5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Would not shift out of 1+

U

User_34235

Snowing here today so I already had the transmission/transfer case in 4WD Auto from last night. Drove about 4 miles to a shop with no issues. Went inside (truck off) for about 20 minutes and came back out and got onto the road to head home. Heard the engine revving pretty high and looked down at the shift indicator and it said it was in 1+. Hoping it would shift I got it up a few RPM's but no shifting, so I put it in neutral for about 3 seconds then back into drive. Once in Drive it then showed the gear in 4th and things worked just fine. Did I do anything to cause it to go into 1+ and not shift out of it or is a gremlin acting up in my truck?
Thoughts?

MurphBigHorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m wondering if you hit the gear selector on bottom right of steering wheel. I do not know if you know this. But once you select the - . It locks the truck into 1st gear if your in first gear. Then you hit + in increase the gear the truck will shift to. So let’s say you set it to 4th. The truck will not shift higher then 4th gear.

U

User_34235

That makes sense. I font "remember" hitting it but that is a possibility. Never thought about that. Thanks Murph

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Snowing here today so I already had the transmission/transfer case in 4WD Auto from last night. Drove about 4 miles to a shop with no issues. Went inside (truck off) for about 20 minutes and came back out and got onto the road to head home. Heard the engine revving pretty high and looked down at the shift indicator and it said it was in 1+. Hoping it would shift I got it up a few RPM's but no shifting, so I put it in neutral for about 3 seconds then back into drive. Once in Drive it then showed the gear in 4th and things worked just fine. Did I do anything to cause it to go into 1+ and not shift out of it or is a gremlin acting up in my truck?
Thoughts?
I had issues not coming out of 1st. It was the battery, replaced no problem since. Best wishes and good luck. Battery was 2 years old.

U

User_34235

Thanks Jako. This is a first and the truck started up fine. Cold here but not THAT cold. 20ish. The truck started fine but I will keep this in the back of my mind thats for sure.

Jako

Reaction score
Thanks Jako. This is a first and the truck started up fine. Cold here but not THAT cold. 20ish. The truck started fine but I will keep this in the back of my mind thats for sure.
I drove 2 miles in 1st, vehicle sat a few hours and it worked fine. Than a week or so later had issues again with the tac and speedo going while the vehicle was off. Battery was covered under warranty.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
I’m wondering if you hit the gear selector on bottom right of steering wheel. I do not know if you know this. But once you select the - . It locks the truck into 1st gear if your in first gear. Then you hit + in increase the gear the truck will shift to. So let’s say you set it to 4th. The truck will not shift higher then 4th gear.
Yep, when shifting to neutral and back to drive, it resets to the normal default. Must have just bumped the button.

Users who are viewing this thread