5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

12 Inch Touchscreen Sensitivity

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is a way to adjust the sensitivity of the touchscreen? When my radio and nav are on split screen I have to touch some of the presets buttons multiple times to change radio stations. Sometimes I can hit it once and other times it takes 2,3 or 4 times before the channel changes. It does this in split screen regardless of whether the radio is on the top or the bottom screen. All other touch screen buttons work fine and when the radio is full screen I have no issues with the presets. I only have the sensitivity issues in split screen and only with the radio presets. Any help is appreciated.

Kidder

Reaction score
Are you sure it just isn't lag when you select the preset?

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Are you sure it just isn't lag when you select the preset?
Fairly certain but I’ll confirm. It definitely doesn’t change for a long time so I tend to hit it a few times. Maybe I’m being hasty but I’ll check it out.

Reverse

Reaction score
as a workaround use steering wheel controls to change presets?

Kidder

Reaction score
Fairly certain but I’ll confirm. It definitely doesn’t change for a long time so I tend to hit it a few times. Maybe I’m being hasty but I’ll check it out.
The reason I mentioned it is because I've had some lag when using Android Auto with Waze in the upper and the radio display in the lower. It isn't very common but it does happen.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The reason I mentioned it is because I've had some lag when using Android Auto with Waze in the upper and the radio display in the lower. It isn't very common but it does happen.
I checked again and it is definitely not lag. I hit it once Give it a bit and it won’t change so I hit it again...

GerryS

Reaction score
I checked again and it is definitely not lag. I hit it once Give it a bit and it won’t change so I hit it again...
I notice the same thing. My split screen is like yours, nav on top and media on the bottom. Sometimes I have to stab the touchscreen several times. I find myself paying too much attention to stabbing the screen in the right place, so I mostly use the steering wheel controls.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I notice the same thing. My split screen is like yours, nav on top and media on the bottom. Sometimes I have to stab the touchscreen several times. I find myself paying too much attention to stabbing the screen in the right place, so I mostly use the steering wheel controls.
Unfortunately, the steering wheel controls don’t just change the presets. If you use the wheel controls they start at the first Sirius channel and go one by one through each channel vs going through just the presets. It’s annoying to say the least.

Kidder

Reaction score
Unfortunately, the steering wheel controls don’t just change the presets. If you use the wheel controls they start at the first Sirius channel and go one by one through each channel vs going through just the presets. It’s annoying to say the least.
You hit the middle toggle to use the presets. The up and down goes up and down through the channels.

Xhumeka

Reaction score
My only guess regarding it happening mostly on split-screen, and not as much on full-screen is that the "hit boxes" change size. When you have a larger screen, the actual "clickable" area is bigger - so maybe when you have a smaller screen it's just harder to pinpoint what you're hitting. Kind of like on my phone compared to ipad - when there is an [X] to click to close a window, I find it much easier on my larger-screen ipad than on my tiny screen phone and find myself pressing many times on the phone.

Doesn't really help your problem I know - just suggesting it might not be a physical problem with your screen and more a "size" problem. Some day when you have time to kill waiting in the truck, try sitting as straight-on as possible with the split screen and do some testing... see if it's actually a "press harder fixes it" type tying, or if it's more "press dead center fixes it" issue.

Cheers.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My only guess regarding it happening mostly on split-screen, and not as much on full-screen is that the "hit boxes" change size. When you have a larger screen, the actual "clickable" area is bigger - so maybe when you have a smaller screen it's just harder to pinpoint what you're hitting. Kind of like on my phone compared to ipad - when there is an [X] to click to close a window, I find it much easier on my larger-screen ipad than on my tiny screen phone and find myself pressing many times on the phone.

Doesn't really help your problem I know - just suggesting it might not be a physical problem with your screen and more a "size" problem. Some day when you have time to kill waiting in the truck, try sitting as straight-on as possible with the split screen and do some testing... see if it's actually a "press harder fixes it" type tying, or if it's more "press dead center fixes it" issue.

Cheers.
Thanks for the input. I’ll give it a go and report back.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I’ll give it a go and report back.
I experimented with what you suggested and haven’t noticed a difference. FYI, while in for service on two separate occasions in the past few months I showed the issue to the Service Manager and more recently the Service Advisor I was dealing with and both said they don’t believe it’s a hardware issue. They thought it more of a software issue that may be resolved with a future update. Not sure I’m buying that diagnosis but it is what it is for now.

Users who are viewing this thread