5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

‘23 MY Steering Wheel Change

wangstarr03

Reaction score
Hey all - has anyone else noticed that the steering wheel was changed for the ‘23 MY on upper level trims (Longhorn & Limited, in particular)? The top half used to be matching wood grain with the rest of the interior but now is just leather wrapped.

IMO the change doesn’t tie the interior together as well - I loved the wood portion. Any educated guesses as to why? Would a ‘19-‘22 steering wheel be a direct swap (I assume so)?

These subtle changes are messing with my head.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep seems like you get less and less even with a limited trim that use to be included in the previous years… just sad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jloops

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Somebody had posted a video a while back showing things you don’t get automatically anymore. I think another one was no spray in bedliner standard on Limited anymore.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Somebody had posted a video a while back showing things you don’t get automatically anymore. I think another one was no spray in bedliner standard on Limited anymore.
Yep.
These are all additional features in packages not standard anymore.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Wonder if it's cost cutting or the lack of materials that forces the individual suppliers to make these changes.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Wonder if it's cost cutting or the lack of materials that forces the individual suppliers to make these changes.
How could it be suppliers?
They offer the same things, but charge more for it.

Spray in bed liner was not removed, but is no longer standard. Steering wheel is the same way. You can get it just like a 2022, but not standard. Base MSRP and package prices also went up.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
How could it be suppliers?
They offer the same things, but charge more for it.

Spray in bed liner was not removed, but is no longer standard. Steering wheel is the same way. You can get it just like a 2022, but not standard. Base MSRP and package prices also went up.

I thought the steering wheel was missing a detail, wood grain I believe the OP mentioned? The company that makes the steering wheel for example may not be able to get enough of that trim piece, so they change the design to not include it or limit how many will get it, so a typical Limited that had that detail on it's steering wheel in earlier model no longer gets it in 2023.

There are examples of this throughout the industry, suppliers may have to make certain parts different due to a lack of components, often on the interior or accessory components. Electronic suppliers (or chip suppliers) who can't get the parts usually results in a lack of complete subsystems, like multi-displacement on V8 GMs a couple of years ago.

Of course I also said it could be cost cutting, such as removing spray liner as standard. Though maybe that could also be due to a lack of materials to make it standard, so they charge and limit the amount, that is also possible right?

mophead

Reaction score
I loved my 2012 Jeep GC wood steering wheel. The heat was perfect in the winter too.

Silverlion

Reaction score
Hey all - has anyone else noticed that the steering wheel was changed for the ‘23 MY on upper level trims (Longhorn & Limited, in particular)? The top half used to be matching wood grain with the rest of the interior but now is just leather wrapped.

IMO the change doesn’t tie the interior together as well - I loved the wood portion. Any educated guesses as to why? Would a ‘19-‘22 steering wheel be a direct swap (I assume so)?

These subtle changes are messing with my head.
I agree. I just took delivery of a 2023 Limited Elite to replace my 2019 Limited. While the new truck has some improvements over my previous truck, a few changes, quite frankly pissed me off. In addition to the steering wheel, the door handles are the same over all trim levels, eliminating the chrome inserts. The cd player is also now deleted. The newer version of uconnect is lifeless compared to the previous truck. I can provide a more detailed comparison but don’t want to rant..especially with a 10k increase in acquisition cost over my last truck.

wangstarr03

Reaction score
I agree. I just took delivery of a 2023 Limited Elite to replace my 2019 Limited. While the new truck has some improvements over my previous truck, a few changes, quite frankly pissed me off. In addition to the steering wheel, the door handles are the same over all trim levels, eliminating the chrome inserts. The cd player is also now deleted. The newer version of uconnect is lifeless compared to the previous truck. I can provide a more detailed comparison but don’t want to rant..especially with a 10k increase in acquisition cost over my last truck.
No by all means, please continue - I was at the dealer picking up my truck from service, today and randomly struck a conversation with a sales person that got me thinking about trading my ‘19 for a ‘23 given the incentives they are currently offering (more aggressive and appealing than other manufacturers).

That said, I’m a detail oriented guy, especially when it comes to my cars, so probably better for me to find out now to set proper expectations (if I pull the trigger) rather than upon delivery. FWIW, I would be considering a fully optioned up Longhorn - the Limited just isn’t “different“ enough in a positive way.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Limited elite hmm time to google that and see what that is. Gotta love more complicated trims lol.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Say if I was a new potential Ram owner and didn’t know now anything about the what the higher end packages included in 19-22 I wouldn’t be upset but in reality since I am a 5th Ram owner, besides any future mechanical issues that would have me thinking trade in time, it would be a hard for me to trade in my 20 for a 23 with the lack of standard features and now more pricier add on’s if they’re even available anymore.

2 weeks prior before I was able to get into a bodyshop to fix some yahoos damage to my rig I looked at trading it for months but just couldn’t justify the price increases and for less features where I started to just deal with the dents lol.. well avoid walking on the passenger side so I wouldn’t see them.

Silverlion

Reaction score
No by all means, please continue - I was at the dealer picking up my truck from service, today and randomly struck a conversation with a sales person that got me thinking about trading my ‘19 for a ‘23 given the incentives they are currently offering (more aggressive and appealing than other manufacturers).

That said, I’m a detail oriented guy, especially when it comes to my cars, so probably better for me to find out now to set proper expectations (if I pull the trigger) rather than upon delivery. FWIW, I would be considering a fully optioned up Longhorn - the Limited just isn’t “different“ enough in a positive way.
Sure, my comparison is Limited specific, but here goes, additions on the 2023: digital dash, heads up display, suede headliner, multi function tailgate, center bumper step, cargo rails are the noticeable additions. Both my trucks had the indigo/salt interiors but my 2019 used more leather than the leather/cloth in the Elite version. I personally believe these are cost cutting efforts where they can. Both these trucks were custom ordered and I repeated all features I could. My 2019 was an early version built prior to the availability of the tailgate. My recommendation would be to see the model you’re interested in to the flesh. I sent a complaint to RAM because all the pictures of the 2023 Elite available when I ordered in September 2022 had the features they deleted in production. I just got the same BS response. I guess the industry is facing more than just a chip shortage challenge.

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sure, my comparison is Limited specific, but here goes, additions on the 2023: digital dash, heads up display, suede headliner, multi function tailgate, center bumper step, cargo rails are the noticeable additions. Both my trucks had the indigo/salt interiors but my 2019 used more leather than the leather/cloth in the Elite version. I personally believe these are cost cutting efforts where they can. Both these trucks were custom ordered and I repeated all features I could. My 2019 was an early version built prior to the availability of the tailgate. My recommendation would be to see the model you’re interested in to the flesh. I sent a complaint to RAM because all the pictures of the 2023 Elite available when I ordered in September 2022 had the features they deleted in production. I just got the same BS response. I guess the industry is facing more than just a chip shortage challenge.
The only true "changes" vs your 19 are the digital dash and HUD - everything else was an option or related to the new interior you chose. Dash is all-new. HUD was added/optional in 2021. Your last interior was frost, not sea salt - that is new since 2022 and the cloth inserts are merely styling choices, not cost cutting - they wouldn't bother with a suede headliner in that interior if they were cost cutting. The steering wheel change is a bit strange and might be cost cutting, but I have also seen long-term owner complaints of wood discoloration, so maybe they dropped it for that reason.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
is there an option to order/get the chrome inserts on the handles? The thing that makes it more infuriating is that the truck they use on the website when has the chrome inserts. Makes the truck POP

Users who are viewing this thread