5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yes another Side Step question

JackWaggon

Reaction score
Well folks the wife is short and now she is real pregnant and I need to get some running boards. I'm not a big fan of them, but at this point the wife needs them. I found these by Iron Cross for a decent price. Has anyone had these steps or know of the company/quality? Thank y'all for your help. side step

ruderam2000

Reaction score
If she is short and pregnant, a full length bar might be safer for her when exiting the vehicle. She won’t have to wonder if her foot will land on the step or not. Just something to consider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flyfingers

Reaction score
I've had many trucks with all sorts of running boards / side steps / nerf bars / rock sliders etc... and for what it's worth nothing beats the AMP Research. Nice wide, level, full length platform for the Mrs and when they retract you won't even know they are there.

Ronkartz72

Reaction score
I agree with Flyfingers, the ones you are looking at are kind of small. Not sure your vertically challenged pregnant wife would be keen on making sure her foot placement is in the right spot. The power running boards come down so much further than those bolt on boards, so it gives you a better step to access the cab.

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If you prefer not to have the power steps I find the mopar off road style great .

Attachments

• E8E732EF-C71B-47E5-AFEA-A9F08A7A6E01.jpeg
    E8E732EF-C71B-47E5-AFEA-A9F08A7A6E01.jpeg
    129 KB · Views: 89
  • B2A5D337-C4DD-44BD-8B26-18094DC07AAF.jpeg
    B2A5D337-C4DD-44BD-8B26-18094DC07AAF.jpeg
    152.1 KB · Views: 90

JackWaggon

Reaction score
Thank you all for the responses. I may need to look into something wider as suggested. While to do like the retractable steps, they do tend to be on the expensive side. Thank again folks. I'm sure the wife will appreciate it.

Ronkartz72

Reaction score
My aging mom just had knee replacement surgery, so my step dad cut the brackets off of the factory steps and lengthened them like 2 inches or so. The regular steps sit so close to the door sill height that they really don't make a huge difference. I am in no way implying that they are all like that, but most that I notice are like that.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had my eye on some similar stirrup-style nerf bars (n-Fab) for a long time. When I finally got them I hated them. Small stepping area and my feet kept slipping when they were wet. My wife completely slipped off of them once and smashed her shin. Needless to say I was ordering something different the next day.

Yes, AMP is expensive but you get what you pay for. They come down lower and farther out than hard-mount side steps. There are other ones out there that may save you some coin. Also, if you go this route make sure you keep them lubed so they don't bind. The motors aren't very big so it doesn't take much to limit travel.

Depending on your budget there are a lot of options. A good place to do some window shopping is Runningboard Warehouse (https://runningboardwarehouse.com/).

I had Raptor ovals on my last truck and loved them. A little lower than the OEM height and the step pads had plenty of grip, even in the wet and the mud.

Scmil

Reaction score
+1 for AMP. My wife and our kids are all 5ft and under and the AMP has made climbing into the truck much easier. The OEM steps were still too high after the 6in lift. The boards do cost more than most, but the wide area to step on and the range it drops down to is great.

PhillyPhan

Reaction score
There's a benefit to having fixed running boards that don't retract. That's door dings. A car decides to park next to you and fling their door open, instead of it hitting your truck it nails the running board. Now of course if it's a truck parking next to you that doesn't work.

Scmil

Reaction score
There's a benefit to having fixed running boards that don't retract. That's door dings. A car decides to park next to you and fling their door open, instead of it hitting your truck it nails the running board. Now of course if it's a truck parking next to you that doesn't work.
That is true, but with the OEM and AMP (others maybe as well), you can set the board to stay down as well. When we park and its crowded, we leave the steps in the down position just for that reason alone lol

PhillyPhan

Reaction score
That is true, but with the OEM and AMP (others maybe as well), you can set the board to stay down as well. When we park and its crowded, we leave the steps in the down position just for that reason alone lol
Nice, I didn't know that was even an option.

Scmil

Reaction score
Nice, I didn't know that was even an option.
It was a great incentive for me to add since the truck was lifted and OEM steps were high up, when the amp step come down and stay in the down position, its a perfect fit for someones door since they drop a good distance.

Users who are viewing this thread