5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

XM Guardian Only Way to Get App Remote Start? Overpriced...

Reaction score
Help me if I am wrong please! My one year trials of everything expired including XM Guardian. It appears the only way to get remote start via the app is by paying the $149 annually or $14.99 monthly??

On our GMC we got 5 year access to the apps remote start. Uconnect access is CRAZY expensive in my opinion if this is correct... Anyone know of a cheaper way to get it, that's all I want. I mean you can get XM Radio for $5 a month

Maconi

Reaction score
The remote start app is free for GMC isn't it? They have way more info available in their app as well (info that the 12" Uconnect lacks and the 8" Uconnect has some of).

DakotaRam

Reaction score
GMC was free for 10 years ownership, now their charging $15.00/month as of the last couple years.

50Front

Reaction score
I never got my to work. The app can find the truck on the map but that was it. So obviously i didn't renew. I had a 15 Sierra, the app worked great, very fast and was free for 5 years.

Tones1975

Reaction score
Help me if I am wrong please! My one year trials of everything expired including XM Guardian. It appears the only way to get remote start via the app is by paying the $149 annually or $14.99 monthly??

On our GMC we got 5 year access to the apps remote start. Uconnect access is CRAZY expensive in my opinion if this is correct... Anyone know of a cheaper way to get it, that's all I want. I mean you can get XM Radio for $5 a month
My uconnect app is sooo unreliable that I wouldn't even think about paying ANY monthly fee for it. I like the idea of the app based remote start and unlocking the doors but I've had 50% failure rate on any commands sent from the app.

derp

Reaction score
I've been working on rebuilding the remote start features using a raspi and the onboard cellular for a bit now. more news to come.

derp

Reaction score
That sounds interesting. How would that work?
always on raspberry pi attached to the CAN bus.

the raspi does the things I want and every interval of X will wake up the onboard cellular to check a page on a private web server. if the value on the private web server is set to on, do a remote start diag procedure on the CAN bus just like you would otherwise with your fob.

The original core concept is to pull telemetry off the CAN while the truck is about and upload it to the private server along with DVR footage of the cameras. Once you are on the CAN bus though you can start doing all kinds of diagnostic procedures in the same way the TASER DT does. I'm still a fair bit away from this but the actual programming part is pretty cut and dry. the hard stuff has been getting a CAN adapter for the pi that I really like so I can skip using a bluetooth OBD adapter. I also have to be very mindful of the truck battery and not add a large parasitic loss or damage the truck's electrical system. For isolation I have been using a USBC 30ah battery pack to power the pi that charges when I run the truck. the problem here is that the charge rate on my short driving commute is not enough to match the discharge rate of my long drives. This starts to ripple out into other ideas like a full secondary battery for the truck which has a great ratio of charge/discharge, but also is a very big expense to the project. For my use it will be worth it, but it isn't very commercially viable.

Users who are viewing this thread