5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I hate the blackout packages but I also don't like a lot of chrome.
My ideal package would be the nite edition without the blacked out wheels and maybe a brushed "aluminium" grill surround

BowDown

Reaction score
I'm Gen Y and prefer a mix. For example, I liked the limited without night edition but with the body colored bumper. I think the 2025 Tungsten is the perfect mix of chrome.

Completely agree, to me, the Tungsten is the perfect mix. I love the Tungstens one piece front as well.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Who said anything about wanting Ram to fail? Of course it all comes down to making money. What do you think makes the world go 'round? Consumers can absolutely send a message and affect the bottom line of a large corporation. Just ask the makers of Bud Light. You can bet that if people stop buying an option the car maker will decide not to offer it anymore. As demonstrated in the early 2000's with the Quadrasteer system on Chevy pickups. Bottom line is if you want the option or feature enough you'll pay what they're asking. If not, you won't buy it.
This is not a case of paying what they ask.

Want a tungsten with a normal size bed 5'7 ie without Ramboxes?
Not possible.

People not buying the tungsten because of that will not change anything Ram does.

The V8s sell way more then V6, but they got rid of V8 so obviously what sells does not stay.

Dewey

Reaction score
lol, I feel just the opposite. I absolutely despise the black out options on the trucks. it reminds of nothing but an Amish buggy.
I am just guessing that you are a little younger than I am, seems the older generations (x) like myself like the chrome it's what we are used to and like, the younger generations like the black and body color options and hate chrome. it's just a generational thing and the auto makers are having a hard time trying to figure out how to please both Markets. I actually think Ram has done a better job of it by offering the higher end Limited standard with chrome and black as an option. it fits the older crowd better and still can appease the younger crowd. chevy on the other hand did just the opposite and their styling packages really irritate me. they offer very little standard chrome on the high-end models (high country up). they try to appease to both generations by offering body painted bumpers and trim. a lot of us old farts hate body color bumpers and trim as much as we hate the black out package. this is one of the reasons I switched from chevy to ram, I was in the market for a top end model this time as I am getting ready to retire in a couple years and chevy had the damn painted bumpers vs the chrome ones that I want. Ram put together 2 high end trucks to appease these generational gaps the best they could. my salesman said it's a never-ending conversation between buyers, he said you can almost tell what styling they want by the appearance of how old they are when they walk in the door.
I’m 55 and grew to hate chrome. Had plenty of it in my life a decided I needed a change.

Pretty happy with my Amish buggy and all 395 horses.😆

IMG_1469.jpeg

Last edited:

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
This is not a case of paying what they ask.

Want a tungsten with a normal size bed 5'7 ie without Ramboxes?
Not possible.

People not buying the tungsten because of that will not change anything Ram does.

The V8s sell way more then V6, but they got rid of V8 so obviously what sells does not stay.
You should be aware of the subject matter in a post that you quote. If you quoted me by mistake that's one thing, but the subject in that quote was about paying more for Night Edition and the black badges that it comes with. If enough people stop opting for certain packages they will eventually stop offering it.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
You should be aware of the subject matter in a post that you quote. If you quoted me by mistake that's one thing, but the subject in that quote was about paying more for Night Edition and the black badges that it comes with. If enough people stop opting for certain packages they will eventually stop offering it.
Not always true.
Business is all about money, but sometimes you take a small loss to accept a larger win in the future.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Not always true.
Business is all about money, but sometimes you take a small loss to accept a larger win in the future.
Business IS all about money. If people stop paying for an option package they'll stop offering it. Period. Now they may bring it back at some point in the future, but they would not continue offering it year after year if they have to lower the price of it to the point where they are losing money year after year. Any option package that doesn't make money won't last more than a model year or two at the most beyond that point.

Again, the Quadrasteer option is a perfect example of this. It was a $7000 option when it first came out for 2002. Hardly anyone bought it so they lowered the price three times over the next few model years until it was down to $1000 in its final year, when they actually lost money on the system. It was gone the next year.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Chrome is a good option if you plan to keep it forever.
It ages better aesthetically, and is more durable against rock chips, etc.

Look at some of the older trucks with body color trucks - they usually look like they've been to hell and back.

Chrome looks old when its new, then stays that way.

But I'll be getting no chrome next.
That might have been true when they actually used real chrome on trucks, and not just plastic coated to look chrome. The "modern" chrome plastic panels do not age well, and the chrome clad wheels will pit and peel

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Some vehicles look good with chrome. Like my 1966 D100 Custom PXL_20230812_141113378.jpg

Other trucks,Ike my Built to Serve RAM would look horrible with chrome instead of black trim
PXL_20231026_230926370.jpg

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Business IS all about money. If people stop paying for an option package they'll stop offering it. Period. Now they may bring it back at some point in the future, but they would not continue offering it year after year if they have to lower the price of it to the point where they are losing money year after year. Any option package that doesn't make money won't last more than a model year or two at the most beyond that point.

Again, the Quadrasteer option is a perfect example of this. It was a $7000 option when it first came out for 2002. Hardly anyone bought it so they lowered the price three times over the next few model years until it was down to $1000 in its final year, when they actually lost money on the system. It was gone the next year.
If businesses operated without government funding, bailouts, fees, and tax breaks that would all be true.
There is a lot going into the trucks that have to do with funding and the government more then just the price we pay. If they can sell something and get tax breaks for the amount they would of lost to turn into profit that is still money, but not always coming from us.
I don't think they are just changing options just because, they are doing it for reasons to get people into particular higher trim higher priced models with better margins.

You reference the quadrasteer, and act like it went away for good but GM is putting it in their Silverado EV so it's not gone it seems. If it was such a total loss why do they keep trying to push it on people :unsure:

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That might have been true when they actually used real chrome on trucks, and not just plastic coated to look chrome. The "modern" chrome plastic panels do not age well, and the chrome clad wheels will pit and peel

This is true. I was thinking mainly of the bumpers. I cringe every time I see an older ford with Crinkled up chrome plastic on their grille.

6of36

Reaction score
I've never had trouble with the chrome clad wheels. I've had a few vehicles with them, and go through Michigan winters. Just like anything else, you may have been unlucky with a bad one.

Adjutant

Reaction score
Probably right Idahoktm. I have the white, and I just couldn't come to grips on the bumpers being white too, so I was Ok with the chrome.
It looks good to me, which is all that matters.
But we also have a newer grand cherokee that's black with very little chrome accents and I think it looks good.
Ive NEVER liked or wanted a white truck until I saw an Ivory White Longhorn. There is something about the Ivory White that is just perfect.

6of36

Reaction score
Ive NEVER liked or wanted a white truck until I saw an Ivory White Longhorn. There is something about the Ivory White that is just perfect.
The ivory tri-coat makes a huge difference. No matter how loaded a truck is, plain white looks like a work truck.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
If businesses operated without government funding, bailouts, fees, and tax breaks that would all be true.
There is a lot going into the trucks that have to do with funding and the government more then just the price we pay. If they can sell something and get tax breaks for the amount they would of lost to turn into profit that is still money, but not always coming from us.
I don't think they are just changing options just because, they are doing it for reasons to get people into particular higher trim higher priced models with better margins.

You reference the quadrasteer, and act like it went away for good but GM is putting it in their Silverado EV so it's not gone it seems. If it was such a total loss why do they keep trying to push it on people :unsure:

Too bad they're only putting it on their EV truck. I had a 2002 1500 with Quadrasteer. It was a fun little truck and the 4 wheel steering worked great. The turning radius was incredible. And it was a great match to my 1989 Honda Prelude w/4WS. It's been close to 20 years since Chevy dropped it. Technology has definitely improved since then and people might actually like it now. I never said anything goes away forever. There is a number of cars being sold today with a 4WS system.

Rebond

Reaction score
The ivory tri-coat makes a huge difference. No matter how loaded a truck is, plain white looks like a work truck.
Some of those work trucks are sleepers though ;)

Attachments

• Ram on Dyno.jpg
    Ram on Dyno.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 43

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've never had trouble with the chrome clad wheels. I've had a few vehicles with them, and go through Michigan winters. Just like anything else, you may have been unlucky with a bad one.
Nothing I've ever had trouble with as I don't do chrome wheels. But know several that have.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I actually prefer the bright white on a sport or night package and Ivory with chrome. That said I've never been a fan of ivory white reminds me of the white walls in a smokers house.

Last edited:

Dewey

Reaction score
Same here. Last two Laramie’s with chrome clad looked as good as new yet well after 100,000 miles and 5 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/