5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

YouTuber Fined $53,000 For Ram 1500 TRX Jump Over Creek!

redriderbob

Co-Editor & Ram Guru!
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

YouTuber Fined $53,000 For Ram 1500 TRX Jump Over Creek!​

Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission Charges StreetSpeed717 For Jump...​

1630174826738.png

Designed to outperform every other production half-ton pickup on the market, the 2021 Ram 1500 TRX has been the most talked-about pickup of 2021. But back in January, one YouTuber was able to be one of the first people to get his truck delivered and it wasn’t soon after that some crazy antics began.

Michael Hyssong, also known as StreetSpeed717, jumped his brand-new 2021 Ram 1500 TRX over a small creek, and damage ensued. The Ram 1500 TRX, proved that it could still run and drive as normal after the massive landing, despite damage to the front bumper, front shock reservoir mounts, a broken rear window, damaged tailgate, and broken front fenders.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep, guy's an entitled idiot. (Or, he makes his money from them.)

But, I gotta say, I can't help but think that's bureaucratic over-reach for that fine.

Snofire

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Drop in the bucket for him as he will make it up in no time in other videos.

BlueMoose

Reaction score
Yep, guy's an entitled idiot. (Or, he makes his money from them.)

But, I gotta say, I can't help but think that's bureaucratic over-reach for that fine.
It's not. It's incentive to not be a freaking idiot again, and keeping others from being freaking idiots trying to emulate that freaking idiot.

If you can't wheel responsibly, stay on the pavement.

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score
Thus the reason I don’t watch videos like that. Morons make money off the “idiots“ that watch and tell him how cool he is. Don’t waste my time or breath on them just to make them money. Same with most of those: OH watch my review that tells you nothing except only what YOU already know about it.

HandyCruiser

Reaction score
I cannot see how any "Fish and Boat Commission" can change somebody that much for crossing a body of water. I've been to resolution meetings on stuff like this. Often the attorney for the one being fined will simply tell the commission that he does not accept their offer. And often, the fine eventually gets drastically reduced or canceled all together. It's usually better to pay a lawyer rather than pay some state commission when they try that kind of crazy stuff. And if you can afford to play "Dukes of Hazard" with a new TRX, then you can likely afford the lawyer.

El_Draque

Reaction score
I cannot see how any "Fish and Boat Commission" can change somebody that much for crossing a body of water. I've been to resolution meetings on stuff like this. Often the attorney for the one being fined will simply tell the commission that he does not accept their offer. And often, the fine eventually gets drastically reduced or canceled all together. It's usually better to pay a lawyer rather than pay some state commission when they try that kind of crazy stuff. And if you can afford to play "Dukes of Hazard" with a new TRX, then you can likely afford the lawyer.
I agree, hes an idiot but the fine is ludicrious. he will probably settle the fine for like $5,000

AmericanRebelution

Reaction score
Thus the reason I don’t watch videos like that. Morons make money off the “idiots“ that watch and tell him how cool he is. Don’t waste my time or breath on them just to make them money. Same with most of those: OH watch my review that tells you nothing except only what YOU already know about it.
I'll admit that I'm one of the 1.2 million "idiots" that subscribe to his channel. His content entertains me. If you haven't watched any of his other videos, his content is not just destroying expensive vehicles. He has made content with many different interesting vehicles (a coupe Lambos, '63 Corvette, modified C7 Corvette, Viper, etc.) describing and showing mods, racing, and describing driving experience. He does pretty cool vehicle "give aways" which are actually raffles for buying merch and has a couple other businesses that are shown on his channel.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
And the F&B Commission probably doesn't expect to see any of that fine. The idea is to be a major inconvenience, and therefore deterrence, from doing that sort of thing again. Not just for that idiot but for all the other would be idiots out there. They won't see the reduced (or even dismissed) fine. They see that he was fined $53k and think "gee maybe I shouldn't try something like that."

That said. Assuming that just because he can afford the TRX means he can afford the lawyer is pure speculation. Maybe he spent beyond his means to buy that truck, and can't even really afford it, much less anything else. Or maybe he has all his money tied up into the truck and other daily expenses to where he's making ends meet, but doesn't have any extra now. Maybe he can afford the attorney and/or fine, but maybe not.

Speaking of insurance. I doubt they'll cover the cost of any of those repairs so he'll have to pay for that too. That's not accidental damage and I can't imagine they'd cover someone knowingly causing damage.

HandyCruiser

Reaction score
And the F&B Commission probably doesn't expect to see any of that fine. The idea is to be a major inconvenience, and therefore deterrence, from doing that sort of thing again. Not just for that idiot but for all the other would be idiots out there. They won't see the reduced (or even dismissed) fine. They see that he was fined $53k and think "gee maybe I shouldn't try something like that."

That said. Assuming that just because he can afford the TRX means he can afford the lawyer is pure speculation. Maybe he spent beyond his means to buy that truck, and can't even really afford it, much less anything else. Or maybe he has all his money tied up into the truck and other daily expenses to where he's making ends meet, but doesn't have any extra now. Maybe he can afford the attorney and/or fine, but maybe not.

Speaking of insurance. I doubt they'll cover the cost of any of those repairs so he'll have to pay for that too. That's not accidental damage and I can't imagine they'd cover someone knowingly causing damage.

The opposite is true as well. When I live, it is fairly easy to make enough trouble for a state commission that whoever pushed an insane fine like this won't be open to do it again. And that will help deter others at the state from trying it. Playing Dukes of Hazard with a TRX is fairly stupid unless the YouTube revenue covers it. In that case, it might be pretty smart if there is a profit. But for somebody at the state to make a national issue out this, that's definitely stupid and state resources were wasted that could have been spent on fishing and boating.

AmericanRebelution

Reaction score
If those are all his, maybe he can afford the fine. 😯

Although it will still serve as a deterrent to other people trying to do similar stuff.
Oh he can afford the fine no problem. He does VERY well with his channel and businesses. The TRX jump gained him a TON of followers and exposure. Well worth a $53k investment.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The opposite is true as well. When I live, it is fairly easy to make enough trouble for a state commission that whoever pushed an insane fine like this won't be open to do it again. And that will help deter others at the state from trying it. Playing Dukes of Hazard with a TRX is fairly stupid unless the YouTube revenue covers it. In that case, it might be pretty smart if there is a profit. But for somebody at the state to make a national issue out this, that's definitely stupid and state resources were wasted that could have been spent on fishing and boating.
I can't disagree that it's a smart financial move if his following generates enough revenue to cover the cost of the damage. I don't know how social media generates money, but I do understand that it does. I'm assuming by the number of views, likes, or something like that. So yes, it could be profitable. Still not a "smart" or safe thing to do, but financially a good move.

I would contest though, that the state didn't make it a national issue. The media did. The state simply filed a charge. The resources required to do that are minimal at best. One officer and a single piece of paper is all it takes to file the charge, and in some cases (depending on the court) the paper isn't even required since some are done digitally now.
I find it hard to say that resources were tied up or wasted since it probably took less than an hour to file, and insignificant materials. Any court time resulting from the charge would easily be recovered by the fine, even if it was greatly reduced.

Looking at the big picture, I think that by deterring others from doing this, they could potentially SAVE state resources. If the other people try to do a similar stunt and fail to make the jump, the resources will be spent rendering aid, and/or dealing with materials released into the waterway.
IDK, that's just my view on it, but I'm a rule follower. I drive the speed limit, I stay on trail while hiking, I wheel on permitted paths, I hunt in season with the appropriate licensing, and I try to leave places the same or better than I found them. Jumping a creek and smashing glass, plastic or other debris isn't very eco friendly. Much less the inevitable gouges, ruts or other damage he created when it landed. Heck it's clear from all the dirt in the attached image that he made a mess taking off too. That is definitely NOT treading lightly. Good financial move or not, it was stupid and careless. Focused only on his own personal gain, with no regard of his impact to the environment, or his followers who may harm themselves trying to emulate him. Self-centered.

Users who are viewing this thread