5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Would you let your dealership wash/detail your truck from the factory?

VinnyRam

Reaction score
Waiting for delivery on my truck and I'm already thinking about asking my dealer not to detail the exterior of the truck. Maybe I'll let them detail the interior only. What did you guys do?

Dietz5285

Reaction score
Why not let them detail it for you ? These guys should be pros .

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Why not let them detail it for you ? These guys should be pros .

Yeah.... not so much. They don't call it DISO (Dealer Installed Swirl Option) for nothing in the detailing community.

I would ask how do they wash/detail the exterior... decide from there.

Lonestar21

Reaction score
Last 2 cars I purchased this year (Ram,Durango) I have asked the dealership not to “detail”, prep. The vehicle. Both times 2 different dealership have been confused with my request lol. I simply tell them I would like to remove all the plastic from the inside, and detail from the outside myself. Both dealership I purchased from are high volume Dealers so unfortunately the detailing process it’s not high quality and it would bug me if it had any swirls/scratches.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I ordered my 2016 F150 and the 2019 Ram - asked that no prep be done, leave it as is and I'll take care of it.

I found my F150 way in the back lot (it had been delivered overnight) and was able to take it for a test drive before the PDI was completed. They did as I asked, just filled it up with fuel and I was on my way.

The Ram I drove by as it was pulling in on the carrier and got to watch it being offloaded. It was delivered to me with all the plastic still on the seats, etc. My 5 year old enjoyed taking the plastic off the interior and I was thrilled to have no swirls in my paint!

U

User_3336

two words (H*LL NO). I never let any dealer detail my truck, period. You can take the stickers off, get rid of all the writing on the windshield, vacuum the dirt off the carpet, that's about it.

I'll take it dirty right off the lot otherwise. I don't want anyone putting any scratches or swirl marks on my new truck using dirty/used shop rags. (they did this on my 18 Titan and I was p*ssed).

I'll take it immediately to the car wash, and hand wash it myself with the two bucket method.
when I get it back home, I'll spray some detail wax on it, and its good until I can get some quality wax on it (maybe even claybar it first if there's lot of surface grit).

No one washes my truck except me.

Autoplay

Reaction score
two words (H*LL NO). I never let any dealer detail my truck, period. You can take the stickers off, get rid of all the writing on the windshield, vacuum the dirt off the carpet, that's about it.

I'll take it dirty right off the lot otherwise. I don't want anyone putting any scratches or swirl marks on my new truck using dirty/used shop rags. (they did this on my 18 Titan and I was p*ssed).

I'll take it immediately to the car wash, and hand wash it myself with the two bucket method.
when I get it back home, I'll spray some detail wax on it, and its good until I can get some quality wax on it (maybe even claybar it first if there's lot of surface grit).

No one washes my truck except me.
Ditto what Greg stated!! With every new vehicle I’ve purchased over the years,I also clay bar it within a week of purchase. Removing the rail dust,along with a good coat of wax,will tell I immediately,if I have issues with paint,chrome,glass etc. Much easier to document and present to dealer,immediately after purchase,verses later in it’s life,and try to convince dealer it was always there lol.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
All my vehicles have been delivered by the respected dealers clean. My only problem was years ago on a Chevy, but because of that they had to fix it. If a dealer doesn't complete the delivery service and there is damage of some sort, how do you prove it wasn't you who damaged it?

By the way, I'm not sure any of my recent vehicles were "detailed" by the delivery dealer. Washed and vacuumed, yes, but beyond that? In my mind detailing includes machine polishing the exterior paint, etc. My FCA dealer has not done that to any of my vehicles.

Regards,
Dusty

2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Now at: 005468 miles.

John813

Reaction score
Nope.

When I bought the truck, officially, it was after closing.

Told me I could bring it in later to have it cleaned. Never went back for that

U

User_3336

I normally clay bar a couple of days after I get it pending free time available. you will just not believe that surface crap that the clay removes although you might not see it.

even after claying, you can feel that smoooooooooth finish on a nice new clearcoat.

Put two coats of liquid wax right after claying, and i'm set. Smooth as can be surface, and relentless beading of rain. I find its much easier to clean up later, and normally just use a spray detailer if its getting a bit dirty.

ALWAYS use good microfiber towels. If I drop them on the floor (just like claybar), and can have the tiniest bit of some crap off the floor, i'll just use the towels for something else.

Keeping a new clearcoat in pristine condition is easy and affordable. I love Meguairs spray detailer.

Ditto what Greg stated!! With every new vehicle I’ve purchased over the years,I also clay bar it within a week of purchase. Removing the rail dust,along with a good coat of wax,will tell I immediately,if I have issues with paint,chrome,glass etc. Much easier to document and present to dealer,immediately after purchase,verses later in it’s life,and try to convince dealer it was always there lol.

LaRamie

Reaction score
Yes to the meguiars! And dont let them do it, we had a nasty scratch pop up clear across the nose of the hood about a month after purchase (truck that was already on lot) not sure if they just packed the wax to it or what cause I remembered seeing a streak there that wiped off when we got it home. After washing last week that scratch appeared. Had to buff it out but it's good now

somebody

Reaction score
My wife's present and former vehicles are black Chargers. They both looked great when she took delivery. My Delmonico red also looked great when I picked it up. I will never turn down a free detail job.

MSchnLoneStar19

Reaction score
I want the vehicle unwrapped, vacuumed, and washed by the dealership and use those action to serve as part of their initial inspection and service.

I’ll take ownership after my check list is confirmed and signed off on by them for the truck.

If there are issues, I want them to take ownership of them at the dealership before I sign.

Detailing, Clay Bar, and Polish I will always do myself once the truck is in my drive.

Users who are viewing this thread