5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1 Year Anniversary

RAM#2

Reaction score
I will first admit that I am a few months late in posting this as I have actually had my 2019 Ram for 14ish months. However, I feel tat I need to share a few things. My Ram came with it's share of issues on Day 1 of ownership - Sun/Moon Roof Drain Tube, Poor A/C Performance, Green Lines on the back-up camera, Side mirrors that droop / fail to return to their starting position after backing up, Rear breaks that screech out when first backing up in the early morning, etc... HOWEVER - I will say that I Still Love My Truck - and RAM has busted their backside to ensure that many of these 1st year New Model Year issues have been addressed.

Last Summer spent my first road trip sweating my backside off as the A/C just wasn't able to keep up with the heat. This Summer (closing off a July w/ 25+ days in the 100+ ranges - the A/C didn't skip a beat. It still cycles Fresh Air in periodically - I am still waiting on the Engineering Reasons/documentation which I know that I will not receive and I do question its validity but it has worked like a champ. What changed - after a handful of visits the system was purged, inspected, and recharged. that is it.

Sun/Roof...… I fixed it because the dealers while they knew of the TSB, apparently didn't read it and they wanted to call the "Leak doctor" to find out where all of the water was coming from...….

Green Lines in the backup camera - the camera has been changed 2 or 3 times and the lines keep popping up every once in the while when I jump into the truck at 0-Dark-30 to head to the office. I always thought it to be a moisture issue but had it crop up again about a week ago and it has been so hot and dry here that my grass crunches when I walk on it.....

Drooping Side Mirrors - Dealer can't read the TSB, they can't duplicate it, yet I keep having to readjust (raise) the mirrors every week or so so that I can see the traffic coming up on me vice the road.

Break Screeching - It took a few trips but the Service Manager taught his crew to read and I no longer wakeup the world when I backup at 0-Dark-30 and hit the breaks.

All of the Majors have been addressed, the local dealer Service Departments Suck, and I still Love my RAM and look forward to driving the wheels off of it.

By the Way - I saw my 2013 RAM yesterday as my Son came by and it is running strong with over 300K miles on it.

Blessings Y'all - Don

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Thanks for the 14 month update report. While I have only had 1, count em’, 1 issue during my 15 months, it’s not to say that things won’t happen later.
My issue was/still is the tailgate down warning... It’s only very sporadic and a good strong closing usually takes care of it. Just a sensor/connection, not worth a trip into the dealer yet.

JDBob35a

Reaction score
I've had all the normally reported issues, (Leaks, brake noise, tailgate, sorry A/C, etc, etc.) Guess when the sales guy waited till after I'd signed the papers to tell me I'd have to slam the tailgate to get it shut I should have knew it was gonna be bad. December of this year will be 1 year for me.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I will first admit that I am a few months late in posting this as I have actually had my 2019 Ram for 14ish months.
It's okay, I'm sure she'll forgive you for forgetting your anniversary if you pick her up a case of oil and a dozen (+4) spark plugs.

RAM#2

Reaction score
A "Funny" thing happened to my wife as she was driving through the rain about 2 weeks ago... Water was running into the back seat of my 2019. I initially thought the seal was folded/or even tore. I told her to open and close the window and it should be OK. I was wrong, she sent me a picture that showed little to nothing, and she took it straight to the dealer (STARR Motors of Suffolk, VA) who took a look at it the following day and then told her that they needed to check w/ MOPAR Vehicle Protection (which I was provided Free of Charge by FCA due to the many issues that I have had with my 2019 since Day #1 - Moon Roof Drain Seal improperly installed 3+ visits (I ultimately found the TSB and fixed it myself after flooding my rear floorboard multiple times because I bought my truck just before a mini monsoon season), poor A/C cooling - more visits then I care to count & dealer finally purged and recharged the system in order to get it to "cool", green lines in the backup camera X2, chattering breaks when backing up.....) to see if it was covered. Late last week I took a closer look at the picture and zoomed in on the window to see that the rain water was actually flowing over the top of the frame and in fact not coming from the glass in any way as I originally thought. Surely this would be covered as there was no cracked glass, cab damage in and around the rear window, etc...

Fast Forward almost 2 weeks - I called the dealer to see the status because STARR Motors of Suffolk Virginia had yet again failed to call &/or leave a message while claiming to have done so during the call and I was informed that this was NOT A COVERED repair. Believing that I was again getting the poor customer service that has become the norm for the dealer over the last 5ish years I chose to call the warranty folks myself to be told the very same thing (Sorry Starr Motors but the last 5 yrs of poor service led me to not believing you.)

I would like to know if this is in fact a covered problem/issue, fearing that I have already know the answer based upon all that I have read, for I am ready to end my 20+ year / 7+ vehicle relationship with Dodge, RAM, & Starr Motors especially due to the "FUN" that I continue to have with my 2019 RAM. (Green Lines in the backup camera intermittently (Already replaced twice), Side Mirrors that continue to fall (Dealer can't replicate but did turn off the down tilt function the last time I took it in to replace the driver side mirror that was chewing itself up when attempting to fold/unfold), a loud ticking sound that comes from engine compartment only when outside temperature is 45ish degrees and below (Dealer claims it is the injectors misfiring or clogged... but doesn't happen when it is warm outside and didn't attempt to check it out...), and now a rear window frame that cracks and leaks ....) Mind you that I have been anxiously awaiting the store front opening of Franklin Dodge/Ram in Franklin, VA for I am of the mind/heart set that much of my problem is with Starr Motors.... but I am starting to have some major second thoughts on the entire relationship.

HemiDude

Reaction score
Unfortunately a leak from/around the rear of the truck is not uncommon. Some have had success with a new rear window, some have had leaks from the actual cab corners. Your '19 is probably not going to get resolved (cheaply) for a couple of reasons: 2019 was the first year for a new body style truck. New body styles of any make are notorious for having bugs that weren't worked out before production, Ram has been no exception; Second, 3 years into your Ram's life, the water leak at the window won't be covered by the warranty, as glass-related issues apparently have a shorter coverage period (I have generally heard 1 or 2 years).

Sucks that you have experienced this level of problems, you probably need to cut bait with the truck. Maybe take some solace in the fact that many other Ram owners have experienced few to no issues with their trucks, so the odds are that your replacement truck would be a winner are pretty good.

HemiDude

Reaction score
By the way, my '20 Ram had the cracked/leaking rear window frame. After reading of multiple failed attempts by dealers to fix others' leaks, I chose to forgo the dealer route and attempt to fix it myself. I replaced the gasket on my third brake light and put some clear rtv down around it, and installed a strip of weatherproof body seal material over the rear window, down in the channel. Leak stopped. I wish you luck whichever way you go 🍻

RAM#2

Reaction score
Unfortunately a leak from/around the rear of the truck is not uncommon. Some have had success with a new rear window, some have had leaks from the actual cab corners. Your '19 is probably not going to get resolved (cheaply) for a couple of reasons: 2019 was the first year for a new body style truck. New body styles of any make are notorious for having bugs that weren't worked out before production, Ram has been no exception; Second, 3 years into your Ram's life, the water leak at the window won't be covered by the warranty, as glass-related issues apparently have a shorter coverage period (I have generally heard 1 or 2 years).

Sucks that you have experienced this level of problems, you probably need to cut bait with the truck. Maybe take some solace in the fact that many other Ram owners have experienced few to no issues with their trucks, so the odds are that your replacement truck would be a winner are pretty good.
Honestly thought about it but the current market is a double edged sword AND as I have stated the local dealership sucks. I honestly thing that is my biggest heartburn. Zero pride in workmanship and customer service is out the window.... Of all of the Dodge & Ram products I have owned - This one has been a problem since day 1 and further compounded by the dealerships response. As for other owners with zero problems..... I am also one of those. My 2013 RAM is running STRONG with 200K+ on it. I just sold my 2007 Durango with over 250K on it. Both burn zero oil, don't smoke, still strong as a bull elephant, and can leave all traffic behind.....

RAM#2

Reaction score
By the way, my '20 Ram had the cracked/leaking rear window frame. After reading of multiple failed attempts by dealers to fix others' leaks, I chose to forgo the dealer route and attempt to fix it myself. I replaced the gasket on my third brake light and put some clear rtv down around it, and installed a strip of weatherproof body seal material over the rear window, down in the channel. Leak stopped. I wish you luck whichever way you go 🍻
Already thought about going that rout but hoping Dodge will step up and do the right thing. If I do have to do this.... it will be the last straw I fear.

Users who are viewing this thread