5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Would it look weird if...

31RamIt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have my Ram 1500 with the Maxtrac 2" rear leveling springs. It is currently sitting on the OEM 22" Laramie Night Edition wheels with 305/45R22 Nitto NT420Vs. They are street tires and about 33" tall.

My wife has made it clear she does not like the lowered look and said I could lift the truck instead. I have the 3.5" ReadlyLift SST kit sitting in my garage right now. My question is would it look bad to have the lift with the wheel and tire setup I currently have?

My plan is to eventually get Method MR317 wheels with 35x12.5 Toyo Open Country AT3 tires, but would I be able to get away with this for now? I feel like it might look goofy on street tires.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

I posted a picture for reference.

Attachments

• 20220515_085815.jpg
    20220515_085815.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 158

silverWS6

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Repeat after me... "look here babe, I can't lift the truck with my current tires. My friends, and strangers, will make fun of me. They'll say I skipped leg day, and I can't put that type of reputation on our family name. So I'm ordering Methods and tires."

To answer your question, I think it will look goofy with street tires. If it makes any difference, your truck looks good as is lol

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
It will definitely look goofy. I personally think your truck looks great as it is now

31RamIt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for the compliments on my truck. I think you're right about it looking goofy too. I guess one of the bigger reasons I'm going to do it is because it's pretty near impossible to get in and out of the driveway with the trailer attached because it sits lower and the shank for the hitch hangs down.

I like lifted and lowered trucks, but my wife is a fan of lifted. So, I'm eventually going to do it because it will make us both happy.

She's pretty much hated the look of the truck since it's lowered.

pkman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you like the way it looks now just drive it until new tires or wheels and tires are in the budget. No sense lifting it until you have the tires since you know it may look funny.

31RamIt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can you just flip your hitch over? Put the ball on the high side?
Tried this, but it puts the ball too high. I ended up being able to squeeze past the lip of the driveway with minor scraping.
If you like the way it looks now just drive it until new tires or wheels and tires are in the budget. No sense lifting it until you have the tires since you know it may look funny.
This is the plan I think.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Tell her the lift you have won't work. (You don't want Ready Junk on there anyway) Tell her you have done extensive research and need to go 6 inches. Thow on a 6 inch BDS.

Since this woman has the sense to put her foot down and not let you make it a Cholo truck, she will see how goofy it looks and insist on real tires herself.

It is always better when they think it is thier idea. I did this when I came home with a bone stock Harley once. She did not approve so I broke out the JP Cycles book and some drinks. Bling, bling!

Edit: I just noticed your signature says it is 4x2. Not sure how that would look lifted.

Last edited:

31RamIt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Tell her the lift you have won't work. (You don't want Ready Junk on there anyway) Tell her you have done extensive research and need to go 6 inches. Thow on a 6 inch BDS.

Since this woman has the sense to put her foot down and not let you make it a Cholo truck, she will see how goofy it looks and insist on real tires herself.

It is always better when they think it is thier idea. I did this when I came home with a bone stock Harley once. She did not approve so I broke out the JP Cycles book and some drinks. Bling, bling!

Edit: I just noticed your signature says it is 4x2. Not sure how that would look lifted.
I got the ReadyLift because it was a good deal, but a 6" BDS would be nice. Idk if they make a 4x2 kit though. The 4x2 LOOKS the same I would imagine. I just have the 22" OEM wheels so the hubs are different. Only issue I've seen.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
IMO, a 6" lift with 35's just doesn't look right. The tires look too small. A 4" lift with 35's looks more proportionate or a 6" lift with 37's.

ReadyLift shows that their kits are compatible with 2 or 4WD. I'm not sure why BDS doesn't show that. Looking at ReadyLift and BDS 6" kits...they look identical to me. There is definitely a difference between the ReadyLift 3.5" and the BDS 4" kit. I would pick the BDS kit in that case.

31RamIt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
IMO, a 6" lift with 35's just doesn't look right. The tires look too small. A 4" lift with 35's looks more proportionate or a 6" lift with 37's.

ReadyLift shows that their kits are compatible with 2 or 4WD. I'm not sure why BDS doesn't show that. Looking at ReadyLift and BDS 6" kits...they look identical to me. There is definitely a difference between the ReadyLift 3.5" and the BDS 4" kit. I would pick the BDS kit in that case.
I would prefer the BDS 4" with 35s I think.

Mister 4x4

Reaction score
I do like the 4" w/35s better... looks a bit more proportional.

Oddly enough, the idea of 35s on full size trucks just doesn't seem like that much of a big deal anymore. Here's a shot of a '97 Club Cab (identical to my first Ram) on 35s - kind of illustrates just how much bigger our trucks have gotten over the years.

35inches.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread