5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wondering the possibility (and the cost) of adding OEM HUD on 2019-2020 models

laoxu

Reaction score
Personally, I think the HUD (Heads-Up Display) is amazing (I had it in my last car and love it) and now 2021 models have it.
I understand it will be complex and costly. Just wondering if it is possible and the cost.
Because the 2021 parts are not available today on the Mopar site, the following is just my guess of what's needed.
Here is the idea,
1. Replace the Instrument Panel (you need a new opening for the HUD device)
2. HUD device and harness
3. Some new/replacement controller parts?

Again, it's just a PLANNING or fantasy.
If you have the same interest and want to discuss it, please share the idea. Let's see how it goes.

Badmonkey

Reaction score
Been thinking about this myself. This and swapping to a 33 gallon tank. I do not have the time to look into this so, I am gonna troll this for a bit.

Maybe able to cut the dash, but most are not comfortable with that more than likely. The way this truck is, I can imagine if they have to update just to install bed lights or factory steps, I do not see this being too reasonable. I want it myself. Does the window have a custom coating to help with reflection? I am sitting at a dealer waiting on service. Think I am going tobsee if any on the lot have it. Curious tonsee the fit.

TravisJ

Reaction score
The HUD Display involves an entirely different dash I believe. Maybe you could cut the current one to make it work...but for the cost to try and add something afterwards I cannot imagine cutting the dash.

laoxu

Reaction score
Been thinking about this myself. This and swapping to a 33 gallon tank. I do not have the time to look into this so, I am gonna troll this for a bit.

Maybe able to cut the dash, but most are not comfortable with that more than likely. The way this truck is, I can imagine if they have to update just to install bed lights or factory steps, I do not see this being too reasonable. I want it myself. Does the window have a custom coating to help with reflection? I am sitting at a dealer waiting on service. Think I am going tobsee if any on the lot have it. Curious tonsee the fit.
Glad to know I'm not alone. I don't think a custom coating is needed in recent years. At least I can't see the difference in the glass on my Mazda with HUD. I know there is some aftermarket HUD that requires you to stick a piece of coated glass onto the windshield, and I saw that coated piece on an old Nissan (2000s) with OEM HUD (speedometer only) before. Looks like nowadays OEM HUD can project onto the normal windshield glass.

laoxu

Reaction score
The HUD Display involves an entirely different dash I believe. Maybe you could cut the current one to make it work...but for the cost to try and add something afterwards I cannot imagine cutting the dash.
I believe no one wants to cut the dash on his loved car. lol
Looks like at least two parts need to be cut as below. And also need to figure out how to mount the HUD parts.
It's a simple choice: Pay $ 800-900 OR cut. lol
That's why I say it's PLANNING. Know the budget then make the choice.
Most probably the final choice for me will be: I don't have that money and I don't want to cut my car. I just give up. lol
Life is compromising.
1615241891332.png
Then

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
There are lots of aftermarket options out there for a lot less work and $$. And many of them give you more features than you can get with the OEM HUD.

Rsorrell2

Reaction score
This is the first year with HUD.

Wait until next year and trade in for a newer model

or replace the entire dash

Kilroy

Reaction score
This was why I waited for the 2021 model year and looked for one with the tech group for the HUD. The electronic rearview mirror takes some getting used to but I like it alot.
Seems like a whole lot of work and money if you ask me, just trade for a newer model with all the goodies you want.
With that said, if they make the Uconnect 5 an option to upgrade I will do that.

Users who are viewing this thread