5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steering Wheel gets "Sticky"

Terrible_One

Reaction score
UPDATE June 8th: My truck is FIXED and my dealership paid 40% and then RAM paid an additional 50%! What was $4,200 was ended up only $500. I basically only paid a deductible. I'm very, very happy with the service and the resolution from both D*ck Hannah (the profanity nannies filter out the poor guy's first name!) dealership and RAM HQ!!! I am a loyal customer again.

UPDATE May 25th:
Dealership confirmed it's a steering rack failure and the whole thing needs to be replaced. $4,200 parts and labor. This should really be a recall or something that RAM takes care of post warranty...

Ok, so this is truly bizarre, but my steering wheel will get sticky at the 11 o-clock position, and what's really weird about it is that it ONLY happens when I get up over 55 mph. I can drive around town all day and my steering wheel is perfectly normal, comes back to center and drives like a dream. Within moments of being on the highway, the steering wheel suddenly feels thicker but nothing real noticeable until I make a left turn, then once it hits about 11 o-clock, it sticks a little and holds at the 11 o-clock position by itself. As I straighten the wheel it will just give out and suddenly let go and return to center, which is both unsafe and concerning. I know there was a steering rack issue on the 2019 such as mine, but the reason I'm confused is the behavior of my steering issue only happening (so far) at higher speeds and it doesn't fit other reports of being a steering rack. It seems more electrical and/or bad sensor type of behavior. And yep, I have lane-keep assist turned off as that was already a thought.

Any help would be appreciated before I take it to the dealership where they will likely try to tell me they couldn't replicate the issue, though I will record it myself and show them before I come in.

Last edited:

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
That is not normal, definitely take it to the dealership for an inspection and at least report it, there could be a TSB on it.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
These rams have electric power steering so there's more than likely an issue with the system because that is definitely not normal.

HemiDude

Reaction score
OK, first off I read your post for about 10 seconds before I realized you were talking about a bad spot in your steering... I was literally trying to envision your steering wheel randomly getting sticky :ROFLMAO:

Seriously though, that sounds like a rack. These trucks have electric assisted steering, but the racks are somewhat traditional, including fluid and seals inside. This is assuming your front suspension is in good condition - no damage, worn ball joints, etc.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
OK, first off I read your post for about 10 seconds before I realized you were talking about a bad spot in your steering... I was literally trying to envision your steering wheel randomly getting sticky :ROFLMAO:

Seriously though, that sounds like a rack. These trucks have electric assisted steering, but the racks are somewhat traditional, including fluid and seals inside. This is assuming your front suspension is in good condition - no damage, worn ball joints, etc.

Yup, I wrote a whole paragraph about the steering wheel leather before I realized what he was really talking about. I was fast with the edit button.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Definitely something wrong with the system. The steering ratio adjusts as speeds increase so small adjustments with the wheel don't jerk you side to side, but when going slow you don't have to turn as far to get a response. Which is probably why it only happens when you are moving faster.

Terrible_One

Reaction score
Definitely something wrong with the system. The steering ratio adjusts as speeds increase so small adjustments with the wheel don't jerk you side to side, but when going slow you don't have to turn as far to get a response. Which is probably why it only happens when you are moving faster.
This makes total sense. It seems like the variable ratio is on the frits and gets confused at speed. Would this still be a potential rack replacement? Is there some sensor or anything that might be the problem?

dyeguy1212

Reaction score

There is no fluid in an EPS gear.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score

Same here! I was going to comment to not let his kids play in the truck. They tend to sticky stuff up.

But yea, get it fixed. It sounds dangerous.

Terrible_One

Reaction score
@RamCares - Does the steering rack, assuming it is the culprit and to be replaced, fall under the factory warranty period? My truck is a 2019 with 32,000 miles on it, so it should be within factory warranty.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
@RamCares - Does the steering rack, assuming it is the culprit and to be replaced, fall under the factory warranty period? My truck is a 2019 with 32,000 miles on it, so it should be within factory warranty.
You don’t have long left on that warranty, so you better at least set an appointment with a dealer. That way if it takes them five weeks or 5 months to get to your truck, you can claim that you made the appointment when you were still in warranty.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Technically, you are probably outside the 3 year portion of the warranty unless you purchased after this day in May of 2019

Booch

Reaction score
Front sway bar end links a little loose? I had some wonky steering after an alignment (two, actually), and decided to check torques on everything. Mine were a tad loose, and that fixed it. Of course the alignment might be to blame, but I did have loose body mount bolts a while back too (got that 'pop' sound). So, it might be worth checking everything is torqued.

Terrible_One

Reaction score
Front sway bar end links a little loose? I had some wonky steering after an alignment (two, actually), and decided to check torques on everything. Mine were a tad loose, and that fixed it. Of course the alignment might be to blame, but I did have loose body mount bolts a while back too (got that 'pop' sound). So, it might be worth checking everything is torqued.
There is no way it's a loose sway bar link my man, not when it only happens at highway speeds consistently. It's at the dealership now and the service advisor said he talked with a mechanic who did say he has heard/seen the issue. So that's good news that I probably won't get the runaround. Bad news is my truck is out of factory warranty, but we'll see how it goes.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Do you have lane keep assist? It does sounds like the steering rack tho

Users who are viewing this thread