5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

110 Outlet

lynnray4

Reaction score
I tried to use 110 outlet with an air pump at the beach. Each time I turned on pump switch for 110 would go off. Is this normal? I’m sure pump is less than 400w

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
400w is not a lot of power, slightly more than 1/2 amp.
My truck is over a year old and haven’t used the 110v outlets.

I have been carrying a 12v dc pump in the Rambox to air up the coil spring airlift bags for towing or carrying heavy loads, I was going to use the pump the other day and there are no 12v power supply anywhere on my truck, I either have to connect directly to the battery with jumpers or use my emergency booster power pack. This is weird, my first vehicle ever without 12v outlets. Many USB, USB C and 110v but not a single 12volt outlet, the world is changing!

MurphBigHorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Don’t you have one on top of your center stack?

33e16ee937aff233fc6a741629690f46.jpg

Yeah what Eighty said! Should have one above radio. I thought the same thing. Until I tossed my sunglasses up there and noticed it lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

400 watts is 3.6amps at 110V, but the issue is more likely the current spike required to get the compressor started. Betting it's tripping a resettable fuse. Out of curiosity, did you try running the compressor without being attached to the tire? I kinda doubt it'll make a difference, but I'd try it.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
400 watts is 3.6amps at 110V, but the issue is more likely the current spike required to get the compressor started. Betting it's tripping a resettable fuse. Out of curiosity, did you try running the compressor without being attached to the tire? I kinda doubt it'll make a difference, but I'd try it.
Thanks for the amperage correction, I’m not sure what I was thinking 🤔. I forgot to multiply by 4 for every 100w

turkeybird56

Reaction score
Thanks for the amperage correction, I’m not sure what I was thinking 🤔. I forgot to multiply by 4 for every 100w
Remember, the center stack 12V only works with "key" on. U would have to go to yer interior fuse box and change setting on fuse to have the socket have power all the time.

OK: caveat: on MY 19, my center stack is fused "ignition only". U have to look at the socket cover and see if it has a "Key" symbol or a "Battery" symbol. It depends upon which symbol stamped on that lil cover on whether the outlet is active all the time or key only. On MY 19, it is key only, but I see the pic of the center stack on MurphBig horn truck (post # 7) and his shows battery, and his info shows a 2021 truck.

Last edited:

lynnray4

Reaction score
It’s an air compressor for blowing up floats at the beach. I did turn on pump before connecting to floats

jimbotron

Reaction score
It’s an air compressor for blowing up floats at the beach. I did turn on pump before connecting to floats
I have one of these that runs off 12v instead. It was like 15 bucks on Amazon and I use it to fill up rafts and such on my boat

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
I have one of these that runs off 12v instead. It was like 15 bucks on Amazon and I use it to fill up rafts and such on my boat
I have an inflator for my air bed that runs off 4 D cells. It's great when the tent is some distance from the truck. It is also really handy for coaxing lethargic barbecues into life.

turkeybird56

Reaction score
I don't know what your vehicle is but not all of the AC converter were 400 watt some were only 100 watts.

My MY 15 ED had 400 W. But to get serious, if U want to run ne thing, pick up a 2000 W pure sine inverter. U can wire into battery with heavy AWG and have in cab of truck, or U can mount under hood, or use alligator clips and run off of battery.

Cray91

Reaction score
I was surprised by the lack of power to the port in the Ram. I had a 2014 Ford Escape with a 110 outlet in the back seat. One of my coworkers straightened her hair while we were on a road trip, no issues.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
It really depends on what you are trying to power. My wife can use her curling iron plugged into the dash 110v outlet. Others are having trouble charging certain laptop computers. The AC power that's provided with the stock inverter is not a true sine wave. So some devices which depend on clean AC power cannot be used with the stock inverter.

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My truck is over a year old and haven’t used the 110v outlets.

I have been carrying a 12v dc pump in the Rambox to air up the coil spring airlift bags for towing or carrying heavy loads, I was going to use the pump the other day and there are no 12v power supply anywhere on my truck, I either have to connect directly to the battery with jumpers or use my emergency booster power pack. This is weird, my first vehicle ever without 12v outlets. Many USB, USB C and 110v but not a single 12volt outlet, the world is changing!

You don't have one on top of the dash?

magic280z

Reaction score
400w isn't much, but did you try it with the engine running? A little extra juice from the alternator could keep the voltage from dropping spiking the amps. The pump should have a label on it somewhere stating the power requirements.

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 - Crew Cab/5.7 Bed - 5.7 Hemi - 3.92 - Anti Spin - Level 1 Options - RamBox - BUG

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Anything with a motor, and especially a compressor, requires a certain 'spike' of inrush current in order to start motion. A curling iron is a heating element which does not require large inrush. Gotta believe for safety reasons that these inverters can only handle moderate inrush, regardless of constant draw. I'd be curious too about having the motor running and whether that bit of charging voltage would make a difference. Over the years I've had a number of those small 12V compressors and never had a problem...

Users who are viewing this thread