5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

“Automated” A/C hack - my version

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m going to use a 2016 VW beetle heater valve, which is a simple normally open plunger, activated with 12v.

I also have a “snap disc” thermostatic temp switch, that closes at 80-degrees F.

I’m going to power it, from my “a/c clutch” fuse, so that..
1) if a/c in engaged
-and-
2) ambient temp over 80
-then-
Valve closes, no hot water to enter heater core.

Why the temp switch?
Because, the a/c sometimes comes on, in cold temps, with the defroster, and I don’t want to have a no-heat situation when running my defroster in the winter.

I’ll post some installed pics.

If it works well, maybe I’ll do some “kits” for forum members.

Attachments

• 02034E04-1261-470A-9FEE-DF40F6F3A622.jpeg
    02034E04-1261-470A-9FEE-DF40F6F3A622.jpeg
    188 KB · Views: 271

Ram92131

Reaction score
Very clever! I’d suggest adding a manual kill switch in the circuit somewhere so you can disable it seasonally... I bet the AC runs a lot more in the winter than you would expect, and this could affect the system’s ability to heat the cabin.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would think only if he mounted that "snap switch" inside the cabin would it ever read over 80.
I'm a schematic guy so I'd love to get my hands on a set for these new rigs :)

Why the temp switch?
Because, the a/c sometimes comes on, in cold temps, with the defroster, and I don’t want to have a no-heat situation when running my defroster in the winter.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m going to use a 2016 VW beetle heater valve, which is a simple normally open plunger, activated with 12v.

I also have a “snap disc” thermostatic temp switch, that closes at 80-degrees F.

I’m going to power it, from my “a/c clutch” fuse, so that..
1) if a/c in engaged
-and-
2) ambient temp over 80
-then-
Valve closes, no hot water to enter heater core.

Why the temp switch?

I’ll post some installed pics.

If it works well, maybe I’ll do some “kits” for forum members.
Did you ever get this working?

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I installed it, and yes it worked great. then, the valve (which was a Chinese part) started leaking, so I abandoned it.

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
FCA with their arsenal of engineers has to be able to create something like this that works. I guarantee you it would be a hell of a lot cheaper than ripping dashes apart!

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
FCA with their arsenal of engineers has to be able to create something like this that works. I guarantee you it would be a hell of a lot cheaper than ripping dashes apart!

They'll only incur the cost of ripping dashes apart (and also the pressure of unsatisfied customers) if people bring their trucks into the service department instead of making home remedies to fix the issue...

Users who are viewing this thread