5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wireless Cell Phone Charger Install

IndianaRam

Reaction score
I just installed the wireless charger in my 2019 Rebel, what a pain in the a**! I can't believe what we pay for these trucks and you don't get it included in a package? Just to give anyone that is thinking about doing this mod some advise. It's $250.00 for the kit from a dealership. I tried to installed it myself, it comes with instructions (53 steps!) and you have to splice wire's in two separate locations. It's a pain, took me 2.5hrs (took my time, didn't want to break any dash clips & first time taking one of these apart), have to take the center console out (4-bolts) and center stack in dash (all clips holding it in) to replace the unit. Plus you have to remove panel under the steering wheel. Make sure you disconnect the battery's negative cable. That wasn't a problem, instructions are very easy to follow. The only problem I had was splicing the wires, first splice into control module harness was easy no problems. Not a lot of room under there. I ran into problems with second splice (Step 35) into fuse panel under steering wheel (which is for the power). Instruction's say plug is on far left but it's wrong, it should be plug on the far right. in the picture you will notice how plugs look when you unhook them. Since I wasn't sure I made an appointment at my local Dodge dealership to finish it just to make sure, didn't want cut and screw up wrong wiring. Also make sure you plug all harness back in all the way, if not your truck won't start and you'll start cursing up a storm, like I did.

I figured I'd wait for the truck, since how long could it take to hook up one wire and reflash the computer (which I didn't know till I read the complete instructions ( it says it on the last page/step), so you have to take it to them anyway to get it to work). Which they charge $130 to reflash. It took the idiot doing it over 2.5hrs to connect one wire and reflash the computer! I talked to him because I saw him pull it outside, he said it was a pain and he broke the wire trying to connect it. They charged me $265.00 for it. They said they gave me a discount, sure I believe that! I'm so mad I will never go back to that dealership again for any work. Next time I'll just do it myself and say hell with it.

Just want to make everyone aware of it and trying to save you guys some money. Sorry didn't take any pictures during the install.

IndianaRam

Reaction score
Double check and make sure that the wires didn't come apart under the steering column. It might be something simple like a loose connection? I haven't had any problems with mine.

MikeHoncho

Reaction score
Is this not an option from factory? I believe I saw a ram 1500 already equipped with online somewhere.

Dcburke

Reaction score
I just installed the wireless charger in my 2019 Rebel, what a pain in the a**! I can't believe what we pay for these trucks and you don't get it included in a package? Just to give anyone that is thinking about doing this mod some advise. It's $250.00 for the kit from a dealership. I tried to installed it myself, it comes with instructions (53 steps!) and you have to splice wire's in two separate locations. It's a pain, took me 2.5hrs (took my time, didn't want to break any dash clips & first time taking one of these apart), have to take the center console out (4-bolts) and center stack in dash (all clips holding it in) to replace the unit. Plus you have to remove panel under the steering wheel. Make sure you disconnect the battery's negative cable. That wasn't a problem, instructions are very easy to follow. The only problem I had was splicing the wires, first splice into control module harness was easy no problems. Not a lot of room under there. I ran into problems with second splice (Step 35) into fuse panel under steering wheel (which is for the power). Instruction's say plug is on far left but it's wrong, it should be plug on the far right. in the picture you will notice how plugs look when you unhook them. Since I wasn't sure I made an appointment at my local Dodge dealership to finish it just to make sure, didn't want cut and screw up wrong wiring. Also make sure you plug all harness back in all the way, if not your truck won't start and you'll start cursing up a storm, like I did.

I figured I'd wait for the truck, since how long could it take to hook up one wire and reflash the computer (which I didn't know till I read the complete instructions ( it says it on the last page/step), so you have to take it to them anyway to get it to work). Which they charge $130 to reflash. It took the idiot doing it over 2.5hrs to connect one wire and reflash the computer! I talked to him because I saw him pull it outside, he said it was a pain and he broke the wire trying to connect it. They charged me $265.00 for it. They said they gave me a discount, sure I believe that! I'm so mad I will never go back to that dealership again for any work. Next time I'll just do it myself and say hell with it.

Just want to make everyone aware of it and trying to save you guys some money. Sorry didn't take any pictures during the install.
Can you post pictures of the install instructions please

Sholzer

Reaction score
Yep took one look at the install and said nope. I have to plug my phone in for carplay anyway so I don't really miss it anyway

Last edited:

IndianaRam

Reaction score
It's 14-pages, to large to upload here. I just send you a message, send me your email and I'll send a copy over to you.

Seanbeck1

Reaction score

I’m having trouble with the second splice also! Do you know which wire of which pin was spliced into? The diagram is awful.

Thanks

brotharon

Reaction score
Until Android Auto can be done via Bluetooth/Wifi I have to plug my phone in anyway. Wireless charging is of no use to me in my truck...i suppose my wife could benefit, but I dont drive my truck for the benefit of others, I drive it because it is big and red and barely fits into the parking spots at my office!

Seriously though, wireless charging is cool and all, but it is not a feature that I would use in my truck very often. Had it in a previous vehicle and I still always plugged my phone in so I could use Waze through Android Auto.

Leney

Reaction score
I cant seem to open that link to instructions...
Does anyone have part number, or a different link?
Thanks

JRD

Reaction score
Not sure if this has been noted or not. But oem wireless charging does not work with a phone case.

I have the Apple silicone case (very thin) and it does not work, you have to take your phone out of the case. For me, I just plug my phone in.

asgadf/lkjnadsfg

Reaction score
Not sure if this has been noted or not. But oem wireless charging does not work with a phone case.

I have the Apple silicone case (very thin) and it does not work, you have to take your phone out of the case. For me, I just plug my phone in.
Mine works fine through my phone case. I have a big UAG phone case (Urban Armor Gear), it's a very robust case, and my truck charges the phone perfectly through it. I have to get it in the right position, and it took a minute to figure out where the phone needed to be, but it's 100% reliable when put it where it needs to be.

IndianaRam

Reaction score
Yes, I have a phone case on my phone also and don't have any problems using the wireless factory charger. You do have to make sure the phone is in the correct spot. Unless you do not have the wireless charger option on your truck, which could be why it's not charging?

Atp816

Reaction score
I’m looking into piecing together a kit myself, does anybody happen to know the part number for the wiring harness? Or if it’s even something that can be purchased separately?

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
i think carplay only works through USB on my truck. So if I install this mod, i lose carplay. Is that correct?

Users who are viewing this thread