5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wrangler DuraTrac is the worst tire I've ever driven on in rain

spyder

Reaction score
I've had them on my work trucks for several years and hate them. They slip and slide, I've blown out sidewalls, and they don't last at all...but it's what they buy for the work trucks so I'm stuck with them.

When the Duras on my personal truck wear out, I'll never put another set on it again.

vandersnoot

Reaction score
That’s the opposite experience I’ve had. The stockers on my ‘12 2500 and ‘06 1500 were the absolute worst. I was happy with the Duratracs before I swapped them out.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Totally agree, the DTs that came with my truck would spin in the rain at the slightest touch of throttle. I have the 3.0, so more torque, but still.

Replaced with Bridgestone A/T 3's and night and day difference. Smooth like butter and they grip. Very littel road noise. A good compromise for offroad and street manners. They are not 3mpsf, but I have a set of dedicated Blizzaks for Upper Peninsula driving.

I likewise am now running the Bridgestone Revo3’s after the DTs and they are like you said night and day better. So smooth and quiet, and much more confidence in the wet. Colorado snows so far are much better handled despite no 3pmsf. I’m sure they give up that last 5% of capability off-road to the DTs, but that doesn’t matter to me.

ww874

Reaction score
So I'm in the boat as several guys here. Have 2019 Rebel with 44k. Up until about 40k I loved those tires and couldn't say a bad thing about them. But after 40k I noticed a dramatic decline in wet road handling and a substantial increase in cabin noise. I always rotated them regularly and they still appear to have decent tread life left but due to the poor performance on wet roads they have to be replaced. I guess 40k on an all terrain isn't terrible but based on the fact they still have decent tread left I'm a bit disappointed. Leaning towards getting the BF Goddrich ko2's next. What do you all think?

Last edited:

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
So I'm in the boat as several guys here. Have 2019 Rebel with 44k. Up until about 40k I loved those tires and couldn't say a bad thing about them. But after 40k I noticed a dramatic decline in wet road handling and a substantial increase in cabin noise. I always rotated them regularly and they still appear to have decent tread life left but due to the poor performance on wet roads they have to be replaced. I guess 40k on an all terrain isn't terrible but based on the fact they still have decent read left I'm a bit disappointed. Leaning towards getting the BF Goddrich ko2's next. What do you all think?
I had KO2’s on my last truck and they were great the first 10,000 miles but after that they sucked in rain and snow and were junk at 40,000 miles.

My next set was Cooper Discoverer AT3’s and they had just as good of traction at 50,000 miles when I sold my truck as they did when new. Great tire.

Snekpete

Reaction score
I had good results with General Grabber ATX on my old Ford, but I didn't put a lot of miles on them before I sold the truck.

Jmevox

Reaction score
I just bought a used 2019 rebel 3 weeks ago with 29k miles. These duratracs are so terrible in the rain im going to have to swap them out when I get my first oil change. Ill slide tapping the gas doing 3mph. I’m thinking michelin defender ltxs

ww874

Reaction score
I really like Michelin tires but don't think they'd look as good on my Rebel. They just don't have that aggressive look to go with the truck in my mind, but I'm sure they'd drive better and last longer. As much as I didn't want to do it (because I don't like Goodyear as a brand) I went with another set. Like I said the truck drove great up until around 35k before the tires got a bit noisy and didn't start sliding in the rain until over 40k. I think I did a pretty good job of rotating my old tires but wasn't perfect. Every now and then I'd go past by a few thousand before I got around to doing it. I'm hoping since this set comes with lifetime rotation (so I don't have to do it myself) I'll stick to a better rotation schedule and maybe I'll make it to 50k which is all I expect out of a ATV tire. Something I learned from doing research about tires is it seems all the brands usually get great reviews when new but after 30k or so is when issues start arising. I was on the fence with choosing the KO2's but in the end I really liked the performance of the original tires on my truck for the majority time they were on and the Goodyear's wound up being $160 less than the KO2's for the set.

Jmevox

Reaction score
That’s my fear also. I havent been able to find any pics of a rebel with defenders or even continental terraincontacts. I just want something that won’t constantly slide in the rain

Louhound88

Reaction score
I have Yokohama Geolandar MT"s and they're probably one of the better tires I've had in the rain. Compared to other AT's or MT's that is. I've had Toyo RT's that felt like skis in the rain. And previously had ridge grapplers that were good in the rain but still seemed to get squirrely at times. And in mud or soft dirt the ridge grapplers seemed to fill up quickly and lost traction. The Yokohama's tend to throw mud and dirt off themselves well and in rain they keep me planted to the road.

2wd i'm spinning in rain, but put it in 4hi and I can go wide open from a stop in the rain and not completely spin out or crabwalk.

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Tires are a regional issue. The compounds, and siping are going to function differently in different environments. You Midwesterners, and Easterners probably should not go by what we Southwesterners use because your needs are completely different than ours and likewise. You lot have humidity, rain, slush, and sleat. We don't know what that is. Suffice it to say that everyone should take ques from people in their own regions and not from peeps of others. It's not a good recipe. I've worn out two sets of Duratracs. That said, they work very well out here. It's just that for my needs, 33's are just too small. I'm on my 5th set of Ridge Grapplers. They are excellent for on and off road out here. I can totally see why they're lacking for eastern use.

WhippleRTClassic

Reaction score
Ive got good year ultra terrain A/T on my sierra, similar to the DT but a different tread pattern. Discount tire exclusive which was fine with me and theyre cheaper than DT. 3pmsf rated too. Ill likely get them again when i ditch my sierra for a ram. Id like to say theyre amazing in the snow but my truck refuses to drive in the snow, goes into limp mode every time

bvigne01

Reaction score
You never had a 3rd gen with the HT tires. They sucked and with no traction control on the 3rd gen in the rain with the 5.7 it was spin city. Supper dangerous back in the day driving in rain

bvigne01

Reaction score
I have the same Goodyears ultra terrain on my 5th gen and have been happy with them. I’m running 275/60/20

Jmevox

Reaction score
im wondering if mine are just worn down. I’ll probably go continental terrain contact. Still an all terrain but less aggressive and has pretty good ratings for wet weather

cnyram

Reaction score
I'm not doubting you but they must have used different compounds or series of tires on that year. Mine were getting really squirrely at like 35k. 40k they were done.

Mine have been fine other than a LOT of rotational noise, almost like a wheel bearing, which has gotten worse as the tire aged. Never been great in the rain but was passable. Noticed over the past month that wet traction has degraded to the point it's dangerous to drive. Any throttle makes the rears spin and it breaks loose on low speed curves. They have 34k on them now and one is at 6/32. The centers appear more worn than the edges which is weird because if anything I go under psi for a softer ride. Ordered Falken Wild Peaks AT3's. Hopefully they cure the noise issue as well.

Mattiusmaximus1216

Reaction score
So it was 82 degrees this weekend in so cal. Obviously tire pressure was high and I noticed it with the new 35s. I honestly think a lot of the complaints about these tires have to do with PSI. Remember these are hybrid mud tires not A/T. Tire pressure will make a day and night difference. Still my top two tire. First being wildpeaks but once again in their own category of tires

Attachments

• 2D86DDA8-2BE5-401B-B5D3-4CBF3EAD359F.jpeg
    2D86DDA8-2BE5-401B-B5D3-4CBF3EAD359F.jpeg
    186.3 KB · Views: 30

Snekpete

Reaction score
So it was 82 degrees this weekend in so cal. Obviously tire pressure was high and I noticed it with the new 35s. I honestly think a lot of the complaints about these tires have to do with PSI. Remember these are hybrid mud tires not A/T. Tire pressure will make a day and night difference. Still my top two tire. First being wildpeaks but once again in their own category of tires
Agreed, I lowered the pressure on my Wranglers to 45/35 and the difference is indeed night and day. 45 is still probably too high but I haven't noticed any traction issues on the front or rear since lowering the pressures, and we haven't been above 32 degrees since last Friday.

Users who are viewing this thread