5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Defective Mopar oil filter, lifter noise on startup

Mr.G

Reaction score
WOW. I have always used OEM filters figuring they were the best. Which brand is the best ?

HoosierTrooper

Reaction score
WOW. I have always used OEM filters figuring they were the best. Which brand is the best ?
Mopar OEM MO-339 oil filters are far from "the best". They use cellulose filter media and nitrile ADBV's while better made filters like Fram Ultra and Wix XP use synthetic media, wire backing on the media and silicone ADBV's.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I think there is a fatal design flaw with these engines. We're stuck!

I have two buddies with late model 5.7L RAMs and over 200K each, they seem to being doing just fine. I think if there was a major flaw with these motors, at least widespread enough to affect a good amount of trucks, we would be hearing about it.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I sincerely hope you are correct. I'd like to hold onto this truck for the next 20 years.

I hope so :)

But I mean, every vehicle is susceptible to issues, every make has some sort of "kink" with their drivetrain. But its usually limited to a small percentage of the vehicles in production. The 5.7L V8 is in so many FCA vehicles, other than lifter/camshaft flatspotting issues on a certain year Hemis, it seems to been generally trouble free.

Scram1500

Reaction score
Mopar OEM MO-339 oil filters are far from "the best". They use cellulose filter media and nitrile ADBV's while better made filters like Fram Ultra and Wix XP use synthetic media, wire backing on the media and silicone ADBV's.
I've been using the OEM with my suspicions. Had a real bad filter on my 4th gen, sounded like the valves came out the tail pipes after sitting for a few days. Do you have the Wix XP part number?

Users who are viewing this thread