5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Would not having the advance safety group stop you ordering?

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I always love how a lot of these comments basically boil down to "I'm an old man and been doing this thing forever and don't need your new fangled do dads". It always seems to come up when anyone asks opinions on anything to do with tech in the truck.

I'm 49 and grew up on a farm driving every type of vehicle since I was 8. And yet, I don't feel like an "old man".
At 58 I'm kind of an old man, but I like some of these new fangled do dads. It's obviously not a matter of need for anyone, but for me it's a matter of liking cool new things. I don't use all of the features in the ASG, but the ACC is one of my favorite things on this truck.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
At 58 I'm kind of an old man, but I like some of these new fangled do dads. It's obviously not a matter of need for anyone, but for me it's a matter of liking cool new things. I don't use all of the features in the ASG, but the ACC is one of my favorite things on this truck.
My truck didn't have any of this so I added it all. ACC is one of my favorite things.

bucolic

Reaction score
I drive about 20K a year right now with probably 12K of that highway driving. I run up and down the East Coast from upstate NY to the Wilmington NC area to visit my father about every other month. 750 miles one way. My work commute is about 12 miles round trip.

For the work commute, I don't need the ASG at all. Maybe the emergency braking for those times we have ALL experienced when something distracted us and the stop was a little too close for comfort but no need for any of it if driving back and forth to work and running errands.

On the 750 mile trips:

1. ACC is a must for me. It is probably my favorite. Running up and down those stretches of 81 or 95 it is really nice. For me in this driving scenario, it would be a deal-breaker.
2. Lane Keep assist is ahh...ok. I could live without it if it wasn't there. It does remind me to put on my turn signal for those times I forget :)
3. Blind spot monitoring I could also live without it.

I would say if you travel a lot of highway miles it is very nice with the ACC having spoiled me. I don't look at them as driving aids as much as comfort features on par with heated seats and steering wheels. If used as intended, like a radio, they shouldn't interfere with your driving ability. If you put on ACC and read a book..well..you're not supposed to do that.

Now for all the "Old Timers" and that does include me at 58. I've been driving since I was 15 (yeah one year illegal) so that would have been 1978.

We really don't need any of the comfort and convenience items! I drove a 48 Ford pickup for 4 years with no radio, no power steering, no power brakes, no air conditioning, and barely a heater! The gas tank was in the cab behind the seat. Why waste money on putting it anywhere else? If you are a good driver then gosh darn you shouldn't have an accident and it's fine there! Power steering and brakes?? For babies. Air conditioning? Come on toughen up? That 48 had a nice big vent in the hood. You pulled the lever it opened up and blew all the dirt and crap on the floor up in your face. Kept you alert! Heater and heated seats? Can't be too comfortable you might fall asleep. Radio and subwoofers? Hell, just another thing to distract you. Rip out that radio and pay attention to the road. Power windows? I was lucky if they rolled up and down on that ole Ford! Took two hands to crank em! Blackout packages and 35 tires? What a waste of money.

I say all this in jest but everyone draws the line at what they think is needed a bit differently. I love to drive and I love tech! I don't miss double clutching in that ole 48 Ford and the rear sliding window is kinda nice in these new-fangled trucks of today!

BThiesing

Reaction score
The only thing I miss is the pedestrian cross traffic alert. Blind spot was nice with/without my trailer too but ill get that all on my next ram. Trade in was too good for me to pass up. Never had ACC but my wife's car has it and it's cool. Now I'm back to the old ways of solely relying on my eyes and ears when reversing into a roadway lol

dannymcd

Reaction score
I personally will never buy a new car without adaptive cruise, but I put alot of miles on the highway and I tow a camper pretty often in the summer, so it's pretty important to me, it really reduces the stress of towing. I could live without it if I had to but it's a very large investment to not get exactly what you want. It's a tough market too because they're flying off the shelves, so it's not like they're going to be hurting for your business and will give you a great deal to take it. I feel for you, that's certainly a very tough one to figure out, best of luck.

gpbst3

Reaction score
If im not mistaken the ASG requires a Laramie level 2 package which is about a 4 grand upcharge. I did not see anything in the level 2 package that would justify $4000, unless you needed it to get the ASG.

BluegrassMotorsport

Reaction score
If im not mistaken the ASG requires a Laramie level 2 package which is about a 4 grand upcharge. I did not see anything in the level 2 package that would justify $4000, unless you needed it to get the ASG.
The Ram builder will let you add ASG without Laramie B, so you save ~$2500 by getting Laramie A. I'm having the same debate with myself now as I'm considering ordering a 2022 and I'm torn between A & B, but I'd like to have ASG either way. Laramie B is a big upcharge but it works out to about $30 per month in the long run and I'd like to have the H/K system, if it's any good. It's great in the Audi I'll be trading.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I always love how a lot of these comments basically boil down to "I'm an old man and been doing this thing forever and don't need your new fangled do dads". It always seems to come up when anyone asks opinions on anything to do with tech in the truck.

I'm 49 and grew up on a farm driving every type of vehicle since I was 8. And yet, I don't feel like an "old man".

They said the same about ABS brakes and airbags..
Damn those things we'll die like men 😂

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I pushed my first car ('71 Superbeetle with shift-o-matic) through more intersections than I drove it through. Some of us don't even need ENGINES to be a man!!!

BluegrassMotorsport

Reaction score
Update: Just got an email back from Mark CDJR and ASG isn't available at all on the Laramie for 2022... for now. They have no estimate when it will be available again. But it's still available on Longhorn and Limited trims.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had a 19 and now a 21, both had these options and I really haven’t used them. A few things are nice but you haven’t had it, you won’t miss it! Ask for more money off and be happy that you have a new truck with no more wait time😁 enjoy your new truck👍🏻

greenlawnracing

Reaction score
I only read one or two of the replies, but will tell you I had the same situation earlier this year.

this was a must have for me, so I spent way more than I wanted and bought a limited so that I could get these features.

I did have adaptive cruise control in a 2008 work car for a couple of years, not sure why I thought I could live without it.

for reference, my prior truck was 2001 Ford F2 50. If I only do it every 20 years, I guess I better go all in

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My Level 1 BigHorn doesn’t have ASG. The only feature that I would really use is BSM. That said, the little integrated blind spot mirrors in the side view mirrors are very good and easy to use.. they are much better than the ones on my 2015 Sierra. I really never got used to them on the GMC.. I am very comfortable driving my RAM without ASG.

Last edited:

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm not old, unless you're 19 and think I am!! Seriously though, I have a car in my garage right now that many people forget didn't have a single cup holder, the radio was a 4 speaker stereo system, power windows were an option, not standard, and there were no airbags or ABS brakes. Those were the days when driving was enjoyable.

broken_vet

Reaction score
Many good replies here, and I'll mention some things to maybe consider.

How much do you trust the other drivers on the road?

If ever, how often will you have children or other passengers in the truck?

Where you drive, do you feel that these features would give you more peace of mind, or just be more bells and whistles?

m11rphy

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help guys, just some more on situation. The truck isn't for my work it will just be my daily driver although I get the train to work anyway. The main thing I would miss is the adaptive cruise and the reason being is over here we average speed cameras which measure your average speed between 2 points, so you can't simply just break before the camera. The adaptive cruise is good on these roads as you can just set and forget. none of the ASG features are must haves I guess, however for the money the pack costs you do get a lot of features for not a lot of money. Thanks to the guy the for the update on 2022s not having the ASG option either

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm new. I've only had mine for a month. What does the ASG come with? ACC, lane assist, blind spot monitoring, and auto braking? My Laramie came with the Lvl B package.

Users who are viewing this thread