5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wireless charging install question

Daniel H

Reaction score
If I don’t have a CD player in my 2020 ram is there anyway to install the wireless charging pad?

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Why would you need the CD player to have the wireless charging pad installed? I am confused o_O

michadoh

Reaction score
I think there's no need for a cd player. Just plug it directly to the power outlet/wire.

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Everything I’ve seen shows something that has to plug-in to the cd player
Not sure what would need to plug into the CD player. But I see what your saying the description on the all Moparparts.com website

Daniel H

Reaction score
Not sure what would need to plug into the CD player. But I see what your saying the description on the all Moparparts.com website
Yea I’m hoping there’s a workaround that’s not too complicated

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Our trucks are pre-wired for just about every option so I can almost guarantee you don’t have to have the CD player.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
My truck doesn't have the CD player or the cubby. But it looks like it shouldn't matter. Looks like the installation is pretty involved though. I'll just stick with the wireless charger I bought from Amazon LOL.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
As someone who have completed this install by himself, It's pretty involved... Not easy and also requires some soldering skills...
I don't see any reason for it not to work without a CD player, You just don't use the cd player plug. The Wireless chargers does not share wires with the CD player.
USB dock has his one wire(2-3 actually) 110V plug on the bottom has his own plug and the charger come with a totally new wire you need to tap to certain harnesses.

Bullitt02797

Reaction score
As someone who have completed this install by himself, It's pretty involved... Not easy and also requires some soldering skills...
I don't see any reason for it not to work without a CD player, You just don't use the cd player plug. The Wireless chargers does not share wires with the CD player.
USB dock has his one wire(2-3 actually) 110V plug on the bottom has his own plug and the charger come with a totally new wire you need to tap to certain harnesses.
Do you still have your non-wireless part? If so would you be willing to part with it? Looking for one to make some custom wireless modifications on.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Do you still have your non-wireless part? If so would you be willing to part with it? Looking for one to make some custom wireless modifications on.
I do have it actually.. i don't know if i want to part with it, I might take the charger when trading the truck in..

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does the wireless charger still charge with the key off? I would love to do this so I can keep my IPod I use for work charging overnight but man what a lengthy install just to avoid having to plug it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Does the wireless charger still charge with the key off? I would love to do this so I can keep my IPod I use for work charging overnight but man what a length my install just to avoid having to plug it up.

No. You need the ignition to be in the ON position and all the doors to be closed. If these two requirements are not met, it will not charge. It took me hours to figure out why the damn thing doesn't work... I started driving and thought I would give it a try.. it worked when driving :oops:
I stopped and opened the door, and it stopped charging immediately. Weird system...

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks. Yep that’s a easy pass for me lol not worth the effort I’ll just plug it up lol.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks. Yep that’s a easy pass for me lol not worth the effort I’ll just plug it up lol.

I mean... It's a nice feature to have... I bought it more then a year ago, when it was still selling at around $120-130... I think it's worth it, for the long road trips...

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yea but in long trips (trust me I make a ton of those) I would be using CarPlay which drains your phone battery pretty good plus I would need to be plugged in for that (yes I know about the wireless CarPlay dongle. Factor in both of those I’m better off just skipping and using the cord lol. Only reason I would really use it like I’ve mentioned above is to charge my IPod overnight which doesn’t help if the truck has to be running for that lol maybe I’ll revisit the idea one day lol.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Yea but in long trips (trust me I make a ton of those) I would be using CarPlay which drains your phone battery pretty good plus I would need to be plugged in for that (yes I know about the wireless CarPlay dongle. Factor in both of those I’m better off just skipping and using the cord lol. Only reason I would really use it like I’ve mentioned above is to charge my IPod overnight which doesn’t help if the truck has to be running for that lol maybe I’ll revisit the idea one day lol.

Oh i gotcha... I use it pretty often because i never use Android auto...
I does sound like it's going to be a waste of money considering your needs...

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/