5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

12 inch screen users

Mister 4x4

Reaction score
It started with the touchsreen stereo I installed in my 2012 (because I wanted a back-up camera), and I've been trying to just use the top side of my fingernail to 'touch' things, which works for the most part, but I'm human and forget. I'll check into the screen protector idea - thanks for the tip.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I also have mixed feelings... but mostly not for the reasons listed above.

I admit I'm also concerned about the screen bricking and losing pretty much all of the truck's electronics along with it.

But, having been in the IT world since the '80s, I am that guy who loses my sh!t when there are fingerprints on my computer screens. Partially for that reason, I've avoided getting a smart phone until this past February... and I'm learning to live with it. It still drives me up the wall when I turn the truck so the sun hits the screen face just so and all of the dust and fingerprints are on full display. I'm also not a big fan of not being able to see anything when the sun gets in that zone as well. Trying to change fan modes while driving [and hitting a soft bump or something] has me changing the input source on the radio (mildly annoying) - for that reason, I miss the knobs on my 2012.

All said and done, I'm thinking I might've been better with the 8" screen (and separate HVAC controls), but seeing that monster screen in the Black Widow I first looked at reeled me in - it's just so cool!
Driving gloves FTW 😂

BNeal

Reaction score
I love it! That was a major priority when ordering my 21.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I rode in my neighbors '19 Limited with the 12" screen and thought to myself, I've got to have that. I wouldn't buy a truck without it. I just don't like lots of knobs...it looks too cluttered.

OhioGreenLaramie

Reaction score
I like it a lot and like the clean look but would not be a deal breaker. Our other cars (Jeeps) both have the 8.4 and these are great as well. What drew me to this truck was the color and other options.

Minnie Pearl

Reaction score
I really like the 12", figured whatever I could see on a 8" I could see MUCH better on the 12, especially map routes for dirt roads that interconnect farm to market roads. The only way to know them is be born to the land, or get a county road map from the court house. Thing I would especially like to see is the whole screen used for the back up and surround view cameras. I'd also like to see a 'back' button for the radio to use after I've listened to a 'notify' song A back button would be nice to use at the end of the song, especially if I'm not on a preset station. Another screen function I'd like is select one or other mirror down with a timmer. and to be able to turn off one or the other auto running boards. All that stuff might be in there, heck I just learned the other day, when a notify alert msg, like 'Merrle Haggard song playing' comes on, just touch that alert message window and it jumps to the song. My biggest worry, like others, is: if the smoke comes out - what then? Buy a new one and send this one to Pakistan for those guys to fix? They are amazing at 'poor boying' stuff back together.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
I do like the 12" screen but it is not a deal breaker for me. I never had a vehicle with this much "technology" so I could've done without it. This was a truck on the dealers lot that I liked because of the color and other features that just happened to have the 12" screen. The word "underutilized" has been mentioned a few times in this thread and for me it definitely is. Dont get me wrong, I do like it but I dont and probably will never use it to its fullest capabilities. I love the backup camera clarity the best but it has acted up on me a few times in the 5 months I've owned it. I did a reset and it seems to be fine now though. The split screen is definitely a plus. I added a screen protector so fingerprints wipe of easily and I never had a problem with sun glare. It is still a little confusing to me when I need to change a function for whatever reason and it can be very distracting while driving. Theres definitely a WOW factor when people see it for the first time. All in all I dont mind it

maroc

Reaction score
2 is incorrect. 3 is partially incorrect if you force a system reboot, which you can do (see #2).

Last week, my OEM battery died. I followed FCA’s instructions (posted in another thread) to force a reboot after a dead battery caused me to lose cameras. It worked like a champ…no fuse-pulling or battery disconnection required.

To the OP…the 12” screen is a party piece that completes the truck. As @BowDown wrote, it’s underutilized. But I ordered my truck with it and would do so again. The split screen functionality is awesome.
You obviously haven't run into the problem where the unit quits responding. No amount of holding the phone and voice activation buttons or any other combination of buttons would reset it. This has only happened once and in late 2019 and hasn't happened since so maybe a software update has fixed it. The next time my battery dies I will try the reset to see if I get my cameras back instead of having to turn the truck off and wait.

Edit:
I should also note that if your battery dies and you have to jump it off, you don't have the luxury of turning off the truck for a while to do the reset sequence to get your cameras back.

Last edited:

maroc

Reaction score
#2 is wrong, there is a reset option, just have to know how to do it.

Your #3 isn't a 12" display exclusive thing. It happens with the 8.4" guys as well with "losing" features after a battery disconnect u til the system fully resets.
I followed the instructions for the reset and it never did anything. Tried it at least a dozen times. My unit was completely locked up with a blank screen that never showed any response. It only happened once in late 2019 so maybe a software update has fixed it.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You obviously haven't run into the problem where the unit quits responding. No amount of holding the phone and voice activation buttons or any other combination of buttons would reset it. This has only happened once and in late 2019 and hasn't happened since so maybe a software update has fixed it. The next time my battery dies I will try the reset to see if I get my cameras back instead of having to turn the truck off and wait.

Edit:
I should also note that if your battery dies and you have to jump it off, you don't have the luxury of turning off the truck for a while to do the reset sequence to get your cameras back.
You’re correct. I had to replace the battery, then do the reset sequence. If the battery hadn’t died, I wouldn’t have needed to reset anything ;)

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Edit:

I have found it far simpler to shut the truck off, open the door and let the electronics power down then either wait a couple min or shut the door leaving everything off for the same couple min and it then comes back on

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
...... Trying to change fan modes while driving [and hitting a soft bump or something] has me changing the input source on the radio (mildly annoying) - for that reason, I miss the knobs on my 2012.

All said and done, I'm thinking I might've been better with the 8" screen (and separate HVAC controls),......
Fan modes can be changed with a physical key on the left of the screen (red dash) labeled "mode."
Temp up/down in green. Fan speed is yellow and front/rear defroster are purple.
radio buttons.jpg

As for smudges. I don't touch the screen a lot and use the physical keys when possible for that same reason. Inevitably though finger prints do happen. I carry a lens cloth in my center console and wipe the screen off pretty regularly. Glare can be greatly reduced by tinting your windows, although the screen protector is a good idea too.

Last edited:

Mister 4x4

Reaction score
Fan modes can be changed with a physical key on the left of the screen (red dash) labeled "mode."
Temp up/down in green. Fan speed is yellow and front/rear defroster are purple.
View attachment 112293

As for smudges. I don't touch the screen a lot and use the physical keys when possible for that same reason. Inevitably though finger prints do happen. I carry a lens cloth in my center console and wipe the screen off pretty regularly. Glare can be greatly reduced by tinting your windows, although the screen protector is a good idea too.
Thanks.

Mine's just a little different than yours - A/C button's on the other side, for instance. I do use the hard buttons to change HVAC stuff exclusively as well, just when reaching for those switches on a less-than-perfect road (which are plentiful in San Angelo) has me changing 'something' on the radio (usually, the audio input).

My windows are tinted as well - doesn't make a difference when the sun hits the screen just right thru the windshield. First World Problems, I know.

cu-14.jpg

Last edited:

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
when I was searching for my truck I considered it a "nice to have", not a "must have". Like so many other options over the years...now that I have it I REALLLY like it.

I keep a typical microfiber cloth handy for the screen and the piano black bezel etc. The fingerprints and dust are annoying, but FAR from an actual problem.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I purchased a screen protector for mine. It's a matte finish so it minimizes finger prints, there's no glare.

Users who are viewing this thread