5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Defective Mopar oil filter, lifter noise on startup

smonska

Reaction score
Just an FYI to folks, did my first oil change at 4k. Used a Mopar oil filter purchased at Walmart. On next few cold starts I heard a lot of lifter noise for a few seconds until oil pressure came up, indicating a bad anti-drainback valve in the oil filter. Noise was never there before.

Changed it out for a Fram Ultra, next start no lifter noise, instant oil pressure. Don't know what QC is like on the Mopar filters these days....

kblast523

Reaction score
I had the EXACT problem and complained to selling dealer service department. Their answer was to note on service record: "Unable to dupicate noise owner reports. There is noise from valve train on cold startup, but that is normal for this engine. Explained to owner the cam is farthest part lubed by oil pump and there is nothing wrong." Changed oil and filter (Wix) and guess what...yeah,it stopped. Silent (except exhaust) mechanicals, every start, hot or cold, for 4k miles. Bet they'd be surprised when it came back with a flat cam and trashed rollers at 35k miles...

airgas1998

Reaction score
i periodically get lifter tick when i'm at a slight incline. i don't think it has anything to do with what filter is on there. i'm running a fram ultra and its done it with that one.

smonska

Reaction score
This was specifically on startup, and it was every start after an hour or more of sitting. Very noticeable as it was totally non-existant before my oil change.

Wouldn't it be something if that was the cause of the flat cams over the last 10 years? ;-) I doubt it, as say one in 10 people use Mopar filters, and one in a hundred is bad, that's still awfully rare. I'm just always the lucky one who gets the bad part. At least when something doesn't sound right I'm all over why. Comes from flying single engine aircraft.

airgas1998

Reaction score
then yes certainly could be in your case...mine maybe once in every 3-4 starts (coldish about 5 hrs of sitting) especially on an incline.

sarge40

Reaction score
I just got an automated service reminder email at around 2k miles. They proceeded to tell me that they don't do oil changes (my dealership offers lifetime oil changes) before 6k miles and that the automated notifications need to be fixed - but that's a different story... I asked them about the defective Mopar filters as I too have the lifter ticking at startup. The service writer had to consult with the manager before coming back to me telling me that there are no known issues with Mopar filters.

I guess everyone experiencing this (especially those who changed filters out, fixing the noise) are imagining this problem. The dealership and manufacturer never lie. :ROFLMAO:

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just an FYI to folks, did my first oil change at 4k. Used a Mopar oil filter purchased at Walmart. On next few cold starts I heard a lot of lifter noise for a few seconds until oil pressure came up, indicating a bad anti-drainback valve in the oil filter. Noise was never there before.

Changed it out for a Fram Ultra, next start no lifter noise, instant oil pressure. Don't know what QC is like on the Mopar filters these days....
Which Mopar oil filter did you purchase: the MO-339, or the MO-889?

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram DT 1500 Silver Billet Laramie, Quad Cab, 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, 18 inch wheels. Build date: 17 April 2018. Now at 024505 miles.

kblast523

Reaction score
I guess everyone experiencing this (especially those who changed filters out, fixing the noise) are imagining this problem. The dealership and manufacturer never lie. :ROFLMAO:
I would take offense at imagining this, but my RAM is not the only one I've ever had do this. 1964 Dodge 318 y-block did it. 1962 Ford 352 did it. 1966 Ford 289 did it. 1975 351M and 351W did it. 1979 Pontiac 301 did it....do I need to go on? Whenever one of my vehicles has 'dry lifter' sound on startup, over the last 50 plus years, changing the filter fixed it. Every time. Since about 1995 I learned to buy 'quality' oil filters. Wix, NAPA Premium, and when you take the 'used' filter back to the retailer they have always exchange it for ---FREE---. Until the HEMI, the last vehicle with lifter rattle at startup was a 2012 Ford Focus with a Motorcraft filter, and it was missing the drainback valve apparently when I installed it.

Damion

Reaction score
FYI the SRT mopar oil filters will work in our trucks, a bit more expensive but I have been reading good things about them

sarge40

Reaction score
I would take offense at imagining this, but my RAM is not the only one I've ever had do this. 1964 Dodge 318 y-block did it. 1962 Ford 352 did it. 1966 Ford 289 did it. 1975 351M and 351W did it. 1979 Pontiac 301 did it....do I need to go on? Whenever one of my vehicles has 'dry lifter' sound on startup, over the last 50 plus years, changing the filter fixed it. Every time. Since about 1995 I learned to buy 'quality' oil filters. Wix, NAPA Premium, and when you take the 'used' filter back to the retailer they have always exchange it for ---FREE---. Until the HEMI, the last vehicle with lifter rattle at startup was a 2012 Ford Focus with a Motorcraft filter, and it was missing the drainback valve apparently when I installed it.

No offense intended towards those of us (myself included) who are "imagining" this problem. I was of course being sarcastic when I said that everyone was just imagining the problem.

Your examples are case in point that this problem is real. Just like the A/C issues that everyone is having that the dealers and FCA refuse to accept as a real problem, admitting that this issue exists would be a costly admission for FCA.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

I want to listen for it next time I start my truck, what exactly does it sound like, is it easier to hear it in the cab or outside standing near the hood? I'm assuming it's a clackity sound?

kblast523

Reaction score
I want to listen for it next time I start my truck, what exactly does it sound like, is it easier to hear it in the cab or outside standing near the hood? I'm assuming it's a clackity sound?

Sounds like your solid lifter circa 1968 Z28 302cid Chevy starting...click-clickety-clickety-click...then it stops, but not before the engine gets up to about 1000-1200 rpm...Problem is, wear won't show up until your warranty leaves you. Not nearly as noticeable unless you are in your garage.

smonska

Reaction score
Luckily, the answer to this particular issue isn't that complicated. Don't use Mopar filters, stick with PureOne, Fram Ultras, Mobil 1, etc. Oil filters with Silicone ADVs.

Last edited:

wvinson

Reaction score
i periodically get lifter tick when i'm at a slight incline. i don't think it has anything to do with what filter is on there. i'm running a fram ultra and its done it with that one.
I get lifter noise on my '19 Limited 5.7 off and on although I can't seem to find a pattern of when it's doing it.
My '14 and '17 sport with the 5.7 did the same thing so I figured it was normal for this engine.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Finally heard the startup noise today, I work from home so my truck may sit for two to three days at a time before it started, but for the first time I heard the "clackety clack" sound for about 2 to 3 seconds before it went away,

It was loud and unmistakable, definitely not something you'll miss. Actually, I may have heard this sound once before but I assumed it was part of that weird startup noise people were complaining about in another thread.

I wonder how many times you can do this without it causing some wear on your motor? Either way, I'll be replacing it with a quality aftermarket filter real soon.

MQQSE

Reaction score
Luckily, the answer to this particular issue isn't that complicated. Don't use Mopar filters, stick with PureOne, Fram Ultras, Mobil 1, etc. Oil filters with Silicone ADVs.
Not so fast. I have had the ticking at start up, read about switching filters, and now that I've switched to a Mobil One filter I still have the tick. The start up tick is annoying and I have built several engines in my past and can tell you there is premature wear happening with this ticking at startup. I love Ram and have been a Mopar fanatic for years, but a n engine at this caliber should not be ticking at start up. Not only is it annoying, but when you're showing off your truck to friends and start it up it's down right embarrassing. When I went to the Ram truck test event, those trucks ticked at start up at times as well. I asked the engineers and they acted like they never heard it before. Anyway, I think more people need to make a big deal about this because your lifters are getting hammered as well as your camshaft.

Someone else on here was talking about all the old cars that had this issue like it's normal. Maybe in the early 70's but it's unacceptable in 2019!

smonska

Reaction score
MQQSE, sorry to hear that the Mobil 1 didn't fix it on your truck, I guess I was a bit hasty in my summary, and listing filters I don't actually have data to support fixing it. I can say I'm glad the Fram Ultra fixed it on mine, I've had it sit for a few days, and still no tick. FWIW I'm using the Castrol Extended Performance (gold bottle) 5W-20.

Last edited:

MQQSE

Reaction score
MQQSE, sorry to hear that the Mobil 1 didn't fix it on your truck, I guess I was a bit hasty in my summary, and listing filters I don't actually have data to support fixing it. I can say I'm glad the Fram Ultra fixed it on mine, I've had it sit for a few days, and still no tick. FWIW I'm using the Castrol Extended Performance (gold bottle) 5W-20.
Hey thanks, smonska. Maybe I'll try the same combo you had luck with. I've noticed other 2019 and 2020 Ram 1500's on youtube startups having the same ticking issues. I think it's a lot worse than we see on the forum. I also drove a new 19 Ram 1500 directly from the Ram factory (was a test mule) and noticed it had the same issue. At that time I thought it ticked because it was a test mule, but mine does the exact same thing. I hate showing people my truck and they say, "cool truck start it up so we can hear it" then I start it and they go "WTF"

The_Chemist

Reaction score
Glad I found this thread. I have the 5.7 liter non e-torque engine. My Longhorn is a definite lemon, so yet another problem doesn't surprise me in the least.

I just recently started hearing the clack, clack, clack at cold startup. I figured it was a lifter, valve, cam sort of issue.

My truck has about 5,400 miles on it now. I just changed oil for the second time at around 5,300 miles. The first oil change was about 2,200 miles.

The clack, clack, clack started at around 5,200 miles. I never heard it before then. So it happened before and after the last oil change. Two different filters.

The clacking noise can last up to a few minutes before it goes away. Sometimes it is as short as 15 seconds or so. I can only imagine the extent of wear that is taking place during this time period.

It took FCA and the dealer 1 year and 3 months to get most of the issues with this truck somewhat fixed. Because of this, with a little fighting involved, FCA gave me an 8 year bumper to bumper warranty. They refused to buy the lemon back.

I bought this truck now, to use as my retirement vehicle in less than 6 years. My thoughts were to pay for it while I'm still working, keep the mileage low and use it as my retirement vehicle. I drive a 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited AWD as my daily driver. Not a single issue with that vehicle in the 9 years I've owned it. Just a crappy dealer in Harrisburg...

I'm sure my 8 year warranty will be long gone by the time the effects of engine wear manifests itself. Once again, FCA will screw me over and I'll be stuck.

I love FCA vehicles, but their quality is bottom of the line. Reliability is extremely poor.

Next time I have the truck at the dealer for some of the suspension clunks, I'll mention the cold start clacking, but I don't hold out much hope!

Users who are viewing this thread