5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hemi Rusty Oil Pans

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine looks bad too.. 19 BH w/ 80k mi.
How is this not a recall? If the pan leaks while underway and loses oil pressure it could cause catastrophic failure resulting in a possible collision, no?

By itself, no. The oil pressure gauge will drop and check engine light come on, giving you plenty of time to pull off the road. Even if you keep driving until the engine seizes up, you'll have an opportunity to coast onto the shoulder. If you ignore all warnings and leave it dead in the middle of the road, *that* might become a problem.

snowman68

Reaction score
Hey everybody while under my truck replacing my sway bar bushings which turned out great. I was looking around as I really do not service my new cars. I noticed the oil pan to be in very rough shape and worse than I have ever saw on a new truck/car under 4 years old and under 100,000 kms. Who else has Had this issue with a 5th Gen ? Also did it get covered by warranty as this is clearly poor metal or just crap paint on the oil pan. Funny thing a new pan is under $300 CAD. The dealership that I spend a lot of money in service with them their manager said it can not be covered as it probably was hit by a rock and the chip caused all this rust. The only thing flawed about his comment is that the rust above the oil drain plug there is no way a rock chipped it there. Also my truck is a highway-driven truck, not a back-road machine :). Looking forward to the comments!!

View attachment 154004 View attachment 154005 View attachment 154006

snowman68

Reaction score
Hey everybody while under my truck replacing my sway bar bushings which turned out great. I was looking around as I really do not service my new cars. I noticed the oil pan to be in very rough shape and worse than I have ever saw on a new truck/car under 4 years old and under 100,000 kms. Who else has Had this issue with a 5th Gen ? Also did it get covered by warranty as this is clearly poor metal or just crap paint on the oil pan. Funny thing a new pan is under $300 CAD. The dealership that I spend a lot of money in service with them their manager said it can not be covered as it probably was hit by a rock and the chip caused all this rust. The only thing flawed about his comment is that the rust above the oil drain plug there is no way a rock chipped it there. Also my truck is a highway-driven truck, not a back-road machine :). Looking forward to the comments!!

Same thing on my 2019 Laramie 70k miles. Disgusted. Calling CNA warranty tomorrow. Dealer says it's not covered as "rust and corrosion terms"

Gearjammer

Reaction score
Short term, drain the oil, wire brush/sand the rusty spots, go crazy cleaning it with lacquer thinner / acetone and butter it up with the stronger of the two JB weld products [get the BIG tubes] I have used that recipe on many pans, so far without failure [until it rusts in a new spot.]

I'll be spraying my new truck with ...something ... to slow that down.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Short term, drain the oil, wire brush/sand the rusty spots, go crazy cleaning it with lacquer thinner / acetone and butter it up with the stronger of the two JB weld products [get the BIG tubes] I have used that recipe on many pans, so far without failure [until it rusts in a new spot.]

I'll be spraying my new truck with ...something ... to slow that down.
This seems to only effect 2019 model year.

stebo

Reaction score
My pan is pretty rusty too. Rusty enough that when I noticed it, I was shocked. It's not as rusty as yours though. I have a 2019 with 104K miles.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
My pan is pretty rusty too. Rusty enough that when I noticed it, I was shocked. It's not as rusty as yours though. I have a 2019 with 104K miles.
Just clean it off and throw some paint on it.

There are also chemicals you can buy to spray on that will deactivate the rust before you paint it. I use Rust Cutter https://www.amazon.com/Rust-Kutter-Converter-Professional-Repair/dp/B001U1KDDC
It's pretty cool stuff just don't breath it in.

If it's bad I would clean, spray, clean, spray, rinse and let dry then paint.

j.clark-2019

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Longhorn, 62K miles. My oil pan is rusting out so much it is bubbling now. I amazed because i go to the car wash all the time. I have contacted RAM corporate and working with an agent to have it repaired on their dime (or most of theirs) if possible. The estimate my dealer gave me was almost 2K. With that repair, two cracked exhaust manifolds, an overhead console, and 2 replacement rear windows for leaks on a 5 year old truck I am seriously doing a double look on these vehicles and future RAM's.

Kiwiaudio

Reaction score

That manager needs his head examined. Hit by a rock my a.. !!
Take it somewhere else to be checked out. That is seriously messed up and will leak very soon.
It looks bad enough in your pictures that i can see a wire brush job breaking through it. That is the worst ive ever seen !

Last edited:

Geobound

Reaction score
Just at my dealer now with a 2019 1500 LTD with 75000km , and guess what they have old me……yep, the rock hit my oil pan and caused it to rust out.

$1500.00 CDN and not covered by my 5 year 100,000km warranty…..even though my 5 years are not up until August.

All service has been done at the dealer, and never mentioned until now.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Just at my dealer now with a 2019 1500 LTD with 75000km , and guess what they have old me……yep, the rock hit my oil pan and caused it to rust out.

$1500.00 CDN and not covered by my 5 year 100,000km warranty…..even though my 5 years are not up until August.

All service has been done at the dealer, and never mentioned until now.
Crooks. Go to a different dealer. No way I would settle for that. They know there’s a known problem with this. Should be a recall.

Users who are viewing this thread