a Wrangler rides like an Amish busted buckboard. You can't haul anything in a Wrangler. Fuel economy sucks. Safety (relatively) sucks. They're loud and they're cold in the winter and hot in the summer.

Don't get me wrong - they're fun vehicles. Like I said, I've had several and I enjoyed the ones I had. But they are toys, not serious vehicles for living with on a daily basis. If I had enough room on my property to have a dozen cars, a Jeep would be one of them. But not one of the top 4 or 5.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I considered a new Gladiator, and even though modern Jeeps are much more refined than just a few years ago, they are not what I want to drive on a daily basis, especially interior room. They are designed for off-roading on tight trails, which dictates size and also comfort.

However, I understand costs in these times. My RAM is currently worth more than what I paid for it. It helps I got 25% off when RAM was in a big rush to beat Silverado in sales last year, but even after 1 year of ownership, I deeply in the black on my truck, which is rather comforting. The typical German sedans I would own would be big time upside down right now.

Dealerships want used trucks right now due to low inventory, they obviously will give you a good deal to buy you out of your lease so they could sell your truck. It maybe a good financial move, not sure if you will be happy with the vehicle unless you want to do a lot more off-roading.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online