5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wobble at 5K miles, Cupping at 15K miles...new new front tires

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Dropping my truck off at the dealer on Monday so I wanted to have some ammo ready. Truck has 25K miles on and 15 months of service. Hauling about 5K of that (in the bed, not towing). Tire pressure is 39 all around on OEM wheels & Tires.

2021 Limited w/ Air + 22" wheels on the stock Michelins.
Note, October of 2021, I swapped my wheels for Laramie Chrome 20s wrapped in Blizzaks and put the summer (OEM) wheels & tires back on in May so the OEM tires only have about 15K miles on them at most despite odometer being at 25K.

---

The wobble started a few months after taking delivery around 5 Miles.I had not done any modifications to the suspension and this was OEM wheels + tires mounted & balanced from the factory. I had heard these trucks have some wobble so I really didn't do much about it. Then when I put my summer wheels & tires back on in May, I made a point to rotate them from where they were last Summer. The wobble continued only at specific speeds on the interstate and unloaded. Last week, I hydroplaned for about 100 feet and it scared the carp out of me so I decided to check wear on all 4 tires and the front two tires are cupping pretty bad with the outside of the tire about 50% more worn than the inside (positive camber)

I finally today setup an appointment to drop off the truck next week. Assuming the car is in alignment, I'll at least have to replace the 2 front tires for my own safety. Do I just keep my receipts and wait for this to happen again and then if it does happen again, check alignment and I can then tell RAM that it's a suspension issue?

I have the 125K miles warranty but if doesn't cover tires, alignment, brakes, etc.

Just wanted to get my ducks in a row in anticipation for the service visit next week. It is probably that I can't prove the truck's suspension is out of whack until I go ahead and buy new tires out of pocket and pay for an alignment? Then wait for them to wobble / cup again? It sucks to have to buy new tires so close to winter (I put Winters on in one month).

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I swap my oem tires during the 1st 1000 miles but several member here have mentioned oem tires go out pretty fast and I also believe there is a mentioned that tires wear uneven on air suspension.
I know it sucks but I would just eat up the cost of the new tires just due to safety for you, your family and others.

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I ordered new tires (Michelin Defender). They have the highest treadwear in the OEM size. Looking to optimize fuel economy and longevity over look or any off-road abilities.

RAM looked at my truck. No charge but they pulled all codes, looked at the air suspension for uniformity and alignment and did an alignment check and they gave the truck a clean bill of health. so presumably I'm good and it's just the OE tires that are total crap.

Looking at Tire Rack, maybe it's just they're bad tires (Goodyear Eagle Touring)
zTThRKt.png

Users who are viewing this thread