5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

10 Day Review- Nearly All Conditions

Mopar21222

Reaction score
Truck is in Signature, I'm a MOPAR guy, motorhead, Engineer and have owned all Gens of Rams and a Dakota from DR Gen to Present. Last truck was 2014 Outdoorsman and I waited for Incentives to improve and pounced on an early-build 2019 with close to the options I wanted.

The 1 word that best sums it up is: "Crazy." The Improvement from Gen 4 to 5 cannot be overstated, everything is better. Interior blows all competitors and the Gen 4 out of the water, exterior styling is ones preference, I love it. An area I was concerned with was the carry-over powertrain, but my concerns have been alayed. It feels like a 20%+ improvement in low-end torque and drivability and the engine is so smooth and responsive, the 15+ year old engine is totally reinvigorated. I've got an Explorer with the detuned 3.5EB which is an animal, so I'd love to have a 3.6 Pentastar Turbo, we'll see what 2021 brings, as I'm sure FCA has their hands full with the HD launch this winter.

Interior
Mine was an early run, take it or leave it to the dealer near NYC, as it is a Laramie without the Level 1 or 2, so you get bench seat and no add ons. Seats are incredibly comfortable, Climate control excellent, NAV and new Gen UConnect are phenomenal, much improved.

Towing
I've got a 23-Ft Triple-toon, when loaded for camping, we are probably ~ 6K lbs in towing and then gear in the truck too. Went on an hour trip, with some brutal terrain, with the road exceeding 10% for 2+ miles in a stretch. Tow-Haul is massively improved, as it basically did nothing in my other trucks. Now it holds the gears much better, keeping the engine in the power band and with the much improved bottom-end and slightly smaller tires, I was able to pull 1 gear higher than my 2014. Brakes are incredible. The stability in the near rear-end suspension and frame is tremendously comforting, awesome improvement. I'd rate it as a night and day improvement, very well done FCA.

The overall driving experience is astonishing, cannot overstate the incredible job that the FCA team has done. The refinement, drivability, smoothness, quietness, quality are without a doubt the biggest step the company has taken in their redesigns, probably the biggest jump the industry has seen. Thank you Mr. Manley in corporate and his team of engineers and thank you Mr. Marchione for your leadership. I greatly look forward to the HD launch in 2019!

BostonBlueRam

Reaction score
Truck is in Signature, I'm a MOPAR guy, motorhead, Engineer and have owned all Gens of Rams and a Dakota from DR Gen to Present. Last truck was 2014 Outdoorsman and I waited for Incentives to improve and pounced on an early-build 2019 with close to the options I wanted.

The 1 word that best sums it up is: "Crazy." The Improvement from Gen 4 to 5 cannot be overstated, everything is better. Interior blows all competitors and the Gen 4 out of the water, exterior styling is ones preference, I love it. An area I was concerned with was the carry-over powertrain, but my concerns have been alayed. It feels like a 20%+ improvement in low-end torque and drivability and the engine is so smooth and responsive, the 15+ year old engine is totally reinvigorated. I've got an Explorer with the detuned 3.5EB which is an animal, so I'd love to have a 3.6 Pentastar Turbo, we'll see what 2021 brings, as I'm sure FCA has their hands full with the HD launch this winter.

Interior
Mine was an early run, take it or leave it to the dealer near NYC, as it is a Laramie without the Level 1 or 2, so you get bench seat and no add ons. Seats are incredibly comfortable, Climate control excellent, NAV and new Gen UConnect are phenomenal, much improved.

Towing
I've got a 23-Ft Triple-toon, when loaded for camping, we are probably ~ 6K lbs in towing and then gear in the truck too. Went on an hour trip, with some brutal terrain, with the road exceeding 10% for 2+ miles in a stretch. Tow-Haul is massively improved, as it basically did nothing in my other trucks. Now it holds the gears much better, keeping the engine in the power band and with the much improved bottom-end and slightly smaller tires, I was able to pull 1 gear higher than my 2014. Brakes are incredible. The stability in the near rear-end suspension and frame is tremendously comforting, awesome improvement. I'd rate it as a night and day improvement, very well done FCA.

The overall driving experience is astonishing, cannot overstate the incredible job that the FCA team has done. The refinement, drivability, smoothness, quietness, quality are without a doubt the biggest step the company has taken in their redesigns, probably the biggest jump the industry has seen. Thank you Mr. Manley in corporate and his team of engineers and thank you Mr. Marchione for your leadership. I greatly look forward to the HD launch in 2019!
Was this a paid endorsement?? Just joking - glad to hear this stuff. I plan to buy my first truck ever by year end and am glad to say it will be a Ram!

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the review. All the guys showing up towing their travel trailer well with this 5th Gen have me thinking my numbers again.

The payload is the limiting factor for me. But it sounds like you may have been loaded up pretty good.

If you get a chance @Mopar21222 could you give a good description of what was in the truck with you, both inside and bed.

The 1500 would work with our current setup...I drive the tow truck and she droves the family and our current camper is 26 foot and 6500 so currently it would work, but we got some long trips planned and was gonna try one vehicle, and a larger camper is in her sites.

Sorry for the rant...I am about to pull the trigger on a truck, and the dealer has a few 2019s that are very tempting.

BostonBlueRam

Reaction score
Thanks for the review. All the guys showing up towing their travel trailer well with this 5th Gen have me thinking my numbers again.

The payload is the limiting factor for me. But it sounds like you may have been loaded up pretty good.

If you get a chance @Mopar21222 could you give a good description of what was in the truck with you, both inside and bed.

The 1500 would work with our current setup...I drive the tow truck and she droves the family and our current camper is 26 foot and 6500 so currently it would work, but we got some long trips planned and was gonna try one vehicle, and a larger camper is in her sites.

Sorry for the rant...I am about to pull the trigger on a truck, and the dealer has a few 2019s that are very tempting.
Devildodge for some reason I thought you ordered a rebel already. Maybe it was some outdated posts I saw.

Mopar21222

Reaction score
Thank you Gentlemen, not a paid stooge post at all, just a passionate, lifelong MOPAR owner. If FCA did not launch this redesign, I would be in an '18 F150 3.5 EB Lariat now.

Further improvements I would like to see in the 1/2 Gen cycle redesign, probably in 2022 or 3:
Simple Black Appearance Package on all trims, Turbo-6 engine with around 500ft-lbs torque, Bigger Stock Fuel Tank, Smaller Add-on Factory Options (wheel well liners, rear seat storage etc) without having to get the various Level packaged options that some people may not want.

For my heavier towing, I pretty much load up the Tritoon with as much gear as I can, to keep the weight on the trailer, which is in the upper-end of the weight ratings for the trailer tires. In the truck, its my family of 4, misc travel gear etc. Assuming ~ 600# of tongue weight, 600# in people & gear, so I'm around 1200 or so lbs of payload, with 1314# rating.

I'm gentle on my stuff and had no concern and a much better rear-end feel than my Gen4. The only thing I noticed was the factory LT18's say they are "C" load rating, instead of "E" like the Bridgestones I had on my G4.

greatrush2112

Reaction score
Well said and couldn't agree more. I don't give a cat's fart if it's a paid endorsement, it's exactly how I feel.

STILL GRINNING! Every time I push that cheap-*** lego plastic start button! lol

Oh that gave me the biggest laugh I've had all week! Thank you and I couldnt agree more about the start button!

Users who are viewing this thread