5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wobble side to side

RamRebelSteel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I carry approximately 1400 lbs in payload 24/7(welding rig) in my long bed crew cab 6.7 Cummins. I bought the truck last may and I now have 14,000 miles. When i first had the set up i didnt experience the wobble but as it started breaking in it got worse. It only happens when I hit bumps,dips or anything that will make my truck go up and down vertically going 50 mph+ so usually on the interstates. The result is a side to side wobble that feels like it comes from the rear. I was thinking of getting air bags installed or upgrading the shocks to fix the problem. Maybe both? All I remember is I had the same problem on my 2014 RCSB ram that was lowered 4" in the back. I purchased a spohn adjustable panhard bar to center the wheels and it fixed the problem completely. So maybe the same can apply to this one since it got lowered(leveled) in the rear with the 1400 lb set up I have on the bed. Any help from y'all would be great.

(UPDATE) I took my truck in to the dealer and they talked about voiding the warranty from adding air bags lol. The problem was a loose bolt in the 4 link suspension. Has nothing to do with airbags)

IMG_20190404_215907_347.jpg

Last edited:

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you didn't have issues when it was new, I'd start looking for things that are worn out and fixing them before adding more parts to diagnose to the equation. Do you have ANY other symptoms at all, or just extra sway? I'd look immediately at the shocks at all four corners to make sure they're not blown. With only 14,000 miles on the truck, even those should be under warranty. What's your payload capacity on the truck (door sticker)? If you're not running overloaded every day, I'd make this a dealership problem and get it covered under warranty.

RamRebelSteel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you didn't have issues when it was new, I'd start looking for things that are worn out and fixing them before adding more parts to diagnose to the equation. Do you have ANY other symptoms at all, or just extra sway? I'd look immediately at the shocks at all four corners to make sure they're not blown. With only 14,000 miles on the truck, even those should be under warranty. What's your payload capacity on the truck (door sticker)? If you're not running overloaded every day, I'd make this a dealership problem and get it covered under warranty.
I found the problem. One of the bolts on the driver side 4 link suspension was loose. The only thing holding it from popping off was the shock. Way to go Mopar... It was literally causing the rear axle to flex left and right. Whats funny is that I added air bags on Wednesday and during the process I found the loose bolt and I even recorded it and the dealer still talked about voiding the warranty lol

Brain h

Reaction score
I found the problem. One of the bolts on the driver side 4 link suspension was loose. The only thing holding it from popping off was the shock. Way to go Mopar... It was literally causing the rear axle to flex left and right. Whats funny is that I added air bags on Wednesday and during the process I found the loose bolt and I even recorded it and the dealer still talked about voiding the warranty lol
I'm having the same vibration from side to side coming from the rear..like I'm driving over cobblestones. Could you post a pic or explain which bolt you are referring to ?
Thanks in advance

RamRebelSteel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm having the same vibration from side to side coming from the rear..like I'm driving over cobblestones. Could you post a pic or explain which bolt you are referring to ?
Thanks in advance
Mine literally swayed left to right at high speeds every time I hit a bump on the highway. It was the lower control arm bolt that connects the arm to the axle

Users who are viewing this thread