5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

12A package and 2wd...V6 only??

BTK20

Reaction score
Hello all! Gotta say this is one of the best forums I have had the pleasure of lurking in :). I'm gearing up to purchase a new RAM and am leaning towards a Rebel in 2wd. Dont offroad much, and the locker/tires will get me out of most trouble. When pricing it on the website, I want the V8, then when I select the 12" screen, it says it needs to remove the V8 and go back to the V6. Why?? Also seems like the Ram Box is not an option for 2wd. With the drivetrain being the only difference, I'm at a loss why these things are not available. Thoughts?

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hello all! Gotta say this is one of the best forums I have had the pleasure of lurking in :). I'm gearing up to purchase a new RAM and am leaning towards a Rebel in 2wd. Dont offroad much, and the locker/tires will get me out of most trouble. When pricing it on the website, I want the V8, then when I select the 12" screen, it says it needs to remove the V8 and go back to the V6. Why?? Also seems like the Ram Box is not an option for 2wd. With the drivetrain being the only difference, I'm at a loss why these things are not available. Thoughts?

It depends on the package, I know you can get a 2WD Rebel with the 12" screen & Hemi, but you need to pick the package group I think instead as a single option. 2WD Rebels are really popular on the West because they don't do a lot of rock crawling, more Baja stuff which is where 2WD is actually preferred.

Also, RAMs build site has been known to be buggy, either speak with a dealer or use Carsdirect.com. I've seen a Rebel 2WD Crewcab with Hemi (non-Etorque) and 12" screen. But it wasn't 12A group, just Rebel Level 2 Equipment Group w/ 12" screen.

Last edited:

Firebird

Reaction score
I never knew you could order a 2wd Rebel

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I never knew you could order a 2wd Rebel

Yup, though only in crew cab with 5.7 bed.

They have identical equipment, including for some weird reason the skid plate under the non-existent transfer case.

They are sold mostly in Western states with big 2wd off road following, Baja prerunner types.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Are you saying the build and price says you can only get a V6? Or did a dealer try to order for you and would only allow a V6?

Build and price is notoriously wrong. They were doing the same thing with tradesman 2wd...only V6...which was also wrong.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Are you saying the build and price says you can only get a V6? Or did a dealer try to order for you and would only allow a V6?

Build and price is notoriously wrong. They were doing the same thing with tradesman 2wd...only V6...which was also wrong.

I think he is trying to build and price one from the official website. When you try to get a 12" screen, it tells you only if you remove the Hemi and get the V6.

However, using other online build tools, I'm able to get the 12" with the Hemi. Also, I've seen them in person. I think the build site is wrong.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The Rebel 12 edition is available on all of the standard model's cab, color, and powertrain configurations. The truck comes standard with a mild-hybrid 3.6-liter V6 that produces 305 horsepower and 269 pound-feet of torque. Buyers can upgrade to a 5.7-liter V8 with 395 hp and 410 lb-ft or a mild-hybrid version that has the same output but improved efficiency. All of them get an eight-speed automatic.

From a press release.

I am still searching for some actual designation.

@BTK20 Do you want just the 12 inch or the Rebel 12 package. And you said about ramboxes, do you want them also?

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Aaagghh. I just woke up and realized. I didn't change it to v8. What I get for doing something when I should have just been asleep.

BTK20

Reaction score
Thanks all for your replies. Much appreciated! Yes, I was using build and price, and yes I want the ram boxes. I'm not buying for a few months, but I like to research every nut and bolt along the way :).

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks all for your replies. Much appreciated! Yes, I was using build and price, and yes I want the ram boxes. I'm not buying for a few months, but I like to research every nut and bolt along the way :).
Sorry, for the false post. I really thought I changed the engine. It does it for both the regular and eTorque HeMi. I would completely guess it is a glitch.

I did try to do a search, but the site I use changed their options and I couldn't find the right setup.

Also, the 2019s are done being ordered so when the 2020 build and price comes up...maybe it will be right

BTK20

Reaction score
Sorry, for the false post. I really thought I changed the engine. It does it for both the regular and eTorque HeMi. I would completely guess it is a glitch.

I did try to do a search, but the site I use changed their options and I couldn't find the right setup.

Also, the 2019s are done being ordered so when the 2020 build and price comes up...maybe it will be right
Thanks! You wouldn't happen to be a Marine, would ya?

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes. I did go to the Universitiy of Science, Music, and Culture. And I see you may have deciphered my screenname.
Are you a Devil Dog aswell?

Users who are viewing this thread