5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yellowstone Trip towing Experience in Detail

Gary1243

Reaction score
Well I finally took my 2021 Ram 1500 Laramie with my Sundance 25 ft travel trailer on a 2,150 mile journey from Salem, OR to Yellowstone to Salt Lake City, UT and back this past couple of weeks and for those who care about such matters here are the gory details.

First off for the first 8 days I averaged exactly 10.0 mpg. I have the etorque 5.7 and a 3.92 axle and was in tow haul mode all the way. I was satisfied with that result. Pretty much 65mph throughout when I could and posted speed limits the rest of the time. On the 9th day on the return westbound from Baker City, Or through the Columbia River George with absolutely hellish head and crosswinds I averaged 7.0 mpg.

I was fully loaded for me with the truck at about 3500 lb front axle and 3500 lb axle and the trailer was about 5700lb to 6000lbs depending on tank capacities. I was within all weight specs for this vehicle.

I found the tow haul mode to operate extremely efficiently and liked it very much. The engine handled any hill I went up and I had no trouble and could go pretty much as fast as I wanted. Which for me is usually posted speed limits accept I don't drive it faster than 65mph.

I have owned a 3/4 ton in the past and found the 1500 to be a bit less stable and at times uncomfortably so. My tongue weight was ab out 750 lbs. All tires were at maximum cold psi. They are the Goodyear Fortitude original equipment (Not my favorite but okay). The engine was fantastic with the exception that it kind of dogged against the 40 mph headwinds and pretty much sat in 6th gear (sometimes 5th).

My equalizer 4 WD hitch worked reasonably well, however I did have some trailer sway in those headwinds and crosswinds, which is expected. It is quite noisy on turns and backing up. Screeches alot.

While the 1500 does well most of the time it is no 3/4 ton ride. For the couple weeks I am pulling the trailer I do wish I had a 2500. The the other 48 weeks a year I way prefer the 1500.

On tow mode most of the time it is in 7th gear when cruising and hovers just a hair over 2000rpm.

Blind spot with the trailer is wonderful. The tow mirrors are wonderful.

It was a great trip other than the last day and the camping experience in Yellowstone at Grant Village Campground with our 25 ft trailer was great. Our pickup and trailer were able to occupy one space.

That's it. Any questions just fire away and I will answer the best I can.

Attachments

• 20220710-GGM_4746.jpg
    20220710-GGM_4746.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 66

NRitland2

Reaction score
Great Setup! I had exact same experience going from MA to PA. You said it right you wish for a 3/4 ton truck for towing at points but love the 1/2 for all other times. Towed 1300 miles of the 3700 on the truck so far this season

Gary1243

Reaction score
I thought of two more issues that might be of interest to some readers.

The first is octane ratings. Normally I use 87 octane , 10% ethanol fuel from Costco per consumer reports studies. On this trip I varied it. From non ethanol 91 to 89, and 89 to 87 at 10%. Although it is only an anecdotal experience I could detect no mpg or performance issues.

The second is voltage. With the etorque system it ranged from 14.1 to as low as 12.6. 14.1 was usually early in the drive and 12.6 was late in the drive each day. It is somewhat bothersome or worrisome that when you are pulling a trailer that the volt meter drops from 13.4 to 12.6 in the late afternoons miles from nowhere. Although the mechanic says Such is the nature of etorque it does not inspire confidence at times.

blakei

Reaction score
Hey Gary1243, great write-up! I could've written your post, basically an identical experience with my Jayco 28BHS which is a bit heavier. You summed it up with "While the 1500 does well most of the time it is no 3/4 ton ride. For the couple weeks I am pulling the trailer I do wish I had a 2500. The the other 48 weeks a year I way prefer the 1500."!!!

I also experience the same voltage drop on long towing days, and I'm not etorque. I think it may just have to do with running trailer lights, reverse camera, charging trailer batteries, headlights on, etc. etc. I actually upgraded from the 160 amp stock alternator to the 220 amp thinking that would help, but I still get voltage drop over a long towing day. I have noticed it is worse on hot days, and alternator efficiency drops in the heat so that might be part of it. However, there never seems to be a battery issue and the truck always bounces back.

Gary1243

Reaction score
Hey Gary1243, great write-up! I could've written your post, basically an identical experience with my Jayco 28BHS which is a bit heavier. You summed it up with "While the 1500 does well most of the time it is no 3/4 ton ride. For the couple weeks I am pulling the trailer I do wish I had a 2500. The the other 48 weeks a year I way prefer the 1500."!!!

I also experience the same voltage drop on long towing days, and I'm not etorque. I think it may just have to do with running trailer lights, reverse camera, charging trailer batteries, headlights on, etc. etc. I actually upgraded from the 160 amp stock alternator to the 220 amp thinking that would help, but I still get voltage drop over a long towing day. I have noticed it is worse on hot days, and alternator efficiency drops in the heat so that might be part of it. However, there never seems to be a battery issue and the truck always bounces back.
Thanks for the voltage info feedback. Exact same on my end. Gives me a bit more confidence. I was also wondering in hindsight about the non etorque and the 220 amp alternator. You took care of that thought as well. Thanks again, Gary

Users who are viewing this thread