5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

wiring diagram and/or brake light switch attached to brake pedal

Pop's Ram

Reaction score
Per my signature, I have a 2019 Laramie edition - absolutely love it. I have been searching for a wiring diagram for this model,, but haven't found one. Specifically, I am looking for the brake light switch that is activated every time I step on the brake pedal. Reason? I tow my truck behind my RV, and if I find that wiring, I can hook up a tiny light that will show me (via the rear view camera in my RV) when the brakes are activated while being towed. Does anyone have a diagram? I am not a mechanic, but somewhat handy, and I have tried to find the brake light switch attached to the brake pedal many times. Maybe I'm just not seeing it. Anyway, anyone know where I can find the wiring for the brake light switch to tap into?

THANKS in advance!

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Per my signature, I have a 2019 Laramie edition - absolutely love it. I have been searching for a wiring diagram for this model,, but haven't found one. Specifically, I am looking for the brake light switch that is activated every time I step on the brake pedal. Reason? I tow my truck behind my RV, and if I find that wiring, I can hook up a tiny light that will show me (via the rear view camera in my RV) when the brakes are activated while being towed. Does anyone have a diagram? I am not a mechanic, but somewhat handy, and I have tried to find the brake light switch attached to the brake pedal many times. Maybe I'm just not seeing it. Anyway, anyone know where I can find the wiring for the brake light switch to tap into?

THANKS in advance!
You are not going to like this but there is no switch. It is a brake pedal travel sensor that provides an input to the ABS module.
You could tap into the 7-way trailer connector but I don't know if that circuit goes to sleep after a set time. Could ask the people in the trailer towing sub-forum for ideas.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Maybe I'm missing something, but why would the brakes ever be activated while you are towing it? There isn't anyone back there to step on the pedal is there?

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the education. So you'll be installing diodes in the brake lights, and that might be a perfectly good place to connect the monitor harness, if they gave you enough wire. You could maybe tap into the circuit somewhere further forward if you knew where to find it, which I do not.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
As mentioned above, there is no switch like in the olden days.

I would investigate the trailer harness. Does it power up when the brakes are pushed with the key off? If so, fuse F9 or F10 in the underhood fuse box would be the place to slip a fuse tap and wire up your indicator. They are what power the trailer stop/turn signals.

Pop's Ram

Reaction score
Maybe I'm missing something, but why would the brakes ever be activated while you are towing it? There isn't anyone back there to step on the pedal is there?
Not a person, but a brake controller that should activate the brakes based on a change it senses while moving. I'd like to know when the brakes in the truck get activated via the light.

knied1

Reaction score
I know this is an onl post, but I am doing the same thing to a 2001 Larime.

We're you able to come up with a solution?

Much appreciated

Pop's Ram

Reaction score
I know this is an onl post, but I am doing the same thing to a 2001 Larime.

We're you able to come up with a solution?

Much appreciated
Nope - gave up as it might be beyond my limited capabilities with vehicle wiring and electronics.

knied1

Reaction score
Nope - gave up as it might be beyond my limited capabilities with vehicle wiring and electronics.
So then when you flat tow I assume you don't have a warning light?

Thanks for the reply

Pop's Ram

Reaction score
I do not have an visual or audible method of knowing if the braking system has activated the truck brakes behind my RV. I'm sure iot works, but it would be nice to get feedback somehow. The system came with a light that would mount in the top of the windshield, but as I indicated, I can't figure out a way to wire it. If I did, I would be able to see it in the RVs rear camera.

knied1

Reaction score
OK So here goes...... I decided to try a few things today.

My camper has the light on the dashboard of the camper, and the signal is sent thru the umbilical using the blue brake signal wire.
I ended up running a wire from the front of the truck to the back tail light and tied it in before the diodes for turn signals and brake lights. at first it seemed like everything was working properly but after a full run thru.... when the right turn signal is on and i hit the brakes the turn signal on the truck stops blinking. take the foot off the brake (in the camper) and the turn signal operates properly again. This is only on the right hand side of the truck and only when connected to the camper.

What I`m thinking now is i need another Diode but in the line that feeds the brake indicator light. .... I believe now I need to install it pointing toward the indicator light this way power cant back feed to the tail light.

Ill let you know my results when it comes in.... I ordered the diode from Amazon and it wont be in until Wednesday but if someone finds a flaw with my logic I`m happy to hear it.

Thanks,

knied1

Reaction score
So my Idea didn't work, but what i did find is that Roadmaster makes a Kit part number 751000 that is a universal fit and will allow for the brake warning light / alarm work properly. They have them on their website for a little over $100, but i was able to find one on E-Bay for $50.

Hope this helps the next person trying to get the setup working.

Happy travels

Pop's Ram

Reaction score
So my Idea didn't work, but what i did find is that Roadmaster makes a Kit part number 751000 that is a universal fit and will allow for the brake warning light / alarm work properly. They have them on their website for a little over $100, but i was able to find one on E-Bay for $50.

Hope this helps the next person trying to get the setup working.

Happy travels
This looks like it should work - Knied1 - have you installed AND tried it yet? Thanks for posting!

Users who are viewing this thread