5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your liability when your vehicle is at the dealer

sd2134

Reaction score
Unfortunate series of events at a Michigan CDJR dealership. The liability discussed in the webpage article is something I was not aware of. Maybe the laws vary state to state?

"Why a Jeep owner is sued after dealership employee was killed during oil change."

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I get the family is angry, but this feels like a money grab by the lawyer. I hope that gets dropped and the Jeep owner files a suit against the attorney, law firm, and state.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The prosecuting attorney stated that this is the same as loaning your car to your neighbor and they have an accident. No it isn't. This guy didn't loan his car to the dealer. The dealership also won't allow customers in the service area due to insurance issues. When you take a vehicle in for service, you're turning over responsibility to the dealership. They have a garage policy insurance for just these reasons. The law in Michigan states that an employee can't sue another employee for negligence, but that's not what's happening here. The family of one employee is suing another employee and the employer for negligence. I think the prosecuting attorney is reaching here.

franc944

Reaction score
It has everything to do with NO FAULT vehicle insurance laws that are Michigan specific. That’s why their auto rates are so high. It does not matter who’s fault it is vehicle insurance is going to pay even if it’s “no fault” of their own.

MichaelR

Reaction score
No one actually read this did they??

The family sued the Jeep owner who in turn sued the Jeep dealership for indemnification which shifts the burden to the dealership and off of the owner. The dealership will seek appeals but it won’t win. The article is just sensationalizing it.

It’s just how you play the laws in Michigan, the Jeep owner isn’t being screwed.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This whole thing is so FU.

This, is particularly concerning:

Now that the dealership has been ordered to provide indemnity, the attorney for the dealership is representing the Jeep owner in the trial.

The dealership is going to appeal the indemnity ruling.

If the Michigan Court of Appeals rules that the original judge's decision on indemnity was incorrect, the Jeep owner would be responsible for the financial payout owed to the family if the judge rules in favor of the Hawkins family.

So the dealership's attorney, now also representing the jeep owner, is appealing the indemnity ruling. If overturned, it falls back on the jeep Owner.

What a monster CF.

franc944

Reaction score
No one actually read this did they??

The family sued the Jeep owner who in turn sued the Jeep dealership for indemnification which shifts the burden to the dealership and off of the owner. The dealership will seek appeals but it won’t win. The article is just sensationalizing it.

It’s just how you play the laws in Michigan, the Jeep owner isn’t being screwed.
I don’t believe there is any subrogation in a no fault state like Michigan.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This whole thing is so FU.

This, is particularly concerning:

So the dealership's attorney, now also representing the jeep owner, is appealing the indemnity ruling. If overturned, it falls back on the jeep Owner.

What a monster CF.
This sound like an episode of “Better Call Saul”

Derlant1983

Reaction score
Only see about 5 of Dave’s “They paid“ commercials a night.
Seems he is a you tube star at 42 followers.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What I can't understand is what kind of dipshit dealership hires a guy to work on cars that can't drive a stick AND has no driver's license? How is he supposed to test drive a vehicle that he works on?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
What I can't understand is what kind of dipshit dealership hires a guy to work on cars that can't drive a stick AND has no driver's license? How is he supposed to test drive a vehicle that he works on?

Lot Monkey.

Users who are viewing this thread