5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

‘23 MY Steering Wheel Change

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
I thought the steering wheel was missing a detail, wood grain I believe the OP mentioned? The company that makes the steering wheel for example may not be able to get enough of that trim piece, so they change the design to not include it or limit how many will get it, so a typical Limited that had that detail on it's steering wheel in earlier model no longer gets it in 2023.

There are examples of this throughout the industry, suppliers may have to make certain parts different due to a lack of components, often on the interior or accessory components. Electronic suppliers (or chip suppliers) who can't get the parts usually results in a lack of complete subsystems, like multi-displacement on V8 GMs a couple of years ago.

Of course I also said it could be cost cutting, such as removing spray liner as standard. Though maybe that could also be due to a lack of materials to make it standard, so they charge and limit the amount, that is also possible right?
I am not sure most people know what it takes to assemble a vehicle
all the assembly plant does is build the frame, build and weld the sheet metal for the body, paint the body, doors, hood and frame.
everything else is sent to the plant, seats, dashboard, center console, headliner, door panels, front grill, etc

if those companies make small changes the assembly plant might not know until the part shows up

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
So how much does someone want to pay for my 2022 Limited heated steering wheel WITH the wood trim pieces? $600, 700, do I hear $1500???

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So how much does someone want to pay for my 2022 Limited heated steering wheel WITH the wood trim pieces? $600, 700, do I hear $1500???
Yea right. I bought mine for $189 and the 6 o'clock trim piece for $179 from the dealer brand new..

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yea right. I bought mine for $189 and the 6 o'clock trim piece for $179 from the dealer brand new..
Lol. Not just the trim pieces.
I'm talking about the entire wheel (and it's heated).

The OEM wheel itself I believe is $700 without the trim.

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Lol. Not just the trim pieces.
I'm talking about the entire wheel (and it's heated).

The OEM wheel itself I believe is $700 without the trim.
I bought the complete steering wheel also, with wood trim and heated. $189. See if I can find my invoice.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I bought the complete steering wheel also, with wood trim and heated. $189. See if I can find my invoice.
That's a crazy good deal if so.
Even on ebay a used Limited steering wheel is over $700 with scratches in the leather in back.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Even on ebay a used Limited steering wheel is over $700 with scratches in the leather in back.
I bought one from ebay a couple years ago for $159. Actually it was a Longhorn wheel, but also with the wood insert. It was in like new condition. But I had to transfer the switches to it from my Laramie wheel.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am a lowly Laramie owner but feel your pain - recently traded my 21 on a 23 and picked-up some very nice upgrades like 12' and UConnect5 as well as the adaptive cruise and lane keep and the optional digital cluster and LED hitch lamp. I lost the chrome door handle inserts and bright door sill pads, fender flares and 4-way lumbar (23 has 2-way). In the end it was a good trade for all the improvements I got in the new truck but most of those were also available in 21 if I had selected the packages with the exception of the hitch light and 12"digital cluster. I think I am 50/50 on the fender flares but as dumb as it seems I think the chrome handle inserts (including tailgate handle) really look a ton better than the body color inserts with the black passive entry button. I also think the weird dent in the fuel door that started in 22 is dumb.

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here is the order I placed, Wheel and insert.
wheel.PNG

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am a lowly Laramie owner but feel your pain - recently traded my 21 on a 23 and picked-up some very nice upgrades like 12' and UConnect5 as well as the adaptive cruise and lane keep and the optional digital cluster and LED hitch lamp. I lost the chrome door handle inserts and bright door sill pads, fender flares and 4-way lumbar (23 has 2-way). In the end it was a good trade for all the improvements I got in the new truck but most of those were also available in 21 if I had selected the packages with the exception of the hitch light and 12"digital cluster. I think I am 50/50 on the fender flares but as dumb as it seems I think the chrome handle inserts (including tailgate handle) really look a ton better than the body color inserts with the black passive entry button. I also think the weird dent in the fuel door that started in 22 is dumb.
the dent is completely dumb and unsightly,,,and even the limited looks blah without the chrome inserts

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Here is the order I placed, Wheel and insert.
View attachment 160932

That's not a complete steering wheel, I bought one too for a spare. You'll need to swap your current components to it

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
What’s your wheel tire setup and suspension? Nice truck bud
Thanks. Tires are Les Schwab Open Range, wheels are Hostile H108 Sprockets, and suspension is the stock air suspension set to OR2 LOL. I have leveling links for the suspension but I lose the OR2 setting with them installed so I took them back off for now. Plus, the wife likes it to go as low as possible when she puts it in entry/exit mode. She's not tall LOL.

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks. Tires are Les Schwab Open Range, wheels are Hostile H108 Sprockets, and suspension is the stock air suspension set to OR2 LOL. I have leveling links for the suspension but I lose the OR2 setting with them installed so I took them back off for now. Plus, the wife likes it to go as low as possible when she puts it in entry/exit mode. She's not tall LOL.
Thanks for the info! Do you happen to know off hand offset, and other specs for your setup? Are those 35’s?

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info! Do you happen to know off hand offset, and other specs for your setup? Are those 35’s?
Haha no, they're 32 inch tires. Sorry, I don't remember what the wheel offset is. The tires are 275/55-20, which is the stock size for a 2020 Ram 1500 with 20 inch wheels.

Users who are viewing this thread