5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

12" UConnect - mine comes on at night, all by itself.......GHOSTS???

Hemogoblin

Reaction score
So this happened to me again last night. Or at least, I should say, that I SAW this happen again last night. Who knows how often this happens: maybe it happens every night? I posted a thread about this back in January in the UConnect forum and no one commented so I have quoted what I wrote then, below. But it happened again last night. I didn't go outside to look (it was too damn cold to step outside....) but I could see the screen at the instrument cluster was lit up for the few seconds I watched from my window, then it disappeared and went dark.

"Saw this for the first time last night. Truck was parked on the driveway and as I was heading to bed, peaked out of the front door and saw what looked like an illuminated centre instrument cluster screen. Strange I thought and as I continued to watch, off it went. Ok.....then a minute later, on again?

It was freezing outside so I didnt feel like going out but this kept happening for a few minutes so out I went. I didnt take the key fob and looked inside (truck was locked BTW) and the USB slots, with the illuminated light around them, was always on? Very weird....

As I watched, the right stack of illuminated buttons (passenger side, along the right side of the screen) would flicker wildly, then stop and the instrument cluster would turn on (it said that thing about pressing the brake to turn the truck on). In addition, the RAM screen logo would also pop on. And of course, as I went in to grab the phone to record this, it stopped

I unlocked the truck and locked it again and it stopped doing it. At least, I went to bed and didnt see it again.

I wonder though, is it possible this was the system somehow updating itself? Anyone else experience this?"

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
probably some kind of update patch sent out by FCA...wouldn't worry unless Uconnect acts up...heck, might be a good theft deterrent!

Reverse

Reaction score
I have seen my usb ports lit up in my truck while it was sitting in the garage, far away from the keyfob. They didn't flicker, they were on steadily. That was before the latest update though, so I don't know if that's still a problem.

Hemogoblin

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I assumed it was an update of sorts, and "knock on wood" my system has been flawless for the most part. None of the issues I have read others having here and there. The only drama I ever have is in regards to Android Auto, which I suspect is more related to my old POS phone, than the UConnect itself. Several times, I connect the phone, planning to use Google Maps for navi, but the phone isn't seen or recognized and it acts like it isn't plugged in. Strange. But I'm certain it's my phone.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I assumed it was an update of sorts, and "knock on wood" my system has been flawless for the most part. None of the issues I have read others having here and there. The only drama I ever have is in regards to Android Auto, which I suspect is more related to my old POS phone, than the UConnect itself. Several times, I connect the phone, planning to use Google Maps for navi, but the phone isn't seen or recognized and it acts like it isn't plugged in. Strange. But I'm certain it's my phone.
Sometimes you have to go into your phone and see if it is set to " charging only" under "USB SETTINGS". If it is, change it or select "File Transfer" or similar. Then the phone will be recognized. I have to do it once in a while when connecting phone to my laptop.

Hemogoblin

Reaction score
Sometimes you have to go into your phone and see if it is set to " charging only" under "USB SETTINGS". If it is, change it or select "File Transfer" or similar. Then the phone will be recognized. I have to do it once in a while when connecting phone to my laptop.

When I first plug in the phone, I get a pop up on the bottom of the screen, asking me if I want charging only or to connect the phone. I always connect it. But even so, sometimes, it doesn't work. It's the phone, I;m sure.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
So this happened to me again last night. Or at least, I should say, that I SAW this happen again last night. Who knows how often this happens: maybe it happens every night? I posted a thread about this back in January in the UConnect forum and no one commented so I have quoted what I wrote then, below. But it happened again last night. I didn't go outside to look (it was too damn cold to step outside....) but I could see the screen at the instrument cluster was lit up for the few seconds I watched from my window, then it disappeared and went dark.

"Saw this for the first time last night. Truck was parked on the driveway and as I was heading to bed, peaked out of the front door and saw what looked like an illuminated centre instrument cluster screen. Strange I thought and as I continued to watch, off it went. Ok.....then a minute later, on again?

It was freezing outside so I didnt feel like going out but this kept happening for a few minutes so out I went. I didnt take the key fob and looked inside (truck was locked BTW) and the USB slots, with the illuminated light around them, was always on? Very weird....

As I watched, the right stack of illuminated buttons (passenger side, along the right side of the screen) would flicker wildly, then stop and the instrument cluster would turn on (it said that thing about pressing the brake to turn the truck on). In addition, the RAM screen logo would also pop on. And of course, as I went in to grab the phone to record this, it stopped

I unlocked the truck and locked it again and it stopped doing it. At least, I went to bed and didnt see it again.

I wonder though, is it possible this was the system somehow updating itself? Anyone else experience this?"

Hi,

Yes, this was your Uconnect system updating. The Uconnect system in your Ram Truck is able to complete two types of software updates- over the air updates, and manual updates. The update you received was over the air, this is similar to how your cell phone updates itself. Manual updates would either have to be completed by you, or by your dealership. Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Alison
RamCares

Ronkartz72

Reaction score
So mine had been doing the same thing, EVERY NIGHT!! I tried to do a hard reset to get an update, no dice. Tried to update via USD, it wouldn't take that either. I brought to the dealership and they said I need a new radio. Got the radio replaced picked the truck up this afternoon and it is doing it again. At a loss on this one!!

Users who are viewing this thread