5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 ram 1500 towing

ultrascott

Reaction score
I want to buy a 7500 lb toyhauler to put my Harley in and travel.can my 2019 ram 1500 w/321 gearing tow it safely?

kittyjo

Reaction score
I want to buy a 7500 lb toyhauler to put my Harley in and travel.can my 2019 ram 1500 w/321 gearing tow it safely?
Got to look at your tounge weight and passenger weight + payload but u shud max tow is 8150#

Helmetface

Reaction score
Personally, I would go with 3.92's, especially if you driving over hills etc.

To be Frank, the 3.92's fit this truck so well. Really changes it completely, for towing and not.

ultrascott

Reaction score
Got to look at your tounge weight and passenger weight + payload but u shud max tow is 8150#
if the trailer is 7500 plus the Harley is almost 1000 plus accessories etc in the trailer i'd be well over the 8150.changing gearing isn't an option either.

R

Rob5589

There is a sticky in the towing section that gives all the specs for the different combos. The combined weight is 13.9k. With a 7500 lb trailer, Harley, gear, passengers, etc, it is hard to see how you wouldn't be over that.

W9MCP

Reaction score
Is 7500 the gross weight of the toyhauler or the dry weight? If it’s the gross weight including ‘toys’ then you’re likely to be fine depending on how you load it.

If you have the model/make of the hauler, we can help decode the numbers.

Sean

W9MCP

Reaction score
Really depends on the load and trailer!

If it’s something like a Jayco Octane 161, the factory dry weight (and yes, I know they are always low) is like 4500 pounds. That still leaves a lot of capacity for factory fudge and a Harley before the truck would run out of pull, and the toyhaulers aren’t always terrible to balance to get the tongue weight right for not running out of payload.

Sean

You will need a bigger truck...

raven_DT

Reaction score
The other concern is, with TT/TH the longer the trailer the more susceptible to side loading from passing vehicles. Especially semis on the highway...whiteknuckle time. Push/pull...Invest in a good WD hitch with antisway functionality included. But a larger, heavier truck with a longer wheelbase mitigates most of these issues. Cant fight physics. It not just about if your tow can pull the trailer.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Can you post your vehicle loading sticker? (On the inside of your drivers side door, there's a white, red and yellow sticker with the tire info on it and a line that says "the combined weight of all occupants and cargo may not exceed X,XXX Lbs)

Also, what is the year, make, and model of the trailer you're looking at. A "7,500" lb trailer can either be a super heavy trailer, or a light trailer with a GTWR of 7,500 lbs. We need to know the difference. And it's a big difference.

Need the same info for the Harley.

Also, toss your truck info in your sig, it's super helpful with things like this, because now instead of reading your sig to help you with the numbers, I have to ask you if your truck is a crew cab or quad cab, and if it's a 4x4 or 4x2. (Need those answers to run the numbers for ya). It's super handy, there's a thread around here somewhere that kind of unofficially-officially asks everyone to do it, but it's old now so I'm sure nobody sees it anymore.

runamuck

Reaction score
your 1500 ram with 3.21's will struggle to pull a trailer that heavy with the additional wt. of the bike and gear. mine with the 3.92's works plenty hard pulling my 6000# travel trailer and we pack as light as we can when towing. I wanted a toy hauler to camp in and carry my harley ultra but the little ones arent very comfy so if you get a nice one like your 7500# example and tie that 850# bike in the back it will be more load than I personally would want to tow unless the trips are short and there rae no mountains on the route. it can be done but I dont think it will be much fun.

ultrascott

Reaction score
my truck is a 2019 ram 1500 crew cab 5.7 4wd w/3.21 gears.the trailer i'm looking at is a keystone octane 324cg with a dry weight around 8k lbs. I don't understand the difference between my towing capacity and lets say the same truck with 3.92 gears that have like a 11k lb capacity.if I changed gearing to 3.92 and added air bags on the rear with a good hitch set up would that work? I don't really wanna get a bigger truck cause I love my 1500

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
We just answered this here...

And there are so many others.

Do you have experience towing?
Are you comfortable towing near capacity?
Do you have few grades over 7%?
Do you tow short distances?
Do you understand Weight Distribution Hitches?

If you can answer yes to all of these...the 3.21 will probably work fine.

If you answer no to any of these...should probably look for a smaller trailer.

Or if you want the answer everyone seems to seek...sure, that 1500 will tow anything you can hook to it.

Seriously though. If you want a 1500 and a big trailer...you have to make compromise for comfort, control, or bliss.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Bigger truck (2500) or smaller/lighter trailer. Be safe not sorry. Your truck will tow that Octane but you won’t be happy doing it. You’ll likely be over payload and GCWR.

Don’t look at trailer dry weight, it will always weigh more. Nobody goes camping with an empty truck and trailer. Look at the GVWR which is more real word (think loaded for travel).

ultrascott

Reaction score
We just answered this here...

And there are so many others.

Do you have experience towing?
Are you comfortable towing near capacity?
Do you have few grades over 7%?
Do you tow short distances?
Do you understand Weight Distribution Hitches?

If you can answer yes to all of these...the 3.21 will probably work fine.

If you answer no to any of these...should probably look for a smaller trailer.

Or if you want the answer everyone seems to seek...sure, that 1500 will tow anything you can hook to it.

Seriously though. If you want a 1500 and a big trailer...you have to make compromise for comfort, control, or bliss.
so what weight range of the triler would you stay with.my Harley is around 900 pounds plus I don't plan on hauling with the tanks full.i only need this to work for 2 years and I can trade my lease in and get a 2500.i know how to haul steep grades and use my engine and trans to do the work instead of braking.

Last edited:

runamuck

Reaction score
so what weight range of the triler would you stay with.my Harley is around 900 pounds plus I don't plan on hauling with the tanks full.i only need this to work for 2 years and I can trade my lease in and get a 2500.i know how to haul steep grades and use my engine and trans to do the work instead of braking.
I'd look for something in the 5000# area because after you stow the bike and some gear you will be up near 7000# when on the road. a lot depends on your towing style. I like to set cruise at 69-70 so as not to incur as much road rage from others, so the amount of work the motor does and my ability to shut down in a hurry if I need to is tolerable at that towing wt. if you can be happy at 60-65, and dont mind pushing that motor a little, you could go heavier. also I park my trailer on a conc. pad with a gate on the side yard where the street is only 30' wide so to get my 28' trailer and 20' truck combo in and out is sometimes a challenge so I would not go any longer than the 28' I have now. just my own situation, YMMV

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online