5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bilstein install. What did I do wrong?

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Might wanna put a little anti seize on the Bilsteins threads just in case you ever need to move that clip again or remove the spring.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When I did the 5100's on my off road package truck the cheap little rental spring compressors were bending pretty badly. I remember not wanting to even touch the entire assembly in fear of one snapping and kill me or my buddy.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't have an issue with that, but near me, I was being quoted prices from $125-$200 to have them do 15 minutes of work.

Not sure why, but ALL of the local shops near me have been bought up by Mavis, whoever they are. Pep Boys Auto Center, Tuffy Tire and Auto, Tire Kingdom, Action Gator Tire Centers, etc. The shops that had the spring compressor said they weren't able to use them anymore due to corporate policy. The mom and pop shops were mostly closed on Saturday at 12pm when I needed them. I do know of one shop that would do it for $50 or less, but they were closed.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Damn that sucks! Yeah I went to a small shop. Even for my last swap I think I paid $80 and that was just installing the coils on, no swapping. They usually want an hours labor.

Jedi9

Reaction score
Going to setting 7 I measured how much I needed to compress more than factory, 1 3/4 or whatever it was, I compressed it that much before I removed it from the stock strut so if the compressor did let loose the spring wasn't going anywhere. You also do not want to use the rod nut to compress the spring. If I ever adjust the height again I'm going to get this compressor.compressor linky

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Going to setting 7 I measured how much I needed to compress more than factory, 1 3/4 or whatever it was, I compressed it that much before I removed it from the stock strut so if the compressor did let loose the spring wasn't going anywhere. You also do not want to use the rod nut to compress the spring. If I ever adjust the height again I'm going to get this compressor.compressor linky
That's the one I have. Works really good, for the most part. The brace that connects the two is kind of cumbersome, and I took it off after first attempt.

skyhawk42

Reaction score
I've always taken the front struts to a shop for $30 and let them swap the coils. I might not be the best looking guy, but I wanna keep what I have!! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
$30? Shops by me all quoted $150-200 if everything was off the truck and brought to them . That’s what lead me to just buy the tool and do it myself.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
$30? Shops by me all quoted $150-200 if everything was off the truck and brought to them . That’s what lead me to just buy the tool and do it myself.
Most recent was $80, but I'll still pay a shop to do it so I don't risk the chance of sh*t going south which I have seen before. Hard Pass!

JOzzz

Reaction score
Sounds like a flipped spring perch if you are getting that much pressure. Yours should look like this. If you can see the clip, they’re upside down. IMG_1083.jpeg

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sounds like a flipped spring perch if you are getting that much pressure. Yours should look like this. If you can see the clip, they’re upside down.

Did you even read the thread before responding?

Users who are viewing this thread