5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wireless Charging Kit with Cubby

TheLegend

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you are interested in adding the Wireless Charging in your truck the below part numbers are what you need to install the system with the cubby to fill the empty space (that is if you don’t already have a CD player or Cubby in your setup). Must have the factory floor mounted center console as well. Yes, there are alternate options that are much cheaper that you can find elsewhere but this is specifically for people who want the OEM Wireless Charger. Also, it’s not a debate whether it’s worth it or not just giving the information to people who want it regardless of opinion.

82215150AG - Wireless Charging Kit
68524507AA - Cubby for Cutout
4 Screws for the Cubby

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Does it charge well or at least keep up with the demand? I have a qi charger which is not really keeping up. Not sure if it’s my case or not. All I run is pandora and Waze

PrdCdn

Reaction score
Everything I've read about the MOPAR charger is it is terrible. I researched and researched this myself... couldn't justify the $800 price tag.
Found these guys... might be a better option.

TheLegend

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does it charge well or at least keep up with the demand? I have a qi charger which is not really keeping up. Not sure if it’s my case or not. All I run is pandora and Waze
I would be lying if I told you I knew the speeds but I’ve heard mixed reviews it seems the newer ones do better than the older ones from everything I’ve read and heard.

TheLegend

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Everything I've read about the MOPAR charger is it is terrible. I researched and researched this myself... couldn't justify the $800 price tag.
They aren’t $800 and the link you posted is only $100 cheaper than the OEM.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Looks like it could work. I bought this one on Amazon. It’s supposed to charge up to 7.5w for iPhone. It just won’t keep up most times, and I have it connected to the inverter with a large brick. Idk if I hold try another case, or a different charger. I wish it would tell me the charging rate somehow.

NANAMI Wireless Charger, Qi... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08Y6D6KG6?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

HandyCruiser

Reaction score
Here's the total I paid for the OEM charger kit, cubby, shipping and sales tax. Not too bad.

1686061040483.png

I know these aren't the greatest phone chargers, but here's the deal. We had started shopping for a new truck for my wife, and we had found a two-tone white and walnut 2023 Limited Longhorn with HUD and most of the other goodies. Trading in the Laramie, we would have gotten about $14,000 equity, but the Longhorn would have still raised my payment about $336 a month. I was ready to do it, but she decided that it wasn't enough of an upgrade over the Laramie for the money. The payoff on her 2021 well-equipped Laramie is only around $28,000. The payments are only around $750 and change, but I've always paid $800. And it pays off in about 2 and a half years. So she just wants to continue driving it. She always wanted the OEM phone charger, which the Longhorn had. So I decided to get it for her along with some new slightly more aggressive tires. I may do a leveling kit as well. That way, it's the same truck but will look and feel a little different. And of course, she can charge her phone wirelessly. :cool:

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I was underwhelmed by the OEM wireless charger. It's a bit finicky as far as placement of the phone and takes forever to charge my iphone 12 pro. I really only used it a couple times shortly after getting the truck, and now we don't use it at all. I'm not saying it's not worth getting, and I wanted this kit back when I had the 2020 Laramie. But now that I've had one I would pass. I hope your sweetie has a better experience with it. (y)

Bobbybob

Reaction score
Two cents…have one that came with the truck and never use it. Just plug mine in. I thought it was funny that you offered a wireless charging pad but not wireless car play! Oh crazy engineers (or bean counters…not sure who made that call). I looked into retro fitting the new head unit but not worth it in the long run. I would save the $$ and buy a plug.

Wtray

Reaction score
I use my wireless charging pad all the time. Instead of the phone just sitting in my pocket I throw it in the holder and it at least keeps up with the demand as long as the screen is off. When using CarPlay I always turn my screen off and just use uconnect screen. also, as I do this, my drives are usually at least 30 min.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Two cents…have one that came with the truck and never use it. Just plug mine in. I thought it was funny that you offered a wireless charging pad but not wireless car play! Oh crazy engineers (or bean counters…not sure who made that call). I looked into retro fitting the new head unit but not worth it in the long run. I would save the $$ and buy a plug.
I’ve added an autobox for wireless CarPlay. It works great! I just wish the wireless qi would keep up with using two apps. Might have to look into a MagSafe solution if this doesn’t work out.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
The OEM one worked fine for my work phone, S10.
My new work phone is a Pixel 6a and I have a USB to QI charger attached and it works fine, but is much much slower.

Wireless chargers in general suck and are slow, if you are using the phone and the screen is on kiss it all goodbye as it will generate too much heat and the phone will throttle the charging input or overheat and shut off or melt.

If you are having problems getting the OEM charger to do try this

You need to make sure it's in the correct spot, and as close to the internal charging coils, if it's a thick case it will likely not charge as fast if at all.

Move you phone onto the charger and let it show charging, then slowly move it to the right until the PHONE says it is not charging (ignore the blue LED on the truck)
Then move it back so it's charging and move it to the left slowly until it stops.

Then try placing it in the MIDDLE of the 2 spots and see how it goes. getting 1% every 5-10 minutes with the screen turned off idle is "about right".

If it's still poor\not working try to move your phone upwards and see how far it goes until it turns off as some phones put the coils WAY too far down. If the phone moves more then .5 inches up your coils are likely too far down and you need to let the phone sit a little higher up.

My Sony Xperia XZ2 Premium for example couldn't use any regular wireless charger mounts (not even home ones) as the coils were too low on the phone to even show as charging when mounted. I had to stack up rubber things for my phone to sit on to have the coils at the correct height. Sony wanted $180 for their "premium wireless charger"

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
The OEM one worked fine for my work phone, S10.
My new work phone is a Pixel 6a and I have a USB to QI charger attached and it works fine, but is much much slower.

Wireless chargers in general suck and are slow, if you are using the phone and the screen is on kiss it all goodbye as it will generate too much heat and the phone will throttle the charging input or overheat and shut off or melt.

If you are having problems getting the OEM charger to do try this

You need to make sure it's in the correct spot, and as close to the internal charging coils, if it's a thick case it will likely not charge as fast if at all.

Move you phone onto the charger and let it show charging, then slowly move it to the right until the PHONE says it is not charging (ignore the blue LED on the truck)
Then move it back so it's charging and move it to the left slowly until it stops.

Then try placing it in the MIDDLE of the 2 spots and see how it goes. getting 1% every 5-10 minutes with the screen turned off idle is "about right".

If it's still poor\not working try to move your phone upwards and see how far it goes until it turns off as some phones put the coils WAY too far down. If the phone moves more then .5 inches up your coils are likely too far down and you need to let the phone sit a little higher up.

My Sony Xperia XZ2 Premium for example couldn't use any regular wireless charger mounts (not even home ones) as the coils were too low on the phone to even show as charging when mounted. I had to stack up rubber things for my phone to sit on to have the coils at the correct height. Sony wanted $180 for their "premium wireless charger"
Those are good points. I just have a Qi charger in the “phone spot” which is plugged in to the inverter. As I have an iPhone, it won’t charge as fast as an android. MagSafe would be the only faster option.

I may try a different case though. I have an otterbox commuter. CarPlay does indicate that it’s charging (screen off), but the charge really doesn’t rise.

Last edited:

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the wireless charging pad oem in my 19 limited and it sucks A$$ I covered the spot with my switches . I always have my phone plugged in to use CarPlay so no big deal.

HandyCruiser

Reaction score
Finally, I got the "Ramcharger" parts for my sweetie's truck, today. The original online Mopar company I bought from turned out to be slower than Christmas. When I called them last week, 13 days after I made the order, they told me they weren't sure if they could even get the charger. :cautious: So I asked them to cancel my order and they did. I reordered from Word Parts Direct. That's who I have ordered from before. It's the online parts department at a dealership in Garland, TX. They have excellent customer service and checked with the warehouse before they made my order. Got my parts ONLY FIVE DAYS LATER. But the cost was higher. Here's the breakdown:

Ramcharger01.jpg

Everything I need appears to be there, except as mentioned already, I need two screws to secure the cubby.

Ramcharger02.jpg

Luckily, my "bolt drawer" is full of Mopar screws and bolts. So I found these two that worked great.

1687653319035.jpeg

I will try to post some more photos of the actual install. I figure that will happen next weekend. But we will have to see. ;)

Ramcharger04.jpg

Last edited:

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Finally, I got the "Ramcharger" parts for my sweetie's truck, today. The original online Mopar company I bought from turned out to be slower than Christmas. When I called them last week, 13 days after I made the order, they told me they weren't sure if they could even get the charger. :cautious: So I asked them to cancel my order and they did. I reordered from Word Parts Direct. That's who I have ordered from before. It's the online parts department at a dealership in Garland, TX. They have excellent customer service and checked with the warehouse before they made my order. Got my parts ONLY FIVE DAYS LATER. But the cost was higher. Here's the breakdown:

View attachment 161477

Everything I need appears to be there, except as mentioned already, I need two screws to secure the cubby.

View attachment 161474

Luckily, my "bolt drawer" is full of Mopar screws and bolts. So I found these two that worked great.

View attachment 161475

I will try to post some more photos of the actual install. I figure that will happen next weekend. But we will have to see. ;)

View attachment 161476
All that money wasted…. I find the oem charger to be worthless. Or at least on my 19 limited.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Its fine for a phone not actively being used for carplay or android auto or streaming. In those situations with a recent large size phone it barely keeps it level charged.
That’s kinda how my qi charger is. Maybe a MagSafe will be better.

Users who are viewing this thread