5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Would not having the advance safety group stop you ordering?

stevestrike

Reaction score
but that is the thing of this topic. On the 2022 model of the Laramie the Level 2 eq group would not be available because of the chip shortage...or is it only the Advanced Safety Group?
OP didn't say whether or not they ordered the truck with Level 2 group--only that it was built without the ASG that was ordered

Redfour5

Reaction score
At 58 I'm kind of an old man, but I like some of these new fangled do dads. It's obviously not a matter of need for anyone, but for me it's a matter of liking cool new things. I don't use all of the features in the ASG, but the ACC is one of my favorite things on this truck.
I'm 66 and start out with the attitude I don't need all these new fangled do dads...and then after having them I can't' live without them... And miss a few I don't have... This phoenomena started with the sunglasses holder in the ceiling and then the heated seats in a Subaru. Then the power seats, then the heated steering wheel, then the touch screen infotainment systems and then the screen that lists all the engine oil tranny temps, AND NOW, front sensors so I can figure out where the darn front end on my truck is. I knew on my 2015. The wife has them on the Cherokee and I pshawed them until pulling into the garage... I was happy I didn't get them on the new truck.... NOW, I want them. It just never stops...

m11rphy

Reaction score
OP didn't say whether or not they ordered the truck with Level 2 group--only that it was built without the ASG that was ordered
I did order level 2 group, I believe its been renamed to group B as they removed the blind spot monitoring, just an FYI for you all I didn't take delivery of the truck

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did order level 2 group, I believe its been renamed to group B as they removed the blind spot monitoring, just an FYI for you all I didn't take delivery of the truck
Are you ordering a higher trim that has blind spot monitoring?

HandyCruiser

Reaction score

I was told that originally, Group B would have the Blind Spot Monitoring, but FCA ran out. So it was removed from the package. When we were looking for a truck to buy earlier this month, most Rams we found with Blind Spot monitoring were Level 1 and Level 2 trucks built pre-shortage. The 2021 Laramie we bought was built in September 2021 and had a Level 1 Laramie package. I suspect that it will be luck-of-the draw getting Blind Spot Monitoring on an ordered Ram right now.

m11rphy

Reaction score
Are you ordering a higher trim that has blind spot monitoring?
Not at the moment, we already pay a massive premium here in the UK I just can't justify it. The Laramie was costing the equivalent of $88,000

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I was told that originally, Group B would have the Blind Spot Monitoring, but FCA ran out. So it was removed from the package. When we were looking for a truck to buy earlier this month, most Rams we found with Blind Spot monitoring were Level 1 and Level 2 trucks built pre-shortage. The 2021 Laramie we bought was built in September 2021 and had a Level 1 Laramie package. I suspect that it will be luck-of-the draw getting Blind Spot Monitoring on an ordered Ram right now.
Laramies used to have the Laramie Level 1 Equipment Group and Laramie Level 2 Equipment Group. Both of these included BSM. Then in late MY 2021 they removed BSM from both equipment groups and renamed them to Laramie Level A Equipment Group and Laramie Level B Equipment Group. BSM was never included in either Group A or Group B, as it was the removal of BSM that caused the name change.

HandyCruiser

Reaction score
Laramies used to have the Laramie Level 1 Equipment Group and Laramie Level 2 Equipment Group. Both of these included BSM. Then in late MY 2021 they removed BSM from both equipment groups and renamed them to Laramie Level A Equipment Group and Laramie Level B Equipment Group. BSM was never included in either Group A or Group B, as it was the removal of BSM that caused the name change.
I believe you are correct about Group B never having Blind Spot Monitoring. Here's a table showing the changes made:

LevelComparison.jpg

Here are the groups:

Laramie Level 1 Equipment Package (P1) (A66) - Includes Auto High-Beam Headlamp Control, rain-sensing windshield wipers, Blind Spot Monitoring with Rear Cross-Path and Trailer Detection, foam bottle inserts (front doors only), tailgate-ajar switch, power-release tailgate, 60/40 stadium-folding rear bench with manual recline and center 20-percent fold-down console (not available with Quad Cab®), and ParkSense Front and Rear Park Assist with Rear ParkSense Stop.

Laramie Level 2 Equipment Package (P2) (A67) - Includes P1 Equipment Package, Uconnect 4C NAV, wireless charging pad (available with bucket seats only), premium plus sound system, heated rear seat (three adjustment levels each) and rear underseat storage (Crew Cab models only)

Laramie Level A Equipment Group (A76) - Includes: Auto high beam headlamp control; Foam bottle insert (door trim panel); Parksense front/rear park assist with stop; Rain sensitive windshield wipers; Remote tailgate release; Rear 60/40 folding slip recline seat; Tailgate ajar warning lamp.

Laramie Level B Equipment Group (A77) - Includes: Auto high beam headlamp control; Foam bottle insert (door trim panel); Parksense front/rear park assist with stop; Rain sensitive windshield wipers; Remote tailgate release; Rear 60/40 folding slip recline seat; Tailgate ajar warning lamp; 19 speakers Harman Kardon Premium sound; 4G LTE Wi-Fi Hot Spot; Disassociated Touchscreen Display; GPS Navigation; HD Radio; Heated Second Row Seats; Rear Underseat Compartment Storage; SiriusXM Guardian, 1-Year Trial; SiriusXM Traffic Plus, 5-Year SiriusXM Traffic Service; SiriusXM Travel Link, 5-Year Siriusxm Travel Link Service; Uconnect 4C Nav With 8.4" Display.

Last edited:

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I believe you are correct about Group B never having Blind Spot Monitoring. Here's a comparison:

View attachment 101224

The groups are actually far different from just the loss of Blind Spot Monitoring:

Laramie Level 1 Equipment Package (P1) (A66) — Includes Auto High-Beam Headlamp Control, rain-sensing windshield wipers, Blind Spot
Monitoring6 with Rear Cross-Path and Trailer Detection,7 foam bottle inserts (front doors only), tailgate-ajar switch, power-release
tailgate, 60/40 stadium-folding rear bench with manual recline and center 20-percent fold-down console (not available with Quad Cab®),
and ParkSense Front and Rear Park Assist with Rear ParkSense Stop.

Laramie Level 2 Equipment Package (P2) (A67) — Includes P1 Equipment Package, Uconnect 4C NAV, wireless charging pad (available with bucket
seats only), premium plus sound system, heated rear seat (three adjustment levels each) and rear underseat storage (Crew Cab models only)

Laramie Level A Equipment Group (A76) - Includes: Auto high beam headlamp control; Foam bottle insert (door trim panel); Parksense front/rear park assist with stop; Rain sensitive windshield wipers; Remote tailgate release; Rear 60/40 folding slip recline seat; Tailgate ajar warning lamp

Laramie Level B Equipment Group (A77) - Includes: Auto high beam headlamp control; Foam bottle insert (door trim panel); Parksense front/rear park assist with stop; Rain sensitive windshield wipers; Remote tailgate release; Rear 60/40 folding slip recline seat; Tailgate ajar warning lamp; 19 speakers Harman Kardon Premium sound; 4G LTE Wi-Fi Hot Spot; Disassociated Touchscreen Display; GPS Navigation; HD Radio; Heated Second Row Seats; Rear Underseat Compartment Storage; SiriusXM Guardian, 1-Year Trial; SiriusXM Traffic Plus, 5-Year SiriusXM Traffic Service; SiriusXM Travel Link, 5-Year Siriusxm Travel Link Service; Uconnect 4C Nav With 8.4" Display
Not sure of the time frame for your list. Remember that packages change often. The name change from level 1 and 2 to level A and B was initially exclusively for BSM (XAN), as indicated in the table you posted. That was several months ago though, and several changes have likely been made to one or both of those packages. BSM was the first system that was affected by the chip shortage, but other systems have been affected since then. Which would force more changes to equipment packages. Regardless, what "used to be" isn't really important to someone looking for a new truck now.

HandyCruiser

Reaction score
Not sure of the time frame for your list. Remember that packages change often. The name change from level 1 and 2 to level A and B was initially exclusively for BSM (XAN), as indicated in the table you posted. That was several months ago though, and several changes have likely been made to one or both of those packages. BSM was the first system that was affected by the chip shortage, but other systems have been affected since then. Which would force more changes to equipment packages. Regardless, what "used to be" isn't really important to someone looking for a new truck now.

What they "used to be" is important because new trucks with the old packages are still sitting on many lots. Right now (July 2021), there is a lot of confusion out there at the dealerships over this. So a buyer needs to be aware of the changes and what to look for.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
What they "used to be" is important because new trucks with the old packages are still sitting on many lots. Right now (July 2021), there is a lot of confusion out there at the dealerships over this. So a buyer needs to be aware of the changes and what to look for.
You're right, I mis-spoke. What I meant to say is that it's not really important to someone looking to order new truck now. For someone looking to buy off the lot it's more important to look at the build sheet to see exactly what a truck they are considering is equipped with. People discussing this on a forum isn't the right place for that kind of research because people can and do post misinformation. Then you have conflicting information, leaving it up to the person doing the research try to determine which is correct.

HandyCruiser

Reaction score
You're right, I mis-spoke. What I meant to say is that it's not really important to someone looking to order new truck now. For someone looking to buy off the lot it's more important to look at the build sheet to see exactly what a truck they are considering is equipped with. People discussing this on a forum isn't the right place for that kind of research because people can and do post misinformation. Then you have conflicting information, leaving it up to the person doing the research try to determine which is correct.

I respect what you are trying to say. But in aggregate, you will find more useful information on a forum like this than anywhere else. Often, the information in official sources is lacking or incomplete compared to we find on forums. On this forum, members like you and I call each other out on our mistakes. And if we are adults about it, we learn from one another. Later, new members find those conversations and can then apply what we have found and debated. Here we can make comparisons and share information that dealers and even those that designed our trucks cannot. And this grows even more important for other people as the vehicles we discuss age. In most cases, enthusiasts will discover esoteric facts about their vehicles no one else would take the time to learn. Among all the dirt, there is gold to be mined from forums like this.

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well said. I've learned a ton on this forum. There's plenty of fun and some good natured ribbing with virtually no trolling. We all ebb and flow with the quality of communication online. It's just part of it.

Grace shown is rarely a mistake, in my opinion.

Last edited:

Liquid Li0n

Reaction score
I am from Belgium and just like the situation from our UK @m11rphy I also pay a lot for the truck compared to the prices in the US. He told me that all 2021's were sold so that I will automatically get a 2022. Which I don't mind cause then I have the Uconnect 5, wireless Android Auto, the better interior filters, etc. But I do want to have ALL the options he mentioned on the invoice which includes level 2 equipment group with the BSM and all the other bells and whistles.
I wonder if the dealer knows what I read/learned from here on the forum. If it doesn't come with the BSM or other options, and it can't be retrofitted from a 2021 version or so, he needs to give me a big discount!

m11rphy

Reaction score
I am from Belgium and just like the situation from our UK @m11rphy I also pay a lot for the truck compared to the prices in the US. He told me that all 2021's were sold so that I will automatically get a 2022. Which I don't mind cause then I have the Uconnect 5, wireless Android Auto, the better interior filters, etc. But I do want to have ALL the options he mentioned on the invoice which includes level 2 equipment group with the BSM and all the other bells and whistles.
I wonder if the dealer knows what I read/learned from here on the forum. If it doesn't come with the BSM or other options, and it can't be retrofitted from a 2021 version or so, he needs to give me a big discount!
My dealer told me the the 2022s won't have the BSM or the Advance Safety Group and I would have to order a Limited

Hasti17

Reaction score
My dealer told me the the 2022s won't have the BSM or the Advance Safety Group and I would have to order a Limited
Regardless of Shortages or individual use Cases, this Seems like a Low blow to Not even offer Those Features for all the people willing to pony up 50-65k on a less than limited when these features come standard on a lot of 25k passenger cars

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Regardless of Shortages or individual use Cases, this Seems like a Low blow to Not even offer Those Features for all the people willing to pony up 50-65k on a less than limited when these features come standard on a lot of 25k passenger cars
Not saying I agree or disagree with you, but what would you do instead if you were having to make the decisions on how to deal with the shortages? I'm sure they would be happy to still include those features on the lower trim levels if they had enough parts. It would mean they could charge the buyer more for the truck.

Hasti17

Reaction score
Not saying I agree or disagree with you, but what would you do instead if you were having to make the decisions on how to deal with the shortages? I'm sure they would be happy to still include those features on the lower trim levels if they had enough parts. It would mean they could charge the buyer more for the truck.
I Would not Even Begin to Speculate as to the depth of Internal Approval needed to make this decision, However, GM at least Made it clear to dealers And prospective buyers that tech features like these are not currently Orderable. They Didn't erase them from Their current offerings, they Just made them unavailable to order. telling buyers, "Yea, we cant order blind spot monitoring right NOW." Would sit better than saying "Its not Even an option on anything under a sticker of 65k" in my opinion. Its not Even like there is a difference. Just may come off differently to consumers.

Users who are viewing this thread