5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yep... Another Air Conditioning Post - with numbers and pics

AmericanRebelution

Reaction score
Happy Memorial Day All!

There are SO many AC posts out there and so many owners having issues. I wanted to post some temperature readings I collected today in the hopes that this may help someone who is having problems or is unhappy with performance. The AC performance of my truck is acceptable and comfortable to me - if yours is not, maybe this will help for comparison in some way.

I bought my truck in late Aug of 2019 so I really didn't have much time to test the AC here in western PA. Today we had a nice warm, humid day, so I decided to give the AC a test run and take some measurements.

Outside temp 81 degrees F
AC outside temp.jpg

In cab temp no AC 28C = 82.4F
AC off.jpg

Vent temp after 3min of AC running at second to highest fan speed not on "max AC"
12C = 53.6F
AC Vent temp 3 min.jpg

Vent temp after 3 minutes of AC running at second to highest fan speed not on "max AC" then increased to "max AC" for 2 min
10 C = 50 F
AC Max vent temp.jpg

In cab temp after AC running 12 minutes (not max AC for 2 minutes then increased to max AC for 10 min)
21 C = 69.8 F
AC Cab temp.jpg

yellowboy

Reaction score
Curios - how come you are measuring in celsius and not fahrenheit ? That would not be sufficient here in the south !

AmericanRebelution

Reaction score
Curios - how come you are measuring in celsius and not fahrenheit ? That would not be sufficient here in the south !

Just happened to be what kind of thermometer I had with a probe that I could put in the vent. This particular thermometer doesn't switch back and forth.

KcRay

Reaction score
Blowing 50 degrees with outside temp @81 degrees is adequate at best. Wife's 10 year old Subaru blew 44 this weekend outside temp was 78. I'm going to add a few ounces of of refrigerant to it, she is normally in the 38 range.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I believe most ac systems can drop outside temps by not more than 20 degrees or so. But that's enough to make someone feel comfortable. It's all relative to outside temp.

ldoh

Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time.

Looks like another example of marginal a/c performance. Add a hot climate with outside temps in the 90's to 100's and vent temps will easily push 60's to low 70's F.

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yup pretty normal temps for the 5th gen Rams. Add another 10 degrees outside ambient and a little humidity and your AC will blow mid to high 50’s at coldest. Realize this is at least 10 deg warmer AC than most vehicles made these days. F150’s will blow low 40’s and GM’s will blow high 30’s. Just for ****s and grins

AmericanRebelution

Reaction score
I find it curious that you'd go to all that trouble on an 81 degree day. Imagine what it is like for people where 81 degrees is a nice day in DECEMBER.
I'm from western PA, not south FL. Low 90s is about the highest temp we would get around here. That's fairly uncommon and not coming for a while. I had a day off, wanted to get some numbers for my own knowledge, and potentially help someone else compare. Wasn't too much trouble, took less than 15 min. Maybe I'll give it another shot if I get a chance on a day if we reach 90 degrees - or maybe when I head to the Outer Banks on vacation - looking forward to taking the Rebel out on the beach!

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Appreciate you taking the time to check and report. There’s no one temperature range that is good for everyone, just like the constant thermostat wars in people homes or offices. What works for me is too cool/warm for you.

I do agree that the RAM (for the reasons previously discussed) can be on the warm side especially for the driver and factoring in the huge windshield. For those that feel that way, a ceramic tint up front and the a/c hack are good choices. Should we have to do that for comfort? No, however that’s where its at and it doesn’t appear that all the posts complaining about it are moving the FCA/RAM tsb needle at all.

Thanks to the early adopters that caught it and came up with/published the hack. It’s a cheap and pretty foolproof way to fix it.

dv8er

Reaction score
I do agree that the RAM (for the reasons previously discussed) can be on the warm side especially for the driver and factoring in the huge windshield. For those that feel that way, a ceramic tint up front and the a/c hack are good choices. Should we have to do that for comfort? No, however that’s where its at and it doesn’t appear that all the posts complaining about it are moving the FCA/RAM tsb needle at all.

Thanks to the early adopters that caught it and came up with/published the hack. It’s a cheap and pretty foolproof way to fix it.

I did the ceramic tint all around including windshield and sunroof. It definitely helps, though I agree that it shouldn't be necessary in order to be comfortable (I'd probably do it regardless living in Las Vegas).

Can you link to the hack you mention? :)

SilverNight2020

Reaction score
I too need to know what this hack is. I looked through that very long thread started a couple years ago, but could not find it. Any help would be appreciated. Dealer seems to have no complaints on file. He said he is however more than happy to look into it if I can give him more specifics.

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I too need to know what this hack is. I looked through that very long thread started a couple years ago, but could not find it. Any help would be appreciated. Dealer seems to have no complaints on file. He said he is however more than happy to look into it if I can give him more specifics.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Happy Memorial Day All!

There are SO many AC posts out there and so many owners having issues. I wanted to post some temperature readings I collected today in the hopes that this may help someone who is having problems or is unhappy with performance. The AC performance of my truck is acceptable and comfortable to me - if yours is not, maybe this will help for comparison in some way.

I bought my truck in late Aug of 2019 so I really didn't have much time to test the AC here in western PA. Today we had a nice warm, humid day, so I decided to give the AC a test run and take some measurements.

Outside temp 81 degrees F
View attachment 57122

In cab temp no AC 28C = 82.4F
View attachment 57123

Vent temp after 3min of AC running at second to highest fan speed not on "max AC"
12C = 53.6F
View attachment 57124

Vent temp after 3 minutes of AC running at second to highest fan speed not on "max AC" then increased to "max AC" for 2 min
10 C = 50 F
View attachment 57125

In cab temp after AC running 12 minutes (not max AC for 2 minutes then increased to max AC for 10 min)
21 C = 69.8 F
View attachment 57128
It's not right. At 80 degrees F the outlet temperature should be close to 45 degrees. In the calculation you also need to know the relative humidity in order to determine the correct outlet temp. But I would say it's not working correctly.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 033077 miles.

Users who are viewing this thread