5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wireless QI charger and UBSC port

Reaction score
Hey.

Been looking around for answers but nothing really came to a conclusion. So let's see if any automotive electrical gurus can help. I think I already know what I have to do (ugh)....

So I got a Course Automotive cellphone mount for my truck both a magnetic one and auto-closing. When I installed and plugged either one in they would charge phone for 1 sec and then go on-off-on-off etc... So I plugged into the auxiliary plug on the dash and everything is fine - I plugged into the USB in center console and again we are good.

The 4 USB port under the radio on the other hand are the ones having issues. My search on here indicates that it should work. I am under the impression that these are good for 5 volts @ 2.5amps (Manual snippet) and 5v @ 3amps type-c and 5v @ 2.5amps type-a (RamCare post on another thread)

My issue is the magnetic charge is 5 volts @ 2.4amps. So technically I'm under the USB port ratings. So why will it not work? The bigger question is

With all that being said, why would the ports under the radio be any different than the one in the console. They are all USB, so one would assume they would all work at the same ratings.

Any clue?

I'm trying to avoid the auxiliary power port (cig lighter) as I ran my usbc cable behind the radio when installing the mount to hide it.

If all else fails, I guess I'll have to buy an auxiliary 12v socket and splice it with the one that is there. As I would install it behind the radio so I can still hide my cable. If I do this, would splicing into the wires be my best course of action? Its def the easiest.

Thanks in advance.

20211106_095214.jpg

20211106_095238.jpg

AMS Guru

AMS Guru, Ram Guru-ish
Reaction score
I'm not completely sure, but there's a chance that with the CANBUS and PWM wiring in these trucks it doesn't like the Qi charger plugged into the USB regardless of the output. Also, you mention 5 volts @ 2.4 amps on the mag charger. Is that the OUTPUT rating of that charger or the required INPUT? If that's the output it will take more than that for an input to function with loss of efficiency.

Reaction score
I'm not completely sure, but there's a chance that with the CANBUS and PWM wiring in these trucks it doesn't like the Qi charger plugged into the USB regardless of the output. Also, you mention 5 volts @ 2.4 amps on the mag charger. Is that the OUTPUT rating of that charger or the required INPUT? If that's the output it will take more than that for an input to function with loss of efficiency.
That is the input required. Output is 15w/10w/7.5w/5w depending on what your phone is cable of.

In any case, I decided to just splice in a 12v socket behind the dash so that I could just use the 12v power plug and hide it and the wiring behind the dash. Everything is working just fine now. I know these trucks are can be picky with the CANBUS and PWM wiring I've done a few add-on with lighting stuff. The odd part is you'd think if one USB is working (under center console lid) that they would all work as well in the rest of the truck. Could it maybe have something to do with the fact the plug is shared for the audio connection as well? I'm not sure how but maybe that steals power.

I think splicing in the socket and hiding in the back of radio is actually better anyhow. It frees up my front 4 USB ports for others things if needed. I'm getting an AAwireless module (which is was quick started my want for a QI charger) and that will take up 1 USB-C port on a permanent bases more or less.

So far I'm very happy I was able to get the magnetic mount working for my phone. I have the S21 Ultra which is rather large and it was a little finicky figured out exactly where I needed to install the metal halo. Was first having issues with the charge not picking the phone up because of where I placed the magnet.

I've also got the Course Motorsports auto close mount which I'm going to use on a windshield mount for when I'm in other vehicles without a wireless charge. Or if someone is in my truck I can connect it to the top 12v plug. Shouldn't overload it with 2 wireless chargers connected to 2 different 12v sockets. Or sell it, I only got it really because I didn't know if the magnet mount was going to work with my giant heavy but awesome phone. It wasn't exactly cheap.

sd2134

Reaction score
Could be functional issues with the media hub. Ports 1 & 2 in the center stack and port 3 in the rear console are are part of the media hub. The hub lets you connect to the U connect system for things like Android Auto and Apple Car Play. The USB port in the console lid and the other port on the rear console are charging only? Might be that the COURSE unit only works with the charge only USB ports since it is more than a basic charging pad.

Users who are viewing this thread