5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Woke up this morning to 3.2 volts on my battery.

FastBlackRam

Reaction score
UPDATE - My battery has not shown any signs of discharging overnight or anytime else after the original time last Thursday night. I am writing it off to me leaving something on, or some malfunction in the system that a "negative battery terminal off for a half hour" may have cleaned up.

Don't these vehicles fully power themselves off if you accidentally leave something on? I know it powers down after a time if you turn it off and stay inside. My BMWs have always had that feature. If you accidentally leave on an interior light for example, after a timeout it removes power when the vehicle is turned off and you exit. Now the Ram is no BMW as far as technology is concerned, but nowadays there is no excuse to not have that feature under the covers.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
UPDATE - My battery has not shown any signs of discharging overnight or anytime else after the original time last Thursday night. I am writing it off to me leaving something on, or some malfunction in the system that a "negative battery terminal off for a half hour" may have cleaned up.

Don't these vehicles fully power themselves off if you accidentally leave something on? I know it powers down after a time if you turn it off and stay inside. My BMWs have always had that feature. If you accidentally leave on an interior light for example, after a timeout it removes power when the vehicle is turned off and you exit. Now the Ram is no BMW as far as technology is concerned, but nowadays there is no excuse to not have that feature under the covers.
From the 2019 (DT) Owners Manual:
Battery Saver

To protect the life of your vehicle’s battery, load shedding is provided for both the interior and exterior lights. If the ignition is OFF and any door is left ajar for 10 minutes, or the dimmer control is rotated all the way up to the dome on position for 10 minutes, the interior lights will automatically turn off.

NOTE: Battery saver mode is canceled if the ignition is ON. If the headlights remain on while the ignition is cycled OFF, the exterior lights will automatically turn off after eight minutes. If the headlights are turned on and left on for eight minutes while the ignition is OFF, the exterior lights will automatically turn off.

INTERIOR LIGHTS Courtesy and dome lights are turned on when the front doors are opened, the ambient dimmer control is rotated to the highest detent, or the Illuminated Entry ON button is pushed on the overhead console. Also, if your vehicle is equipped with Remote Keyless Entry, and the unlock button is pushed on the key fob, the courtesy and dome lights will turn on.
END

I once noticed that my cargo light was on when I had the tailgate down and the engine was switched off. I did not close the tailgate. When I returned about 30 minutes later the cargo lamp was off.

In your case it's possible that a relay remained energized in the TIPM by fluke coincidence, causing a drain.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 050343 miles.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
"That's never going to happen to me cause I regularly (weekly) charge it overnight..."

Ol' Murphy heard me say that so this morning, I go and open the door to the 2019 Limited (stock) and the power running boards don't deploy, and there's no warning bells/chimes/lights on the dash. Hmmm. :unsure:

So I's checks the battery and when it usually is down to 12.1 or 12,2 volts after a few days, today is was: 2.3 volts! WTF! o_O

I know my digital microprocessor charger doesn't work if the battery is below 8-8.5 volts, so I had to go get the ol' lead acid jump pack, hook it up for 10 minutes to "fool" the charger with a surface charge (11.6v after 10 minutes), then it started to charge.

These OEM lead acid batteries and the parasitic drains are a PITA! If I hadn't checked, for sure wifey would have wanted to go somewhere...

Users who are viewing this thread