5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Off Road Parks and Places to get away.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Wondered if anyone has a place to go in their particular part of the world.

We have Rock Run nearby and a short day trip away is Raush Creek.

We used to have Muddy Run Raceway and Muddy Run Training grounds, but the Raceway closed and the grounds were sold off to the public.

But, we do still have 3 events at Snowshoe Raceway to get some mud on your truck.

Last edited:

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Not much around here either. We just run the powerline. It's about 30km(19 miles) long. Has some good water crossings and muddy sections. Pulled many SUV's out of water and mud.:)

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
www.rockrunrecreation.com

Rock Run is mostly for Atvs and side by sides...but it does have a section for trucks and jeeps.

Just outside of Prince Gallitzin State Park, a beautiful place to Camp, hike, bike, kayak, fish, and hunt etc.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member103

Well, had a 2nd thought for the day -- here goes; in "my part of the woods" / Mountain West, we have an abundance of Forest Service and BLM Land " (legal) Opportunities to enjoy all sorts of Off Roading Adventures ! But even in the Mid-West and other "flat-lands" Clubs exist - the Jeep Club comes to mind, and they offer all sorts of Trips & some closer than you would think (Mid-Weat) !
But, for me personally, I do not go on "day trips" just to get the tires/wheels muddy ! Though we do indeed have a Local Spokane Area known as 'Dishman Hills' that can be "Fun" to do just that ! So I've seen in video . Half the fun of going on an extended "adventure" is the back roads approach to getting to the "destination ! Adventure for me mostly involves a Fly Fish / Camping experience of at least 3 days, if not 3 weeks+ ! Remember I'm Retired now so I can do these things as long as this old body holds out (not at all 'bragging") ! The money is tight, but if you Plan well and pinch some extra pennies it is well worth the "Joy" ! Staying off the Interstates and finding the "roads less traveled" makes the driving more enjoyable too ! Lots more to "see" and much easier to just pull off to the side of the road ! And THAT is how I do it ! ! !

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
We are always taking backroads and trying to find a mud hole to plow through and a hill to crawl up over just to see what's on the other side. Glad to have your thoughts on this. Hope to get a chance to travel the Midwest and the West coast someday, right now we are just biding time on the east coast.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
We have a ton of spots here in BC, one of the most popular places is Stave Lake which has some giant mud pits that look like puddles where lots of amateurs wreck their trucks. There is also a ton of logging and forest service roads that we have access to. The campsite I went to last weekend was 12-13km on a logging road to get to.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
We used to be able to drive pretty much anywhere on logging roads and strip mine access roads but it all got bought up or turned into state gamelands.

They were doing gameland tours but that stopped, they have been opening the access roads during hunting season though.

D

Deleted member103

We used to be able to drive pretty much anywhere on logging roads and strip mine access roads but it all got bought up or turned into state gamelands.

They were doing gameland tours but that stopped, they have been opening the access roads during hunting season though.

45 years ago Your part of PA. was darn NICE . . . what happened ? Yea I know . . . "progress !" UGH !
Waaayeeee to populated back East . So glad I had the opportunity to "get-out," going to college ( Utah State ) - though a "culture shock" at 1st, turns out I LOVE the LAND portion just fine and ALL the other "Out-West" States too ! People are people are people irregardless of where from, so I have NO Issues with any of "that" ! So, instead of staying at a "Holiday Inn Express" and "bragging" on that, I decided I would MOVE across country (remember I am originally from NYC/Long Island) first opportunity ! It took 17 years of Navy-Life up & down the East Coast, but I pressed my Detailer to send me to where I wanted for my Last tour -- I chose Washington State ! Best Decision I EVER made, hands down ! or shall I say thumbs up ! HEY WHERE ARE THE EMOJI's ? Just smiles ?
Plenty of Old Logging Roads HERE "dd" - come out for a visit lots of room on the living room floor, ha ha ! Take you to 'Dishman Hills' for a joy ride; just cause we can ! Just give fair warning . . . not much for "surprise visits" !

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well, there are only 1600 people in my entire township, so I don't have many people to deal with...but the land has been bought up by state gamelands and private people who just want to put up posted signs.

The state gamelands is a good thing as it gives plenty of places for outdoor activity, except on tires...and I thank lawyers and Sue happy trespassers for all the private land being posted.

Pennsylvania is a beautiful place, we get all 4 seasons, beautiful scenery wonderful rivers and lakes.

But, I do want to travel west and everyone says that will change your opinion.

I have 5 acres that I will always be able to play on...just like to hear about other places to go enjoy nature in my 4x4.

D

Deleted member103

Well, there are only 1600 people in my entire township, so I don't have many people to deal with...but the land has been bought up by state gamelands and private people who just want to put up posted signs.

The state gamelands is a good thing as it gives plenty of places for outdoor activity, except on tires...and I thank lawyers and Sue happy trespassers for all the private land being posted.

Pennsylvania is a beautiful place, we get all 4 seasons, beautiful scenery wonderful rivers and lakes.

But, I do want to travel west and everyone says that will change your opinion.

I have 5 acres that I will always be able to play on...just like to hear about other places to go enjoy nature in my 4x4.

D

Deleted member103

Oh, now it is clearer to me, thanks for that . Good that PA. still has its Rural side pretty much intact - yes Much of PA, especially the SE & S. Central "fly fishing" Wonderlands ! My favorite kind of "places" ! Nice to see the State is working FOR the People and trying to preserve what is left of the wilder places ! I really should try and make a trip to a few PA. fly fishing mecca's ! Perhaps next year when I have the DT ! ?
ps; Now I finally get it thru my thick skull -- about the "like" & the "You" thing ! Don't know why the need to do it that way but, oh well ! ?

Ram Guru
Reaction score
With all the new members, I thought I’d resurrect this thread. Here in Missouri we have the two tracks of the Ozark Mountains, great time gravel and dirt farm roads within driving distance of the two big cities. My favorite 4x4 trails are Posey Conservation Area in NW Mo and Peck Ranch in SE Mo.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
They opened our state gamelands for tours last weekend. They stopped doing it the last 2 years and they gave no advance notice.

It is about 8 mile drive out across the top of the Mountain. They have animal mounts set up and trees to identify. Also the foresters and wild life managers describe what they do.

We haven't geocache much this year, and really haven't spent much off road time. Although we did take a ride on allthe back township roads to see all the flood damaged areas.

Reactions: 356

KWRIBoom

Reaction score
Well, that depends... legal or illegal? Rausch Creek is, as you said, a day trip. But if it’s a quick/fun day, there’s always the the general pine barrens or Wharton State Forrest (shhh...)

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Enjoyed the annual Poosey Conservation area fall trail drive today. Nothing radical, but got to legitimately use the low range for something other than farm work. The drive is about 1 hour of slow paced service roads.

Really interesting to see the difference in foliage between the wet side and dry side of the mountain
8C78B837-AE7B-48D2-BF7E-E398BB4CB1CC.jpeg 2BC050BD-C1B9-4F09-9E58-86B5D7F125E6.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread