5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

wow some hate our trucks

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score

"Steer Clear Of The RAM 1500
Just as much as you'd want to avoid the RAM 3500, you may also want to steer clear of its predecessor, the RAM 1500. This is especially true for used vehicles, if that's what you were looking to buy.
Owners of this unfortunate truck have experienced transmission failures, oil sludge build up, and engine failures. The mechanics of this truck aren't the only area it has failed. People have also experienced cracked dashboards in their RAM 1500's! To make things even worse, this truck comes with a variety of electronic issues."

hahahahahahahahahahaha

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Just as much as you'd want to avoid the RAM 3500, you may also want to steer clear of its predecessor, the RAM 1500. This is especially true for used vehicles, if that's what you were looking to buy.
Owners of this unfortunate truck have experienced transmission failures, oil sludge build up, and engine failures. The mechanics of this truck aren't the only area it has failed. People have also experienced cracked dashboards in their RAM 1500's! To make things even worse, this truck comes with a variety of electronic issues."

hahahahahahahahahahaha
The older Rams definitely had those issues. Sounds like they are describing the 2nd and 3rd gen trucks.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I had a cracked dash... in my 2001 Ram. Transmission failures? Maybe in the '80's.

It's an MSN story so consider the source. He's probably as much of a hack as the rest of the reporters that work there.
Transmission issues were through the 2004 model year before they got rid of the 46re. Engine sludge issue was a 4.7l problem.

Loudram

Reaction score
Transmission issues were through the 2004 model year before they got rid of the 46re. Engine sludge issue was a 4.7l problem.
I had over 200k on my '01. It had issues but the engine (360) and the tranny were not among them. Cracked dash, plenum gasket, wheel well and door rust, and wheel hub bearings were the major issues. Overall it was a good truck.

The bottom line is this joker is smoking crack and living in the past.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I had over 200k on my '01. It had issues but the engine (360) and the tranny were not among them. Cracked dash, plenum gasket, wheel well and door rust, and wheel hub bearings were the major issues. Overall it was a good truck.

The bottom line is this joker is smoking crack and living in the past.
46re was well known for failures. Bad oiling to OD unit. A snap ring would break and clutches would break. Sending metal into rest of transmission. Also TPS sensors would get a bad spot in them causing the torque converter to constantly lock and unlock while driving increasing heat in trans.

Geddyflea

Reaction score
I had a 04 SLT 2wd with the 4.7l and absolutely LOVED that truck. I bought it new and kept it until 2017. It had over 200k when I traded it and the only major thing I did was replace the front wheel bearings. It threw an EVAP code right before I traded it and Im pretty sure it was just a cracked hose. No broken dash and no transmission or engine problems ever. It had the original battery until 2013!! I have to say it did love brakes and tail lights though. I know I had one of the few "unicorns" but it was the best vehicle I've ever owned.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I had a few guys tell me that Dodge trucks are junk. I tell them “it’s a darn good thing I bought a RAM then”. That’s usually met with a blank stare.😆

Quality GREATLY improved when RAM went to a separate division with the 2010 model year. That’s why I got drawn back to them in 2013.

Last edited:

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score

hahahahahahahahahahaha
if it's in the news, it got to be true!!! ahahahaha (for those who didnt get it, its sarcastic ;) )

Loudram

Reaction score
I had a few guys tell me that Dodge trucks are junk. I tell them “it’s a darn good thing I bought a RAM then”. That’s usually met with a blank stare.😆

Quality GREATLY improved when RAM went to a separate division with the 2012 model year. That’s why I got drawn back to them in 2013.
I was giving a Ford guy at work a hard time, just fun ribbing, and he said "let me guess, you drive a Dodge." I said no, my wife drives a Dodge, I drive a Ram. At that time my wife had a Journey. I think it went over his head for a second as well.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 2000 Dakota R/T. 5.9l Magnum and 46re trans. Screenshot_20211208-082852~2.png

Ram1500OwnerMaybe

Reaction score
In various threads on various boards, the argument against the RAM trucks tends to use data from the Dodge era.
Since many people nowadays are lazy, they tend to compile whatever articles or notes they find to avoid actual work research themselves into the matter.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Yep. I had a transmission failure in my old dodge. Since I snapped the shift lever off in an unfortunate incident, I shifted it by grabbing the collar on the column and counting clicks. It was not a very smooth operation. I slipped it into reverse at about 45 mph one day getting it out of 2nd and the darn thing would not act right afterwards. Imagine that! Weak junk! 😆

Last edited:

dstevens

Reaction score
Yep. I had a transmission failure in my old dodge. Since I snapped the shift lever off in an unfortunate incident, I shifted it by grabbing the collar on the column and counting clicks. It was not a very smooth operation. I slipped it into reverse at about 45 mph one day getting it out of 2nd and the darn thing would not act right afterwards. Imagine that! Weak junk!
I had a 72 Challenger (318, auto, headers...) many years ago. A friend took it to pick up lunch or something one day.

He wanted to show off a bit and attempted to slip it into neutral and give the engine a little rev.

Instead he slipped into reverse. When he hit the gas, the rear tires lit up. The error startled him and he quickly pulled it back into drive... forgetting to back off the gas. The rear tires once again lit up, but at least it was moving forward now.

I drove it for some years after that with no issues. I am surprised that the transmission, rear end drive shaft or something didn't suffer a catastrophic failure.

Some of that old iron, I guess, was tough.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

HemiDude

Reaction score
I had a cracked dash... in my 2001 Ram. Transmission failures? Maybe in the '80's.

It's an MSN story so consider the source. He's probably as much of a hack as the rest of the reporters that work there.
Yeah, when I tried to do a quick web search of the guy - even when I cut and pasted his name - my browser kept changing the spelling of his name. Even the interweb doesn't respect him :ROFLMAO:

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep. I had a transmission failure in my old dodge. Since I snapped the shift lever off in an unfortunate incident, I shifted it by grabbing the collar on the column and counting clicks. It was not a very smooth operation. I slipped it into reverse at about 45 mph one day getting it out of 2nd and the darn thing would not act right afterwards. Imagine that! Weak junk! 😆
Start off in "L" for low, hit "D" for drive at about 45, then "R" for race at about 90 and the darn thing blows up every time. 🤪

Users who are viewing this thread