5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Successfully Enabled OEM Remote Start

frisby5

Reaction score
Hmm. As long as you have the key fob programmed to the truck, both settings turned on in Alfa, you have the connector at the hood latch and push start, you should be working. I’m not sure
Well it was programmed for the tailgate last year but does the dealer have to program the fob specifically for remote start? They only did the tailgate for me when i went there awhile back i didnt even know about remote start working back then

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well it was programmed for the tailgate last year but does the dealer have to program the fob specifically for remote start? They only did the tailgate for me when i went there awhile back i didnt even know about remote start working back then
I don’t believe so. Just as long as the fob is programmed to your truck to actually start and unlock the truck, the functions on the remote should work. @Jimmy07 may have to chime in.

frisby5

Reaction score
I don’t believe so. Just as long as the fob is programmed to your truck to actually start and unlock the truck, the functions on the remote should work. @Jimmy07 may have to chime in.
Well maybe i will wait alittle bit see if the truck takes the changes and then try again

saladbar

Reaction score
I am trying to do the same with my new-to-me 2019 Bighorn. I haven't bought the fob yet but I am wondering a couple of things...

1. Multiple people in this thread mention they have their dealer program their key. I have seen other postings and youtube videos (like this one) mention they can program their fob using Alfa. Is this not the case anymore?
  2. I currently do not have the latch that has a sensor, I found the one that I can replace it with, but from the quick glance I saw in my engine bay, I cannot seem to locate the plug that the sensor for the latch connects to. Do I have to run my own cables back to the BCM?
  3. Off topic, but I read on this post saying that as soon as you program a fob that has the "double click to release tailgate", the tailgate release works. Is that true?

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am trying to do the same with my new-to-me 2019 Bighorn. I haven't bought the fob yet but I am wondering a couple of things...

1. Multiple people in this thread mention they have their dealer program their key. I have seen other postings and youtube videos (like this one) mention they can program their fob using Alfa. Is this not the case anymore?
  2. I currently do not have the latch that has a sensor, I found the one that I can replace it with, but from the quick glance I saw in my engine bay, I cannot seem to locate the plug that the sensor for the latch connects to. Do I have to run my own cables back to the BCM?
  3. Off topic, but I read on this post saying that as soon as you program a fob that has the "double click to release tailgate", the tailgate release works. Is that true?
1. You can NOT program a new key with Alfa, it has to be done at the dealer, an experienced lock-smith or you can buy a fancy expensive key programmer.

2. I'm not sure on adding the hood latch connection if you don't already have it.

3. Yes, the tailgate will work also if you got a fob that has that button. My dad did and it worked just fine. No extra steps, just have them program the fob to the truck.

@Jimmy07 might know more about the hood latch and adding that if your truck doesn't have it.

outlaw24

Reaction score
I have a 2022 Rebel Eco-Diesel that did NOT have factory remote start and had the basic (lock/unlock/horn) fobs. I ordered 2 new remotes with the remote start/suspension lower and tailgate drop buttons. I had them programmed by my local dealer and they work to start the truck and will now drop the tailgate!! Excellent!

But the remote start does not work. It looks like it tries to start when I push the start button twice, the lights flash and the horn honks, but no crank or start. The dealer said it is because I do not have the hood latch switch. Can I order and install just the hood latch switch? Anyone have a picture or part number for what I need? I assume the wires should already be there just not connected to anything. Thanks for the help!

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 2022 Rebel Eco-Diesel that did NOT have factory remote start and had the basic (lock/unlock/horn) fobs. I ordered 2 new remotes with the remote start/suspension lower and tailgate drop buttons. I had them programmed by my local dealer and they work to start the truck and will now drop the tailgate!! Excellent!

But the remote start does not work. It looks like it tries to start when I push the start button twice, the lights flash and the horn honks, but no crank or start. The dealer said it is because I do not have the hood latch switch. Can I order and install just the hood latch switch? Anyone have a picture or part number for what I need? I assume the wires should already be there just not connected to anything. Thanks for the help!
@Jimmy07 hopefully chimes in, he may know. He's the expert on this stuff.

Have you looked under the hood and checked to see if the connection is there and just needing the actual latch sensor? If so, that should be relatively easy to obtain.

outlaw24

Reaction score
@Jimmy07 hopefully chimes in, he may know. He's the expert on this stuff.

Have you looked under the hood and checked to see if the connection is there and just needing the actual latch sensor? If so, that should be relatively easy to obtain.
I did take a quick look but everything is covered with a big plastic cover. I will take it off and look better when I get home. If the wires are there I can probably just jumper them together to make it work (simulated switch) or to test it. I'm not too worried about it starting with the hood open. Thanks!

outlaw24

Reaction score
I removed the cover and checked for any wires near the hood latch but I don't see anything. If anyone knows the part number for the hood latch switch AND harness please let me know.

Or if you know where I can find the wires or the harness connector that is supposed to go to the switch and the colors, I can probably just connect them together to simulate an always closed switch. I think this will work because the lights flash and the horn honks when I try to remote start so I'm guessing everything else is good!! Thanks again!

frisby5

Reaction score
I removed the cover and checked for any wires near the hood latch but I don't see anything. If anyone knows the part number for the hood latch switch AND harness please let me know.

Or if you know where I can find the wires or the harness connector that is supposed to go to the switch and the colors, I can probably just connect them together to simulate an always closed switch. I think this will work because the lights flash and the horn honks when I try to remote start so I'm guessing everything else is good!! Thanks again!
Do you have switch/button for the hood? You also have to enable the remote start in alfa obd if it isnt programmed already. Then you have to drive past 30mph for it to start working per *jimmy07

outlaw24

Reaction score
I got my remote start working!! 2022 Rebel EcoDiesel with NO HOOD LATCH switch. I had to do the same as everyone else did (Alfa OBD, SGM cable, new remote start key fobs programmed by dealer...). In addition because I didn't have the factory hood latch switch I had to do 2 extra things.

1) I added my own hood switch and wired it to connector C1, Pin 11 on the BCM. I found this by looking at the install instructions for the MOPAR remote start kit. There is a link to download the install instructions at the bottom of this page. It shows the BCM and the connector and wire to use.
MOPAR remote start install
I cut the wire going to the pin and connected one side of the switch to the wire (Pin 11) and the other side of the switch to ground.

2) I had to "enable" the switch with Alfa OBD. The setting was CBC CONFIG I/O: CONNECTOR A PIN11: HOOD AJAR SWITCH INPUT PRESENT set to YES.

That was it! I was terrified to cut the wire going to the BCM but it seems to work well for me. Try this at your own risk. It is working for me but no warranties.

As a bonus my remote tailgate drop also works. I didn't have to do anything for that, the new fobs being programmed was all that was needed.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread